Don't believe everything you hear!

shipgeeks

I love having the instant access to information that was never the case in my youth.  However....

As a veteran cruiser, I cringe at some of the things I read and see on "some other sites", with no way of knowing who is credible.

Example: "I just booked a cruise for my family, and the TA told me food is included.  Now I'm learning that we have to pay for everything we eat and drink."

Example:  "The app says there are only two shows during my 9-night cruise."

Example:  "I hear we have to dress for all the theme nights, but I don't know if we have 50s/white/tropical/80s/country-western/other.  How am I supposed to buy all my outfits?"

Example:  "What's the best way to avoid seasickness?"  Answers: "Highest deck -- Lowest deck -- all the way forward -- all the way back -- balcony only -- You can't avoid it, everyone gets seasick."

There has been a saying since the 1800s to the effect that you shouldn't believe everything you read. Originally referring to newspapers, it equally applies to just about any form of communication, whether print, online, or video. Cruise info is no diffrent, nor has it ever been.

TLDR: this is nothing new.

Edited by mom says

For the forums that I frequent on CC, and as a veteran cruiser, I feel that most of the information shared here is credible.

There are opinions that differ and even though we "know" that mid-ship is best to avoid seasickness, others express opinions that never experience seasickness.

I sometimes cringe at advice shared on CC and I have been guilty myself of saying things that have been corrected or adjusted by others, but in general this forum I feel is credible because there are so many here that will steer a conversation in the correct direction if it needs to have the direction corrected - so to speak.

There are other forums however that I abandoned because the information shared is outrageous and then fighting is a common thing.

@shipgeeks - adverts in our newspapers are often somewhat breathless. They assure the interested reader that all meals are included, and all cabins have an en-suite bathroom, as if perhaps other cruise lines have a pay-as-you-eat policy, and shared bathrooms at the end of the corridor. So I can see why first-timers get confused sometimes! And many cruise lines advertise themselves as all-inclusive, when they don’t really mean it.