So, let’s call it “⅓ of “the Big One” - we’re back on World-Cruise-Sojourn!

shark b8

On 3/5/2024 at 7:50 AM, shark b8 said:

Several cruises ago we were apprised of the fact that the chef/Restaurant has some stuff stashed away that doesn’t make its way onto menus.  Three nights ago we asked about sweetbreads, and the next night (no intervening provisioning, of course), we had a wonderful custom-dinner.   Probably helps if one is relatively high up on the sailed-days/Seabourn-points food chain, I’m guessing.

IMG_1130.thumb.jpeg.4601900b69a4ec2a3be8a002d78b2b3d.jpeg

Aloha. I love sweetbreads. I have asked for it many times in the Queens Grill on Canard and actually the first time sailing on Seabourn lol!

• Like 2

so, tonight was Keller fried chicken night in the Colonnade.  Seabourn veterans already know.  Pleasant enough, just….not inspirational.  Or legendary.  Or….different.  Seems to me that most everybody Iikes fried chicken.  And can also DO fried chicken.  Do something we can’t!

IMG_9097.thumb.jpeg.16dc8a420bb87853e6ff31ecd9d4d0f5.jpeg

IMG_9098.thumb.jpeg.dcb1186a95236d7c6f9e875582ef637e.jpeg

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.f7ff8320d2ff769457c4970c4df7db9a.jpeg

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

so, tonight was Keller fried chicken night in the Colonnade.  Seabourn veterans already know.  Pleasant enough, just….not inspirational.  Or legendary.  Or….different.  Seems to me that most everybody Iikes fried chicken.  And can also DO fried chicken.  Do something we can’t!

IMG_9097.thumb.jpeg.16dc8a420bb87853e6ff31ecd9d4d0f5.jpeg

IMG_9098.thumb.jpeg.dcb1186a95236d7c6f9e875582ef637e.jpeg

IMG_1209.thumb.jpeg.f7ff8320d2ff769457c4970c4df7db9a.jpeg

Oh I adore Keller fried chicken!  In the past I have asked them to save back a couple of pieces and then have chicken and waffles for breakfast the next morning!

• Like 1

Just now, SDuckers said:

I have asked them to save back a couple of pieces and then have chicken and waffles for breakfast the next morning!

Sounds good!  Also sounds similar to something we muse about - “hey, let’s ask them to vacuum-pack these last little morsels and we’ll FedEx them back to Butch & Sundance”!    (Sadly, said morsels always end up with the fishies)

IMG_3160.thumb.jpeg.f2dd031b4d1c29fddc021b4f93d0b9d0.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Hey frantic36 - At E&O, couldn’t decide between the BBQ rotisserie duck and the Nigerian shrimp that you mentioned several days ago.  So I asked for a small, appetizer-sized portion of each.   (ONE shrimp is a meal!).  mmmmmmmm.

IMG_2024-03-12-152044.thumb.jpeg.2a938c4a946909f70ebdc9404944339f.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, shark b8 said:

Hey frantic36 - At E&O, couldn’t decide between the BBQ rotisserie duck and the Nigerian shrimp that you mentioned several days ago.  So I asked for a small, appetizer-sized portion of each.   (ONE shrimp is a meal!).  mmmmmmmm.

IMG_2024-03-12-152044.thumb.jpeg.2a938c4a946909f70ebdc9404944339f.jpeg

😂 I should have warned you but they are very yummy 😋.

• Like 1

@shark b8 friends onboard posted photos from Sulawesi and it looked amazing. The monkeys, birds, the gorgeous beaches and the people. Though I did say the young boy with animal skulls hanging off him looked macabre and interesting in a weird way. I hope you had a good day as well.

• Like 1

So.  One of those “this is why we love travel” moments.  We spent the day docked at Bitung in Indonesia.  The drums and sound from the pier woke me up at 7:00a - and then at the end of the day, we sailed at 6:00p.  The music and dancing barely stopped all day.

In the meantime, that second level of the cruise terminal was populated by hundreds of people, all through the day.  Every time we waved from our veranda, people excitedly waved back.  Just an amazing crowd of people, all day.  Can’t remember anything quite like it.  Wondering if perhaps cruise ships are relatively rare here, although that’s purely speculation on my part.

This is as we pulled back and prepared to sail on.  (Yes, some “iPhone flashlight-waving”, which was happily returned). 

• Like 3

…and *then* -  I almost missed it, as we came back inside - this was the view, literally minutes later, of the sunset, as we sailed offIMG_1220.thumb.jpeg.3e02e166b2fe528496ca9ac16a01b06b.jpeg.  A great day.  

• Like 14

A little lazy lately, we’re on the second sea day in between Indonesia & the Philippines.  So, I’ll take this opportunity to offer a shameless plug.  (Yes, I know Cruise Critic frowns on anything remotely resembling self-promotion of one’s own goods and services, and feels the same about recommending one’s TA, but I don’t think the following constitutes either one of those things, so here goes).

Last year, when we were on the World Cruise, we did a shore excursion from Adelaide, that went up into the Barossa Valley, to several wineries.  I absolutely fell in love with Seppeltsfield and their 20 year old tawny port, utterly magnificent stuff.  So a month or so before we arrived in Sydney for this cruise, I contacted the Seppeltsfield folks, asking whether one could have some bottles sent to either the ship or the hotel we stayed at just before embarkation.  The Seppeltsfield staff could not have been nicer and friendlier and more helpful - they speedily put together a mixed half case, and sent it along to the hotel.  Couple of bottles each of the tawny port, their Shiraz, and a bottle of white fortified dessert wine, which I haven’t tried yet.  Anyway, obviously wine-appreciation is by definition highly subjective, but my feeling is, for anyone who loves a good port after dinner, this is just superlative.  So, highly recommend them in the Barossa Valley, and they can ship (free) to anywhere in Australia, if that works out for anyone’s itinerary, as it did ours.

IMG_9150.thumb.jpeg.7c54091f307c4da2c3962edd058b550f.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted (edited)

Additional data point re Seppeltsfield:  they offer an unbroken line of yearly vintages of tawny port, which they call their “Centennial Collection”. As each new year unfolds, they offer for sale a small bottle of the port from exactly 100 years before.  When we were there, they offered just a glass (for an eye-opening price) of the 1923.  I tried it, and I don't even quite know how to describe it.  Viscous, like cough syrup, and a depth of flavor and richness that’s hard to put into words.  One of the most amazing tastes I’ve ever had.

(they made a point of saying “dont be too shy to wipe your finger in the empty glass and stick in your mouth to get every last bit, it’s perfectly ok!)

IMG_9155.jpeg.9c55748d91a561588dd16c62a9711d83.jpeg

Edited by shark b8
  • Like 6

But the news (for me) was……well now, if this has been going on for a while, I’m sure it’s been thoroughly discussed elsewhere on this site and I missed it.  In The Restaurant, they’ve removed quite a few tables, to set up a band and a dance floor.  So, we had music and dancing going on throughout most of the dinner.  This is not my cup of tea, I didn't care for it (just a little too lounge-lizard-piano-bar for me, especially on formal night), but The First Mate had other ideas.  Over 40+ years, this was, maybe, our 3rd disagreement.  😱.  (Photo snapped on our way out)

IMG_2024-03-15-223315.thumb.jpeg.4ccaa04ad80e7aa870a0aa0166047e5e.jpeg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shark b8 said:

But the news (for me) was……well now, if this has been going on for a while, I’m sure it’s been thoroughly discussed elsewhere on this site and I missed it.  In The Restaurant, they’ve removed quite a few tables, to set up a band and a dance floor.  So, we had music and dancing going on throughout most of the dinner.

Have not heard of this before; was it in the program with some marketing-hype about it?  Interesting idea, maybe being test-driven on your voyage?

6 hours ago, shark b8 said:

But the news (for me) was……well now, if this has been going on for a while, I’m sure it’s been thoroughly discussed elsewhere on this site and I missed it.  In The Restaurant, they’ve removed quite a few tables, to set up a band and a dance floor.  So, we had music and dancing going on throughout most of the dinner.  This is not my cup of tea, I didn't care for it (just a little too lounge-lizard-piano-bar for me, especially on formal night), but The First Mate had other ideas.  Over 40+ years, this was, maybe, our 3rd disagreement.  😱.  (Photo snapped on our way out)

IMG_2024-03-15-223315.thumb.jpeg.4ccaa04ad80e7aa870a0aa0166047e5e.jpeg

We were on a cruise when this occurred. It was years ago, I usually have a good memory for these things but on this occasion I cannot recall which ship or itinerary it actually was. (It may have been on Sojourn on a WC segment between Hong Kong and Singapore).

I posted about it here at the time but the search function doesn't take me back far enough to find the post, There was more than a hint of mutiny amongst the guests. I certainly was not a fan. They only tried it two consecutive nights of the cruise, then never saw it again, Until now 😔

• Like 1

This was also done on one of our cruises within the past year.

I wasn't sold on the idea of it, but it worked out ok (at best). 

My preference would be for them not to make this a regular occurrence, although I applaud them for trying something new.

• Like 3

We’re in Puerto Princesa, Philippines today.  Unfortunately I managed to wrench my back yesterday and wasn’t up to going on today’s previously scheduled shore excursion - the Subterranean River National Park.  So, here are a few internet pix from the tour that….I didn’t do today.   😎  

IMG_9171.thumb.jpeg.e8c43083d63c3611963f0f0f0fd84edf.jpeg

IMG_9172.jpeg.e63a3fc556c1559ae73a9babab3c7727.jpeg

IMG_9173.thumb.jpeg.f8b5cf103ac8da040a9a80ed966c10ff.jpeg

IMG_9174.thumb.jpeg.3052a95b1db82f389a3212c01524c60f.jpeg

• Like 3

On approach to Boracay.  Have seen six parasails and countless jet skis - certainly appears to be an ocean-fun spot for Filipinos and tourists, much the same as Moreton Island is for Aussies.

IMG_1259.thumb.jpeg.cc51565b7d7be5aeb19971a36cb06bbc.jpeg

• Like 2