Overnight stay in Copenhagen

Hello to all!

We have an overnight port in Copenhagen at the end of August. We are in our early 60's, don't mind some walking, but after too much we have some mobility issues.

I am thinking one day we will do Nyhavn and possibly a canal tour. The other day I am thinking Tivoli Gardens.

Is a guide needed for Nyhavn?

How far from the cruise port (I don't know which dock we will be at...We are on Celebrity, so a larger ship)

All suggestions appreciated!

There are two separate cruise docks in Copenhagen: Oceankaj and Langelinie. Which one you are docked at makes all the difference. Langelinie Is used for smaller ships, usually for port visit. Larger ships and debarkation/embarkation cruises use Oceankaj. Each port has its issues with ground transportation. To get to public transit requires taking a city bus to a subway station. A taxi would be easier for those with mobility issues.

Nyhavn is a relatively small canal with restaurants and bars along its docks. You can catch a canal tour there. It is near Amelienborg and Chrisrianborg, both of which have museums and  historic sites. A good city tour book will help there.

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, dfilpus said:

Langelinie Is used for smaller ships

Not correct - also bigger ships!
please post date - might be Langelinie - Celebrity Apex does dock at Langelinie June 17 to 18, 2024.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, hallasm said:

Not correct - also bigger ships!
please post date - might be Langelinie - Celebrity Apex does dock at Langelinie June 17 to 18, 2024.

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette...Docking Aug. 25-26th

Celebrity Silhouette will call at Oceankaj. It’s quite far from city. 
Two options - either public bus/metro or taxi to ‘Kongens Nytorv’ metro station for Nyhavn or ‘Rådhuspladsen’ for Tivoli. 30 minutes by taxi and 45 minutes by bus/metro.

• Thanks 1

I really enjoyed Copenhagen.  We came in 2 nights early before embarking there for our Baltic cruise.  I quite liked our hotel, the Scandic Palace.  It was next to city hall, right around the corner from the beginning of the Stroget (the main pedestrian street), and across from Tivoli.  The main train station, which has a line directly to the airport, was on the opposite side of Tivoli from us, and an easy walk.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/20/2024 at 9:18 PM, luv2ndhalf said:

We will be sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette...Docking Aug. 25-26th

Am sailing Apex to Copenhagen on May 29.  Does it dock at Langelinie also? I've been searching the web for pier info to no avail.

31 minutes ago, MitchellS said:

Am sailing Apex to Copenhagen on May 29.  Does it dock at Langelinie also? I've been searching the web for pier info to no avail.

Apex docks at Oceankaj, terminal 3.

On 2/21/2024 at 2:15 AM, hallasm said:

Celebrity Silhouette will call at Oceankaj. It’s quite far from city. 
Two options - either public bus/metro or taxi to ‘Kongens Nytorv’ metro station for Nyhavn or ‘Rådhuspladsen’ for Tivoli. 30 minutes by taxi and 45 minutes by bus/metro.

We’ll be on Silhouette end of May for an overnight in Copenhagen. How difficult will it be for four able bodied adults to reach Nyhavn? We arrive at 11am and are interested in doing the canal tour…is this like a HOHO boat? Are we ok with public transit or should we taxi/uber? TIA

Cathy

18 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We’ll be on Silhouette end of May for an overnight in Copenhagen. How difficult will it be for four able bodied adults to reach Nyhavn?

I can't see Silluethe in May but June 3. Calling at Oceankaj terminal 1.

You can take a taxi from the cruise terminal to Nyhavn - there is no Uber in Copenhagen.

An alternative is public transport - bus 25 (cruise days only) or 164 from the bus stop at terminal 1 to 'Orientkaj' Metro and from there M4 to 'Kongens Nytorv' Metro close to Nyhavn. You can buy a bus/metro ticket at the kiosk at Terminal 1 (credit card and possibly long queue) or on the bus (cash only) - the best option is to use the DOT ticket App (same ticket for bus/metro.

20 minutes ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

We arrive at 11am and are interested in doing the canal tour…is this like a HOHO boat?

This is a fixed tour -no a HoHo.

An alternative is the Harbor Bus (boat) route 981 /992 - same ticket as your bus/metro ticket - you can take the harbor bus from Orientkaj to Nyhavn.

Great info, thank you. Sorry for the confusion, we depart Amsterdam May 24 but don’t get to Copenhagen until Jun 3/4. I’m assuming the taxi option to Nyhavn would be faster than bus/metro combo but more expensive? Especially for four adults? Do your taxis charge by the trip or per person? 

7 hours ago, Barwick Cruiser said:

I’m assuming the taxi option to Nyhavn would be faster than bus/metro combo but more expensive? Especially for four adults? Do your taxis charge by the trip or per person?

It is fastest by taxi - 20 minutes - bus/train is 30 minutes. Price for taxi is approx. DKK 300, while public transport is DKK 100 for four people one way. 

For ordering and paying for a taxi, App is recommended.

Price for taxi is by trip. Note that tips are included in taxi prices in Denmark.

• Thanks 1