Anything in particular not to miss on Uniworld’s 10-day Italy itinerary?

bubbulz

I’m booked early this spring on Uniworld’s “ Milan, Venice, and Jewels of Veneto” itinerary, including the Lugano and Lake Como pre-cruise extension. I’ve been to Italy quite a few times but not to this area, with the exception of two days in Venice in the fall of 2022. Anything in particular on this itinerary not to miss? This is just part of my longer trip itinerary, and I’m expecting it to be very different from my 5 prior Uniworld cruises.

I took this trip in 2022 and it was great. The Last Supper is a must see in Milan. Your time in Milan is short but it is an interesting city to wander around and the food is great! (The hotel is meh but very well located). 

I loved Burano and Torcello. The lace in Burano is lovely (I bought napkins) and it is just such a beautiful area to walk around and explore. I wished we had more time in Murano (if you have seen glassblowing before, skip the demo and wander on your own). The morning at the Doge’s Palace is a perfect day to stay in town for lunch and exploring since there is nothing else on the agenda (assuming the trip is structured the same way) until the evening tour of St. Mark’s (which is quite spectacular). 

I really enjoyed Bologna but wished we had more time there. I didn’t love Chioggia but it is very easy to get around and explore. 

it is a very different cruise from any other I have taken (and I have only cruised with Uniworld). All cruising is done during the day so the sightseeing can feel a bit rushed because you have to move during the day. But the cruising is lovely and leisurely and you get to sit up on the deck with a spritz so it’s just a different relaxing experience. Try the pizza restaurant onboard one night! And enjoy- you will have a great time! 

• Like 1

Hi. We took this tour last summer. It looks like you have Lake Como covered I was going to suggest that. Also we booked directly thru the Milan Duomo the tour amongst the spires on the roof. We loved that. If you have free time in Milan I recommend that. 

When you are in Venice you will be given the choice of tours on the last day. I highly recommend the tour that goes to the market by the Rialto bridge. You travel there in private water taxi which is worthwhile as it is. Also don’t leave without a gondola ride. 

This is a matter of personal taste but there were one or two stops where you get to choose a beautiful church or a winery. We always chose the winery and were always glad. 

All the included tours were wonderful. 

Edited by Got2Cruise
  • Like 1

Hello:  We are also on this exciting adventure, first timers on Uniworld for us.   A question please in regards to Last Supper.  Since the tour potentially could be either day, how does someone book the Last Supper in advance?  It sounds like it isn't included in the tour, or am I miss reading this?  2nd question we are not taking the add-on tour to Lake Como, but hope to take the Master Piece collection that is being offered to go, has anyone done that?   Thank you.  

The Last Supper tour is booked for you- the local guides will inform you which day you will go there when you check in at the hotel (we went to the Duomo on Friday and the Last Supper Saturday). Many went for the day to Lake Como and really enjoyed it! There is a talk in the afternoon when you check into the hotel with the local guides and they give you all the options and tell you where you have to be and when. 

I did forget to mention CaZen- it is a lovely villa and the owners are equally lovely. 

and the water taxi to the Rialto is a great springboard for exploring and shopping on your last day! 

• Like 1

Don’t worry about the Last Supper, your guides will have it booked and let you know when you get there. As was explained to us, it’s very difficult to get the booking for the Last Supper and they can’t always get it for the first day. We had it in the second day and it all worked out. 

We took the Masterpiece extra tour to Lake Como and loved it. Definitely take it if it is offered. 

• Like 1

Thanks so much for the info.  So much to do, so little time!  But that's okay, we will pace ourselves and enjoy the complete adventure.  I have started my vacation spread sheet with the tips and suggestions that everyone has shared so far,  and already filled up a couple of pages.  LOL    Thank you again

• Like 1

3 hours ago, youngnet2 said:

Thanks so much for the info.  So much to do, so little time!  But that's okay, we will pace ourselves and enjoy the complete adventure.  I have started my vacation spread sheet with the tips and suggestions that everyone has shared so far,  and already filled up a couple of pages.  LOL    Thank you again

I have a bunch of photos from my trip posted here if you want to search. 

• Like 2

Bubbulz - have a great trip! Lots to do in Milan, and Lake Como is just gorgeous. We haven't been to Lugano yet but it's on our list! We visited this area in June 2022 on our own for a week. I have pictures in my SmugMug albums.

The cathedral climb in Milan is fun, and you can see the architectural details up close and personal. So if you have time to fit that in, go for it. We booked the Last Supper viewing on our own, but of course it's easier if someone else takes care of it for you.

There is so much else to do in Milan that it's hard to list everything. We spent three days and never ran out of things to do. Museums, wandering the streets, wine shops, nice meals... 

The town of Como itself is OK, but the real beauty is when you get out on the lake, and go to the small towns elsewhere around the area. Even taking the funicular up to Brunate is a beautiful change of scenery, and there are some great restaurants where you can have dinner in a beautiful setting. One day we drove to Varenna and hiked up to the Castello overlooking the lake. The other day we took the ferry to Bellagio and got lost in a wine cellar, tasting for hours, and missed the fast ferry home. It was worth it though; the slow ferry was more relaxing.

If you have room in your suitcases, can we come along? 😄

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

We visited this area in June 2022 on our own for a week. I have pictures in my SmugMug albums.

And thank you for this wonderful reminder about your albums. I have enjoyed many of them!

• Thanks 1

Good Monday morning:  Off topic, but a need to know.  In my head I am beginning to think about my suitcase packing for this exciting trip.  I have read that there is no formal night, and dinner is smart casual.  So, do men still bring a sport coat, and tie?  Do women bring any evening clothes?  Smart casual is a term that can lean either way.  My Dad used to say " you can never be over-dressed, just under dressed" but at the time he wasn't trying to pack a 50lb suitcase!  Thanks again for your guidance.  

This will be my sixth Uniworld river cruise and I have never taken anything formal. My husband usually took a jacket that he wore once or twice but it’s not really necessary and I have rarely seen anyone with a tie. Attire in general tends to be very casual, and only slightly less so for dinner. 

2 hours ago, youngnet2 said:

Good Monday morning:  Off topic, but a need to know.  In my head I am beginning to think about my suitcase packing for this exciting trip.  I have read that there is no formal night, and dinner is smart casual.  So, do men still bring a sport coat, and tie?  Do women bring any evening clothes?  Smart casual is a term that can lean either way.  My Dad used to say " you can never be over-dressed, just under dressed" but at the time he wasn't trying to pack a 50lb suitcase!  Thanks again for your guidance.  

I tend to dress like I am going to a nice dinner. In cooler months that means black or navy pants with a nice top or sweater, and in warmer months maybe a dress (not a cocktail dress!). 

I think this was the most casual of the cruises I have been on. There were for sure some people who dressed up and also people who really didn’t. I looked at pictures from dinner and didn’t see any ties or jackets but the unusually warm weather also could have been a deterrent. 

It was significantly colder in Milan than in Venice. And Venice was cool in the mornings but then got warm and humid (I’d wear a jacket but take it off in an hour). I tracked the weather on Accuweather and kept a spreadsheet so I knew what to expect but it was still so much warmer than I thought it would be in Venice. 

10 minutes ago, TN_travels said:

It was significantly colder in Milan than in Venice. And Venice was cool in the mornings but then got warm and humid (I’d wear a jacket but take it off in an hour). I tracked the weather on Accuweather and kept a spreadsheet so I knew what to expect but it was still so much warmer than I thought it would be in Venice. 

It is really tough to tell at this time of year. I thought I had planned well but when I arrived in late March 2 years ago, I was peeling layers off as quickly as I could when I got off the plane. It stayed warm for a few days after I arrived, but then turned significantly cooler for the remainder of my three weeks in northern Italy. 

I am also doing this cruise this Spring. I wanted to take our friends to the Milan Duomo rooftop. You can buy tickets that take you up by elevator, but you have to do the stairs down 251 steps with no handrails. So we will be skipping that. We did it many years ago when we were younger, and it was wonderful, but now it isn’t worth the risk of a fall. I tried working out the times for sightseeing on our own, but UniWorld says we can only find out the schedule after we arrive at the hotel. I did ask and the city sightseeing only goes to the outside of the castle, so we will try to go inside on our own. As to wardrobe, I’ll be wearing black pants and a blouse to dinner, tops a little dressier for the welcome and goodbye dinners.

• Like 1

Any recommendations for a nice dinner in Milan? Not looking for anything particularly fancy but just good food and pleasant atmosphere near the Piazza Fontana.