So, let’s call it “⅓ of “the Big One” - we’re back on World-Cruise-Sojourn!

shark b8

Thanks shark b8. Enjoying your stories and photos so much. I haven't been to Japan yet but have already bookmarked to look for matcha Kit Kat when we visit in October. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, shark b8 said:

[anybody else remember the stark ugly red/purple and black awfulness that was “Restaurant 2”?]

(*shudder*)

IMG_9349.jpeg.c541857192db848ca0b0ef818ae19147.jpeg

Oh my! That was before our Seabourn cruising "career" began, thank goodness!!😝

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, tjcox9 said:

Oh my! That was before our Seabourn cruising "career" began, thank goodness!!😝

In my opinion sharkb8's pic doesn't quite convey how hideous the decor actually was! However I did enjoy the food on offer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sharkb8, I'm enjoying your thread so much, thank you for taking the time to share your cruise with us. Very fond memories of the TK crab cake, my go to appetiser at the Grill. 

Also, thank you for the heads up regarding correct pronunciation of Solis. I've been saying something like SO-liss - completely incorrect! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, highplanesdrifters said:

…just got off SS Cloud. Thanks for taking us along. 

It’s certainly worthy of a separate thread, but….comparisons to Seabourn, in a nutshell?

“Chef’s dinner” tonight at The Restaurant.  I would have chosen Japanese at the Colonnade, but it was formal night and Mrs Shark loves to go to the Restaurant and see what all the ladies are wearing.  A small price to pay, I suppose.  Anyway, it was pretty good, actually.  

IMG_1695.thumb.jpeg.1953520deff58af3f24e1ba4515e2361.jpeg

• Like 4

Beef Tournedos Rossini.  Well.  No one loves seared medium-rare beef and foie gras more than I do, but…..I also love mangos and buttered popcorn and PBJ sandwiches and salmon sushi, but….not sure they all go together in one bite.  

I’ve always been a rebel.     🙄

8 hours ago, shark b8 said:

It’s certainly worthy of a separate thread, but….comparisons to Seabourn, in a nutshell?

I find Seabourn and Silversea very similar. The real comparison is in the ships and itinerary.  Not a fan of Silversea or Seabourns larger ships. We have been 80% expedition lately and are spoiled. 

Quick match up.

Seabourns new Venture and Pursuit win hands down against Silversea Cloud and Wind.  They are a bit long in the tooth. I have not been on Silverseas relatively new Endeavor but friends liked it.

Food and service on our last 3 Silversea expeditions have beat every other cruise we have been on hands down.

Itinerary always wins for me.

Link to my last trip report for more details.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, highplanesdrifters said:

Food and service on our last 3 Silversea expeditions have beat every other cruise we have been on hands down.

We were on Muse in Alaska in August and the food was usually good but had moments that were so bad it spoiled the entire trip. Perhaps we should give the expedition ships a try instead.

• Like 1

Seems like every 3rd or 4th car in Japan is of this sort of design - small, boxy, with tiny wheels/tires.   I’ve seen logos of Toyota, Honda, Nissan etc, so evidently it’s popular enough that all the carmakers offer their own version of it.

IMG_1671.thumb.jpeg.4e06fcd2d541589dd2294be765ec4525.jpeg

• Like 2

She is not that large.   The Elizabeth is 90,000 tons and carries 2000 passengers.    She is one of the smaller cruise ships, Vista class.    We docked next to the Quantum of the Seas, 250,000 tons and almost 7000 passengers.