Single best St Maarten recommendation for 50 year olds

What do you think is the absolute can't miss thing to do while we're in St Maarten? We have never been before. We are two couples, about 50 years old and we like a variety of things, both unique and traditional, and we don't all have the same interests. If you've been before, let me know which tour operator you used. Thanks so much!

20 minutes ago, Spencer71 said:

What do you think is the absolute can't miss thing to do while we're in St Maarten? We have never been before. We are two couples, about 50 years old and we like a variety of things, both unique and traditional, and we don't all have the same interests. If you've been before, let me know which tour operator you used. Thanks so much!

Not to be missed….. https://www.12metre.com

• Thanks 1

Philipsburg (apart from Old San Juan) is by far the best port town, for shopping, dining, drinking, and views. Whatever we do, we always reserve time to hang out in town. It is also a good island for beach time, rivaled by Barbados (I think I know your itinerary based upon your posts). 

• Thanks 1

On 2/14/2024 at 6:23 PM, Spencer71 said:

If it’s a beach requirement, then COCO

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

If it’s a beach requirement, then COCO

Not a beach or even a water requirement, especially since we have stops every day of the cruise. We will be in the water plenty.

Go to Maho to see the planes overhead?  You could take the ferry from the port for a quick and fun ride to Phillipsburg. Walk the town before or after you grab a taxi to Maho for an hour or two.  Haven't done it.  But everyone says it's fun.  Taxis are plentiful.  Just ask the price before getting in.  And don't recommed  wasting time jewelry shopping.  No bargains there.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We were on NCL Viva last week. In St Maarten, we got off the ship first thing and caught a cab to the French side near Pinel Island. We rented kayaks from Caribbean Paddling. We kayaked to Pinel Island, which took about 30 min. It was quite gentle in the waters and very beautiful, we enjoyed the many turtles that kept popping their heads out of the water. Once we parked our kayaks on Pinel Island, we hiked to the other side of the island. Very dry, hot, narrow path. We snorkeled on the other side, but it wasn't the greatest for sealife, but the water was great. Saw a couple without clothing, which was a bit of a surprise to us, but we should have expected it. Hiked back to our kayaks and snorkeled around the area. It was okay, but nothing too great. Kayaked back over, the whole thing took about 4 hours. Our cab driver from the morning met us there and took us to Davi resort. Snorkeling was amazing there, we saw a helicopter, sub, canon, statues, and some good fish. Was there for ~2 hrs. Caught a 5-min cab ride back to the ship. What a fun day!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Captain Bob's speedboat snorkel tour...

https://www.soualigadestinations.com/most-popular-tour-for-cruise-ship-visitors/

Just did this for the 2nd time last month. It has a little bit of everything. You tour the island by extremely fast and fun boat that holds about 15 people (not for those who suffer from motion sickness), make 2 snorkel stops (we saw dolphins, lots of turtles, and stingrays), make a couple beach stops, and stop offshore of Maho Beach to see the planes land. Your captain will tell you all about the island (shout out to Brett, Bob's son, but I'm sure they're all good). There is also lunch served onboard... a choice of about 5 different sandwiches on french baguettes (there was enough for people to have 2 if they wanted), lots of chips, fruit, and unlimited beer, soda, water, and rum.

*Lunch used to be served at a great little bar/restaurant that was sadly destroyed by Hurricane Irma shortly after we were there. I enjoyed the sandwiches but I miss the restaurant and its freshly grilled food.

Edited by OCSC Mike
  • Like 1