Carnival Venezia

2 hours ago, First Aider said:

Carnival did refund the money for the cruise, but not the transportation. They offered us an apology only.

They got my husband confused with my son. They have different birthdays, but never checked it till after the cruise left. We payed in full in November. Why wasn’t it checked then. Then 3 days before the trip they remove him. No explanation at all. We contact them the same day but they don’t return the email until 2 days after the ship left. And with only an apology, they made a mistake with the birthdays. They had my husbands birthday in November. Why didn't they check it?

Someone screwed up royally and it wasn’t us. They didn’t even offer us free drinks on another trip. I just want my money for the bus!!!!

Wow! That really stinks. Sounds like a name mixup on their part.

Since you knew you were not sailing, could you have cancelled the bus? Did the other people traveling on the bus with you still go on the sailing? Hopefully they are sharing part of the bus cost.

50 minutes ago, TravelE said:

Wow! That really stinks. Sounds like a name mixup on their part.

Since you knew you were not sailing, could you have cancelled the bus? Did the other people traveling on the bus with you still go on the sailing? Hopefully they are sharing part of the bus cost.

We were going with 5 other couples so no we could not cancel. We know Carnival is wrong. They need to pay us what they owe us.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2024 at 8:04 AM, First Aider said:

They got my husband confused with my son. They have different birthdays, but never checked it till after the cruise left. We payed in full in November. Why wasn’t it checked then. Then 3 days before the trip they remove him. No explanation at all. We contact them the same day but they don’t return the email until 2 days after the ship left. And with only an apology, they made a mistake with the birthdays. They had my husbands birthday in November. Why didn't they check it?

Someone screwed up royally and it wasn’t us. They didn’t even offer us free drinks on another trip. I just want my money for the bus!!!!

There is 100% an easy solution to make sure this never happens again: get a redress number from the US Government.

From what I've read, it sounds like your son and/or nephew may have 1) both the same name as your husband, and 2) some past legal issues that would get them flagged by Homeland Security or the TSA while traveling. Redress numbers exist for people in these situations: you apply, then DHS does a background check and verification to make sure person X is not person Y (who is getting flagged). They then issue person X a number to use when flying/sailing in the future to make sure they're not mistakenly flagged as person Y.

In this case, you could have just given Carnival that number when checking your husband in, and all of this would have been averted. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

There is 100% an easy solution to make sure this never happens again: get a redress number from the US Government.

From what I've read, it sounds like your son and/or nephew may have 1) both the same name as your husband, and 2) some past legal issues that would get them flagged by Homeland Security or the TSA while traveling. Redress numbers exist for people in these situations: you apply, then DHS does a background check and verification to make sure person X is not person Y (who is getting flagged). They then issue person X a number to use when flying/sailing in the future to make sure they're not mistakenly flagged as person Y.

In this case, you could have just given Carnival that number when checking your husband in, and all of this would have been averted. 

100% this.  

You keep saying Carnival removed your husband from the ship — while this may be the case, it was done so at the direction of US Homeland Security.  They run names on the manifest a few days before sailing, which explains why he was removed 3 days before sailing (which is why people can no longer book a cruise the day before sailing).  I am sure this is not the first time this happened with your husband, not necessarily travel related, but perhaps another issue.  

You also said that Carmival had the wrong birth date for your husband.  You enter the birthday, not Carnival.  They pass along whatever information you put into their system to Homeland Security.  Your words, “someone screwed up royally and it wasn’t us” and then you say something about them not offering free drinks on a future sailing, but you only want your bus fare back.  Sounds like you want both.

I may be in the minority, but I do not believe Carnival owes you anything because you chose to book a outside transportation and you chose not to go.  This could have been avoided with the redress number.  If you know your son and nephew that share your husband’s name have legal issues, you should take steps to prevent things like this from happening.  Sorry, but I put more of this on you and not Carnival.  I don’t know why people feel the need to blame others for their actions (or non-actions).

• Like 3

@AstoriaPreppy @FTLCruiseGal I have a different opinion than both of you. 

First a redress number (KTN-Known Traveler Number) would not have helped this at all as there is nowhere in your cruise profile to store this number to be used.

2nd point is the DHS check is done one of 2 ways, either Carnival sends or inputs a list of pasengers to DHS (could be electronically) and a computers system checks for matches on the banned list. Then contacts Carnival.  Or

Carnival security has an "current" list of banned names that they then compare to the passenger list. And any matches get denied boarding.

Most likely the first match electronicly, is last name; first name that is then kicked out and needs to be checked further.  This further check could be manually, matching other associated info, middle initial; birth date; etc

Seems like the names matched (between husband and son) and someone failed to perform the secondary checks to verify.  I under stand this more than most as my name has a suffix and many times I have been confused with my father.  For us a saving grace is neither of us have a record!

Bottom line in my opinion, Carnival made a mistake, which they admitted, and more importantly they FAILED to address this issue promptly.  The first part is understandable, the 2nd is just bad customer service on the part of Carnival's security.  OP should be better compensated for this failure.

Just my opinion and if yours differs that OK.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

@AstoriaPreppy @FTLCruiseGal I have a different opinion than both of you. 

First a redress number (KTN-Known Traveler Number) would not have helped this at all as there is nowhere in your cruise profile to store this number to be used.

2nd point is the DHS check is done one of 2 ways, either Carnival sends or inputs a list of pasengers to DHS (could be electronically) and a computers system checks for matches on the banned list. Then contacts Carnival.  Or

Carnival security has an "current" list of banned names that they then compare to the passenger list. And any matches get denied boarding.

Most likely the first match electronicly, is last name; first name that is then kicked out and needs to be checked further.  This further check could be manually, matching other associated info, middle initial; birth date; etc

Seems like the names matched (between husband and son) and someone failed to perform the secondary checks to verify.  I under stand this more than most as my name has a suffix and many times I have been confused with my father.  For us a saving grace is neither of us have a record!

Bottom line in my opinion, Carnival made a mistake, which they admitted, and more importantly they FAILED to address this issue promptly.  The first part is understandable, the 2nd is just bad customer service on the part of Carnival's security.  OP should be better compensated for this failure.

Just my opinion and if yours differs that OK.

Guests can enter KTN's during online check-in.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, mz-s said:

Sorry stand corrected on that issue.

It has been a while, before covid, since I sailed Carnival.

And

Thank you for correcting/educating me.  I sail alot and my line does not have a spot for KTN.  I am hear because I am planning another Carnival cruise.  May I should just read more.

Have a good day

Edited by cruisegus

Copied and pasted from a different website:

What is a redress number?

Much like other travel identification numbers assigned by the government, a redress number is designed to expedite the border security process.

Redress numbers are issued by the Department of Homeland Security to individuals who have previously experienced difficulties during screening at transportation hubs such as airports. These difficulties may include watch list issues, screening problems at ports of entry and situations where a traveler believes they have been unfairly or incorrectly delayed, identified for additional screening or denied boarding.

If you do think you're eligible for a redress number, you can apply online through the Department of Homeland Security's website. After submitting your application, it will become subject to approval, which can take up to 50 business days.

Upon approval, you will receive your redress number, which you'll be able to use when traveling. This should help you avoid difficulties at security screenings going forward.

Note that if your security issues relate to a criminal record or an instance of excessive intoxication, you will likely not be eligible for a redress number.

What is a Known Traveler Number?

Separate from a redress number, a Known Traveler Number is issued to people who apply to and are approved for TSA PreCheck®, the program that allows approved travelers to access expedited security lines for domestic travel in the United States.

Additionally, while the terminology is slightly different, a similar identification number is issued to those who apply to and are approved for Global Entry, NEXUS and SENTRI, programs that allow for expedited access into the United States via air, land or sea. In this case, you'll be issued a PASSID number, which is entered in the same place as the Known Traveler Number when booking air travel.

Like a redress number, a Known Traveler Number is also issued by the Department of Homeland Security, and recipients must go through an application and screening process to be approved. This then grants entry to the TSA PreCheck line, which allows travelers to go through airport security without removing liquids, laptops, shoes, belts or light outerwear.

Redress number vs. KTN: Differences and benefits

The main differences between a redress number and a Known Traveler Number are the circumstances in which it's issued and used.

A redress number relieves part of the stress of traveling by making it less likely you will be targeted for additional screening, or delayed or denied boarding or entry. Ultimately, the goal of a redress number is to create a smoother traveling experience for those who have had difficulties with security in the past. It works to correct the potential misidentification of travelers as high risk, thus complicating their experience through security.

By contrast, a Known Traveler Number allows travelers to access specially approved security lines and screening processes designed to expedite their wait time. Additionally, unless you are an active member of the military, you pay for this perk. TSA PreCheck costs $78 as of April 2023 for a five-year membership. This fee is subject to change, so be sure to check the TSA PreCheck website for the most up-to-date cost. A redress number, on the other hand, is free.

In summary

If comparing a redress number vs. a Known Traveler Number, you'll find the “why" behind the two numbers the biggest difference. Redress numbers are intended to correct misidentifications that may lead to security issues for certain travelers, while a Known Traveler Number is a travel perk you can pay for. Ultimately, their goal is the same — to help make your travel a little bit smoother.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, mz-s said:

Yep. We do every cruise. I think it pops up as an option right after putting in one's Passport info.

• Like 4

Just to make things clearer, I understand why they removed him, but they never got back to me so I could show them they had the wrong person. I emailed them like I was supposed to, but they never replied to my email until 3 days after the cruise left.

They were wrong and I want my money for the bus. I sent an email to the CEO of Carnival, but even he is not getting back to me.

Carnival doesn't care about the passengers, only the money they spend. I will never spend a penny on Carnival again.

My husband's birthday was right on the forms, so they only had to look at my sons and know they had the wrong guy. Carnival did not do what they should have. 

15 hours ago, First Aider said:

Just to make things clearer, I understand why they removed him, but they never got back to me so I could show them they had the wrong person. I emailed them like I was supposed to, but they never replied to my email until 3 days after the cruise left.

They were wrong and I want my money for the bus. I sent an email to the CEO of Carnival, but even he is not getting back to me.

Carnival doesn't care about the passengers, only the money they spend. I will never spend a penny on Carnival again.

My husband's birthday was right on the forms, so they only had to look at my sons and know they had the wrong guy. Carnival did not do what they should have. 

I'm not going to speculate publicly on what this similar-name relatives did, but it's clearly bad enough to be a major red flag for the US government (not Carnival). Carnival didn't target your husband, the Department of Homeland Security did when it got the passenger manifest, your husband's name popped up, was immediately flagged, and then flagged again because of an incorrect DOB. You might as well have entered his name as "Jerry Nothingsuspicioustoseehere" on the manifest.

It behoves you to make sure this doesn't happen again, not a cruise line or airline. If the government flagged your husband once, there's a good chance it could happen again on another line/flight. You're very bent out of shape over shared bus fare (on a bus that everyone else in your party used to board the cruise). If I knew I shared the same name with someone on a federal watch list, $280 in bus fare would be the furthest thing from my mind... I would be tripping over myself to make sure getting flagged by the feds didn't happen the next time I wanted to take a vacation!

TBH, in the time you've spent griping on this forum, you could have instead applied for a redress number for your husband. It's likely that this might happen again on another line or flight in the future, it's completely free, and will guarantee your DOB mistakes or paperwork snafus won't ruin any vacations in the future.

https://www.dhs.gov/dhs-trip

• Like 7

Carnival did not get back to me until after the cruise left! They had removed him and we were asked to contact security. Which we did! You can’t call, only email. So we did right away but they never answered our email to ask us questions. Our son was in trouble many years ago. He is not allowed to cruise. But we have cruised maybe 16 times and 6 with Carnival. Never with a problem. I will get a redress but it’s their fault we didn’t go. Not ours.

After contacting us on the 13th they asked us to send my husbands gov’t ID. I did and they said I’m sorry we made a mistake!

They sure did!!!!!