Culinary Class payment question

Carnevale

We would like to book a culinary class using OBC from our TA. When I went to do the booking I didn't see this OBC credit anywhere so I'm hoping someone here can help me understand the ins and outs:

- Am I correct in assuming that this OBC will only be available once we are onboard?

- If I book and pay for the class now can I cancel it when we are onboard and rebook it using our OBC?

- If I can cancel and rebook will doing this put us to the end of a waitlist meaning that we don't get to do the class? (I see that they are popular as one is already sold out and the cruise isn't until mid-April).

Many thanks in advance for any help on this!

Did your OBC come from O or from your TA? I think that may make a difference as our OBC is from our TA and doesn't show anywhere (when I tried to book the class the only option was to use a credit card to pay for it). Or, is there a place that TA OBC shows that I haven't found yet?

Just now, Carnevale said:

Did your OBC come from O or from your TA? I think that may make a difference as our OBC is from our TA and doesn't show anywhere (when I tried to book the class the only option was to use a credit card to pay for it). Or, is there a place that TA OBC shows that I haven't found yet?

Normally TA provided OBC only become available once you are onboard.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

We would like to book a culinary class using OBC from our TA. When I went to do the booking I didn't see this OBC credit anywhere so I'm hoping someone here can help me understand the ins and outs:

- Am I correct in assuming that this OBC will only be available once we are onboard?

- If I book and pay for the class now can I cancel it when we are onboard and rebook it using our OBC?

- If I can cancel and rebook will doing this put us to the end of a waitlist meaning that we don't get to do the class? (I see that they are popular as one is already sold out and the cruise isn't until mid-April).

If the class is important to you, I suggest you book it and pay for it with a Credit card.  When TA OBC is posted once onboard, you could ask GS to refund your cash payment, and apply OBC.  

@FetaCheese do you know if doing this will put us at the back of the wait list or if GS will just change the payment for us?

Do you know what the time frame is for doing a cancellation? (i.e., how many days in advance it has to be done)?

If they do the refund do we then have to use that amount onboard or will it be refunded to the credit card?

Thanks so much eveyone!

5 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

@FetaCheese do you know if doing this will put us at the back of the wait list or if GS will just change the payment for us?

Do you know what the time frame is for doing a cancellation? (i.e., how many days in advance it has to be done)?

If they do the refund do we then have to use that amount onboard or will it be refunded to the credit card?

Thanks so much eveyone!

Sorry, don't know answers.  Hopefully @Flatbush Flyer will see your topic and give advice.

• Thanks 1

If I understand the way O does onboard accounting, I think you'll be OK paying now (and yes, one of the multi-decade regulars will have better advice 😉 ). I have not taken culinary classes, but when I have paid for other items (e.g., shorex) in advance there is a "credit" applied to my onboard account for any credit card payments, along with any TA/other OBC. Expenses are then added for shorex (even though pre-paid), drinks, standard-gratuities (usually don't show until a few days in), etc. We have always had a balance due at the end that we have charged to our registered credit card. I am guessing that if we had a credit (hahaha) that it would go back on the credit card that showed as a credit on day 1 (or the registered one).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a related question to this. On our upcoming June 1  cruise there is a culinary class listed but it's in a port day that I don't want to miss. Are other classes ever  added later . We do have just one sea day on this cruise and obviously that would be my(and most peoples I imagine) preference. 

10 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Any  credit card payments made prior to your ship board credit hitting your account will be converted to REFUNDABLE shipboard credit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/29/2024 at 8:54 AM, FetaCheese said:

If the class is important to you, I suggest you book it and pay for it with a Credit card.  When TA OBC is posted once onboard, you could ask GS to refund your cash payment, and apply OBC.  

Theoretically, thst switch should happen automatically since the onboard accounting system first applies non-refundable assets in your account against the running balance.

• Thanks 2

On 2/28/2024 at 7:44 PM, daydreamer62 said:

I have a related question to this. On our upcoming June 1  cruise there is a culinary class listed but it's in a port day that I don't want to miss. Are other classes ever  added later . We do have just one sea day on this cruise and obviously that would be my(and most peoples I imagine) preference. 

Is this the 6/1 cruise on Marina?  We're on that cruise, but I haven't seen the culinary classes show up yet...

@Skyrose I am not sure if your classes are listed yet but if you’re looking in excursions you won’t find them.  On the website when you go to excursions there are other tabs (dining, hotels, etc.).  One of the tabs is called other options. Click on that as that’s where I found the classes for our sailing.

1 hour ago, Skyrose said:

Is this the 6/1 cruise on Marina?  We're on that cruise, but I haven't seen the culinary classes show up yet...

As is the case with the tours section of the O web, know that availability of culinary classes (like excursions) shown may be incorrect- particularly if you are on a multi-segment cruise. ALWAYS call O to confirm what’s available!!!

3 hours ago, Skyrose said:

No it's on Vista but I found more listed. I just hadn't scrolled along far enough.. All on port days though which is annoying 

4 hours ago, daydreamer62 said:

No it's on Vista but I found more listed. I just hadn't scrolled along far enough.. All on port days though which is annoying 

Thank you. Yes, that would be quite annoying!  I wonder why they did that. 

7 hours ago, Carnevale said:

@Skyrose I am not sure if your classes are listed yet but if you’re looking in excursions you won’t find them.  On the website when you go to excursions there are other tabs (dining, hotels, etc.).  One of the tabs is called other options. Click on that as that’s where I found the classes for our sailing.

I do know that.  They just aren't showing up yet. I had called O and was told we would need to sign up on board.  That's why I wondered if  Daydreamer is on the same cruise and could see/do something I couldn't.   The website can be wonky at times.

7 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

As is the case with the tours section of the O web, know that availability of culinary classes (like excursions) shown may be incorrect- particularly if you are on a multi-segment cruise. ALWAYS call O to confirm what’s available!!!

I totally agree!

5 hours ago, Skyrose said:

I do know that.  They just aren't showing up yet. I had called O and was told we would need to sign up on board.  That's why I wondered if  Daydreamer is on the same cruise and could see/do something I couldn't.   The website can be wonky at times.

I'm on Vista 1 June from Trieste 

Posted (edited)

We are on the same Vista 1 June Trieste cruise. So most important - it's nice to meet you virtually and maybe we will see you on the ship. With regard to your question, I had the same problem with not seeing my OBC transfer for our culinary class or gratuities I signed up for.  I went ahead and paid with credit card so will see what happens once on board. The website says culinary classes and beverage packages (which lists gratuities) can be used with prepaid credits so hopefully all are covered. I'll have a shore excursion ready just in case though. 

Edited by Mahalp

I called O and they were very helpful. They managed to make it possible for me to access the OBC from our TA now and then they canceled the credit card booking I had made and rebooked the class using the OBC.  We are very happy!

• Like 1