Trade Routes of the Middle Ages Excursions

FortressHarris

Hello all-

Inspired by multiple other threads on the forum, but for the life of me I can't find what I'm looking for via the search tool. I'm looking for recommended excursions for the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages cruise.

For background it'll be our first cruise and we're a late 30s couple. Very much looking forward to the serenity and culture focused cruise that Viking appears to offer.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and to Viking Oceans!

I agree! The search function is lacking,especially for what you are trying to do. Since there are only a couple of sailings a year of this year itinerary, even with a 'search', it is hard to find information about "Trade Routes."  Here are some tips that will help you find more information and to get more answers here.

•  Give us a list of ports on the itinerary. Very few people are going to take the time to go to the Viking website to look for the information in order to answer your question. But if you list the ports you are interested in, folks will give you answers.

•  Many different itineraries may visit a given port but the tour offerings will be the same. Therefore, when looking for information about excursions, your audience is not limited to folks who have taken "Trade Routes," it is everyone who has been to Barcelona and everybody who has been to Malaga and everybody who has been to Cartagena, etc., etc.

•  While you are waiting for answers, try 'searching' for information by port. The kind of information you are looking for is buried in the posts, not in the titles of threads; therefore, set the search function to respond with more than just thread titles. Answers can be buried in the strangest places. Let the search function, as weak as it may be, do some of the work for you.

•  Depending how exhaustively you are willing to search, don't for get the roll call forums. You never know what you will find in the roll calls.

• Finally, a lot has changed since the pandemic and information/details for ports prior to the pandemic hiatus and early re-start (2021-early 2022) may no longer be accurate.

5 hours ago, FortressHarris said:

Hello all-

Inspired by multiple other threads on the forum, but for the life of me I can't find what I'm looking for via the search tool. I'm looking for recommended excursions for the Trade Routes of the Middle Ages cruise.

For background it'll be our first cruise and we're a late 30s couple. Very much looking forward to the serenity and culture focused cruise that Viking appears to offer.

Thanks in advance.

We took an almost identical itinerary in 2019, the only difference was Copenhagen instead of Bergen (we transited the Kiel Canal. That was very special!) 

Our #1 priority was visiting The Alhambra. Tickets for this optional excursion are very limited because tour groups are limited to one bus per day and because of security, your name is required to be on the ticket and it must match your passport which can be checked at random. Because of this, even if there are cancellations on board, those seats cannot be resold. It sold out within 20 minutes of opening. If interested, book that first as soon as MVJ opens and checkout and pay immediately for only that excursion, then book your other choices, doing optional ones first and included last. Optionals tend to sell out first and included excursions can have additional times added if they become full.

Our next favorite stop was Portsmouth. If you take the early included tour, you can ask to be dropped right at the entrance to the port attractions. Be sure to visit the Mary Rose museum. It’s one of the most fascinating museums we have ever visited. It was built to house the sunken remains of Henry VIII’s flagship which was sunk in battle before his eyes by the French in Portsmouth. You’ll also have time to visit Nelson’s flagship Victory, and see where he died. That too is a fascinating visit.

Third on our list was Cartagena, Spain. The Cartagena Foundations Walking Tour was one of our favorite experiences of any Viking tour, not only because of all the ancient sites you visit, but because of the tour guide. As a young student he was on the team that first discovered a lost Roman Imperial theatre and is today the director of the archeological site and museum. The tour also takes you to see a still underground Roman houses and street. You also visit the best preserved Carthaginian ruins in the world. This was the site of the 2nd largest city in Carthage. 

Unless you have never been to Paris, don’t bother. It’s all day on the bus with only a few hours in Paris. Your time is much better spent taking the tour of Honfleur. It’s a charming Medieval town and port with the oldest wooden church still standing in France. After the walking tour you have lots of time to visit hundred of old shops, restaurants, and the regional art gallery featuring paintings of Normandy. We’ve been there twice and would go a third time.

Bruges is one of our favorite cities. Take the included tour then spend your free time exploring it. 

We took the included tour of Porto and were disappointed in it. Not enough time to do anything. If doing it again, we would opt for the optional tram tour or do Porto on our own.

Falmouth was probably our least favorite port. Took a disappointing included tour. We had one of the worst tour guides I have ever had: “Along the left there are trails and a beautiful coastline but you can’t see it from here” was an actual quote. Do anything except the included tour.

In Amsterdam we did the walking tour that included a visit to the Van Gough museum. This is one of my favorite art museums in the world. IMO a must see. The walking tour was also great. Probably the best way to experience the city.

In Barcelona the optional Gaudí’s Houses of Modernism tour was amazing. We arrived at the Casa Vincens before opening, had coffee and snacks on the terrace and were the first ones inside, allowing for some amazing unobstructed pictures. After that you visit his other masterpiece Casa Batlló. Both are must sees. If spending additional time in Barcelona, we highly recommend Barcelona Day Tours. They are family run and the tour guides are amazing. They have a great tour of the city with a stop a Park Güell and the exterior of La Sagrada. They can also arrange for timed tickets to view the interior. All of the tickets to view the insde are sold only through the church but they will act as your agent and arrange it. Tickets sell out fast so you really need to plan way ahead. You can find a review of last year’s stop in Barcelona here: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2927474-almost-live-viking-sky-mediterranean-odyssey-april-2023/?do=findComment&comment=65262761

Some highlights:

IMG_6870.thumb.jpeg.f8687fad1469f99d5967a9113551741b.jpeg

IMG_6789.thumb.jpeg.55eece54212f197d6c326bd9b173c7ca.jpeg

IMG_6725.thumb.jpeg.321e71959a30811f3a8e3445f6c3e3d5.jpeg

IMG_6727.thumb.jpeg.b680081c135c9747950494c8995a7d54.jpeg

IMG_6567.thumb.jpeg.a4edb1d066b1f43d4373e4c1db0fc995.jpeg

IMG_6518.thumb.jpeg.8cf21f3826b7ded058df4d9b5d74a9ca.jpeg

IMG_6506.thumb.jpeg.8bc18ddc75b030b73a9acd490aa2b0e1.jpeg

IMG_6502.thumb.jpeg.b3df9da4e9b25ef3093c515aa728ca77.jpeg

IMG_6385.thumb.jpeg.19377f67936a45a7bb2dd15b60ac0281.jpeg

IMG_2532.thumb.jpeg.56a5414d6ce6d0a3b868712c135fd9e8.jpeg

IMG_2526.thumb.jpeg.f7792f0774c1a88748689c69f7a98908.jpeg

IMG_2350.thumb.jpeg.055c58dcd149fdf9792bc3abe9fdb184.jpeg

IMG_2005.thumb.jpeg.4e6b7aa37b85422f436841b4081223f6.jpeg

IMG_1927.thumb.jpeg.aa565ee07191c8fa4f5235801e5022e6.jpeg

IMG_1896.thumb.jpeg.1f757266223f40459a83e77a000afb59.jpeg

IMG_1885.thumb.jpeg.8ef87f013464dfb19d96950361317fdb.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, FortressHarris said:

Thank you both! For whatever reason it didn't occur to me to check by individual port, will go ahead and do so. And thank you very much to @OneSixtyToOne for such a detailed recap. Love the pictures and hope to recreate some of those!

Let us know what you find. In the meantime, don't forget to post the list of ports for your itinerary.

Unfortunately my search in ports of call didn't show much, but I've narrowed down my question as it's really just one port I'm concerned about fitting everything in.

We're planning on just using Viking offered excursions as a way of being able to relax a bit more. It is a vacation after all!

So my question is, in Portsmouth, is it possible to do both a Stonehenge offered excursion and the historic dockyard(Mary Rose/ Victory) in one port visit? The excursions for the cruise haven't posted, but on the sample of excursions they were listed. Understand those can change. Thanks again!

6 hours ago, FortressHarris said:

So my question is, in Portsmouth, is it possible to do both a Stonehenge offered excursion and the historic dockyard(Mary Rose/ Victory) in one port visit? The excursions for the cruise haven't posted, but on the sample of excursions they were listed. Understand those can change. Thanks again!

It may be possible but you’ll be pressed for time. Stonehenge is over an hour away so travel time alone to and from will be close to 2.5 hours. It really depends on when the tour returns and when the ship departs.

We have Trade Routes booked for April, and our excursions are there (they lock MVJ tomorrow, so good timing, I can still see stuff).

The shortest Stonehenge tour is 5 hours and leaves at 8:30am.  (There’s also a longer full day option, which is the one we are on.)

The Mary Rose excursion is 4.5 hours and leaves at noon.

You could maybe do Mary Rose on your own after getting back from Stonehenge, it sounds from the description that it’s not too far from the port, but as I haven’t been I don’t know for sure.

5 hours ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

It may be possible but you’ll be pressed for time. Stonehenge is over an hour away so travel time alone to and from will be close to 2.5 hours. It really depends on when the tour returns and when the ship departs.

We took the Trade Routes voyage a few years ago, and agree completely with OneSixtyToOne's descriptions.

The Portsmouth / Stonehenge excursion was combined with a short visit to Salisbury Cathedral, which I found very enjoyable. A page of the Magna Carta, many panels of descriptions concerning the restoration, a lovely dean's walk, etc.

The bus returned to the ship about 40 minutes before ship's departure.

Cartagena was lovely. The included tour covered the ampitheater, and a walk through the ruins. There was a touching monument to the Spanish sailors who lost their lives in  what Americans call the Battle of Manila Bay in 1898.  Definitely a city to re-visit

2 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

The Portsmouth / Stonehenge excursion was combined with a short visit to Salisbury Cathedral, which I found very enjoyable. A page of the Magna Carta, many panels of descriptions concerning the restoration, a lovely dean's walk, etc.

When in London a few years ago, we took the London Walks day tour to Salisbury Cathedral and Stonehenge. The guide was fantastic as was the experience. The tour included taking the train to Salisbury for a walking tour of the town and cathedral, including a visit to see the Magna Carta. This was followed by a bus ride to Stonehenge that also passed Sting’s home. Very informative tour guide that presented so much historical information that I never knew. If you find yourself in the London area, I highly recommend this tour or any given by London Walks (We have taken several).

https://www.walks.com/our-walks/salisbury-stonehenge-tour-from-london/

IMG_6042.thumb.jpeg.be8d4640f174e5a8cc396ee249fb780a.jpeg

IMG_6023.thumb.jpeg.28cf4db84d6e301fb369624955fe9400.jpeg

IMG_6022.thumb.jpeg.aa843d94a5c9916b18f0d473f7bee1d3.jpeg

IMG_6016.thumb.jpeg.2157fbe6039ca2aafa1b57470cf795e1.jpeg

IMG_6060.thumb.jpeg.b4d0fed9e14c86288927637d3e550ae9.jpeg

IMG_6050.thumb.jpeg.5973e06e81c2c64d8c8f4d9f6517c2cc.jpeg

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

3 of my favorite excursions were on this cruise.  We did Stonehenge and the Magna Carta (it poured this day), Giverny and Monet’s home.  We had a fabulous day, even in October and I’d do this ne again….if only to see it in the spring.  Finalky, Monserrat in Barcelona.  The trip up to the monestary is spectacular, and well worth it.  

My only disappointment is Alhambra.  The last time we finally managed to get tickets, the excursion got canceled as the ship was only provisioning and leaving ports due to storms coming in.  We will try again.

• Like 1