So, let’s call it “⅓ of “the Big One” - we’re back on World-Cruise-Sojourn!

shark b8

Yesterday was a “Best of….” kinda day, in Manila.  The monument (and execution reenactment statuary) to the nationalist revolutionary Jose Rizal, who was instrumental in ending the 300+ year colonization by Spain.  The San Augustin church.  

IMG_1281.thumb.jpeg.c8b9e508cfc730bf480aa34732f57064.jpeg

IMG_9194.thumb.jpeg.ae056a5161492fefab2b8fa32dffc93e.jpeg

IMG_9195.thumb.jpeg.93252b876eab065e54c3cd350956dd9a.jpeg

IMG_9196.thumb.jpeg.141e76f1cebc2a073a6883202d866f24.jpeg

• Like 4

One early reaction to Manila is the sheer immensity - “metro Manila” consists of 16 distinct cities, total population of 13.5 million.  The port is immense as well, containers and container ships and cargo ships, as far as the eye can see.  Pretty much literally.

@shark b8 the other overwhelming thing of course is the traffic. I remember doing a Silversea excursion many years ago in Manilla and after visiting the old section we left to explore on our own as the large buses were struggling to get back to to pick us up. 

It gave us a chance to take the overhead monorail which was an interesting and fun experience. First time a lovely security man politely directed us to the section for "seniors" to line up 😆.It was fine as this meant we got on first so could get a seat.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

On our way up to visiting Tagaytay, we stopped at a wonderful street fruit market.  Bought a couple of mangos.  I muse on the idea that taste buds are like fingerprints - simply no duplication to be expected.  My personal taste buds issue this directive:  “a good mango is better than all the other fruit, put together”.  So there.

I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow morning. 

IMG_1313.thumb.jpeg.795637a99a213611c268274aebd40e90.jpeg

IMG_1332.thumb.jpeg.57c8f650e17907f0c0437505a8a9a5ee.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Robisan said:

So, Panda Express?

Funny you should say….I did quickly notice *so many* fast food outlets in Manila - most everything you could think of.  McDonald’s of course, and all the other usual suspects - KFC, Krispy Kreme, Burger King, and yes…Panda Express!

The main natural draw of Tagaytay, where we went yesterday, is “the world’s smallest volcano”.  It’s a small volcano in the middle of a lake, which is then in the middle of a bigger volcano.  It was hazy so the pic isn’t ideal, but that dark blob in center is the small volcano, and we’re standing on the ridge around the large one.

IMG_1317.thumb.jpeg.1abf4fe97cdffe48a887892469a90fd9.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, shark b8 said:

A printed note in our mail-clip thing tonight:  

“Um…. Was anyone really expecting KFC or Taco Bell?”

IMG_1331.thumb.jpeg.805efba2798f0e5511c71c519acb8582.jpeg

We were on tour in Bangkok once that included a lunch. We love Thai food and were expecting a wonderful experience. What did we get? All American style buffet food with one Thai soup available - which was very good, btw. Very disappointing.........

Just now, tjcox9 said:

We love Thai food and were expecting a wonderful experience. What did we get? All American style buffet food with one Thai soup available….

Yes, there seems to be two different impulses - to present local food/entertainment or to decide to present stuff that they think will appeal to more Westerners (and are probably, unfortunately, correct).  More experienced travelers will prefer the former (I hope), but I suppose there are competing factors.  Like I said earlier, more than a few musical backgrounds (to local meals) have been a combination of local ethnic stuff, and “Take Me Home, Country Road”…..ah well.

• Like 1

So.  It has been an….”interesting” day.  A sea day between Philippines & Taiwan - usually sea days are kinda lazy and uneventful, but….

We’ve had 5-meter swells all day, rockin’ & rollin’ pretty strongly.  I love it, but I went through this sort of thing in little dinky dive boats for a lot of years, so I might have a jaundiced view of it.  (Wait a minute, maybe the opposite of “jaundiced”.  Is there such a word?  Hey folks, it’s late).   Anyway, on top of the roller coaster sailing, there was some sort of serious broken piping, which has shut down the whole grand staircase area, between decks 4 & 7.  From midship Deck 6 suites, to get to the MDR/Salon, one has to take the forward elevators up to deck 8, and cross over on the pool level, to then take the forward elevators back down to the Salon or the MDR. Lots of officers, barefoot and with their pant legs rolled up, carrying & emptying large buckets of water from this major leak.

• Thanks 1

…and combined with the enormous swells & bouncing around, apparently some people are having the “Titanic” movie flash through their consciousness. 

We went to the Colonnade tonight (it was osso bucco night, so there it is) - and there were maybe 6-7 occupied tables.  I suspect the guys who deliver the in-suite-dining dinners had a busy night.

1 hour ago, shark b8 said:

Anyway, on top of the roller coaster sailing, there was some sort of serious broken piping, which has shut down the whole grand staircase area, between decks 4 & 7.  From midship Deck 6 suites, to get to the MDR/Salon, one has to take the forward elevators up to deck 8, and cross over on the pool level, to then take the forward elevators back down to the Salon or the MDR. Lots of officers, barefoot and with their pant legs rolled up, carrying & emptying large buckets of water from this major leak.

That's crazy. Haven't seen anything like it. 

48 minutes ago, skybluewaters said:

Under these conditions I doubt I'd be ordering the osso bucco. I'd probably go up to the restaurant entrance podium, grab a handful of candied ginger, and turn around without entering.

In 2015 off the coasts of Chile we had 7 meter beam seas on the Quest. I practically had a private dining experience in the MDR!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, shark b8 said:

We’ve had 5-meter swells all day, rockin’ & rollin’ pretty strongly.  I love it, but I went through this sort of thing in little dinky dive boats for a lot of years, so I might have a jaundiced view of it.

Thanks for sharing. Friends sent me the videos yesterday and we were gobsmacked at the waterfall in the stairwell. 

I also showed my husband the waves and he didn't think they were too bad but he used to ocean race for days at times on 40metre yachts. That definitely looks like the rule "one hand holding the boat at all times while walking around".

• Like 1