No more Sailor Loot from travel agent on MNVV booking?

Posted (edited)

I was considering booking one of the 2025 San Juan sailings and contacted a TA who I had used for my first VV sailing earlier this month, when she offered me $100 Sailor Loot. She did not offer me any this time and said that VV is no longer allowing it on bookings using MNVV. Is that true? Personally, I can't believe how stingy the agents are on OBC with Virgin, given that they apparently get a very generous commission. Even my usual TA who gives me 10% back on Celebrity and whose email when they started selling VV said 5%, is now just $100 (and I did not confirm whether it would apply to a MVV booking). Obviously I would get the $600 Sailor Loot from VV, the SL from the TA was in addition to that.

Edited by MisterBill99

• MisterBill99 changed the title to No more Sailor Loot from travel agent on MNVV booking?

How much of her commission would you like to see given to you? Just curious...I know that the MNVV OBC has been reduced, so mayhaps commissions are next...

7 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I believe only a certain level of agent gets the extra $100 per booking.

Maybe your agent lost their status.

The agent is one of their top agencies. They're offering an entry into a contest for a free cruise instead of the Sailor Loot.

5 minutes ago, MisterBill99 said:

The agent is one of their top agencies. They're offering an entry into a contest for a free cruise instead of the Sailor Loot.

You should have been on the Delta flight from ATL to San Juan today.

Sir Richard came on board and gave everyone a free cruise on the Resilient when she starts sailing out of San Juan later this year.

• Like 8

23 minutes ago, jwattle said:

How much of her commission would you like to see given to you? Just curious...I know that the MNVV OBC has been reduced, so mayhaps commissions are next...

First, the MNVV OBC is not reduced if you book within n60 days on purchasing it.

I'd love to get the same amount I get for Celebrity. That doesn't seem to be possible, but I'd certainly like to get SOMETHING (otherwise, I would not bother booking with an agent).  I didn't get much the first time, obviously, but this agency had a MNVV to sell me, so they got my business. Now that I have my own to use, I can be more selective. I don't want to get into commission percentages, but what I read online is that VV pays on the full fare and does not exclude a non-commissionable portion as other lines do.

Just now, CineGraphic said:

You should have been on the Delta flight from ATL to San Juan today.

Sir Richard came on board and gave everyone a free cruise on the Resilient when she starts sailing out of San Juan later this year.

Yes, I saw that! 

I choose my TA for service.  Yes, she is in the top 10 again this year, but I think she is there because of her service.  Sure, $100 in loot was nice, but she has saved me more than that twice by doing a cancel and rebook when VV came out with a better pricing deal, and does this automatically for all of her bookings.  She re-runs the numbers and contacts those who could get a better price to verify this is OK with them.  She deals with VV for me....and their shoreside service is a pain.  She makes my dining reservations thru her portal when the app crashes. She loads all of our info into an app so I have everything at my fingertips--addresses, phone numbers, confirmation numbers and I can track members of my party who are flying from other places (we often do this and meet up in Miami).

My first VV cruise, I booked on my own.  Sure, I can do it...but her service is well worth using.  The extra $100 has been nice, but  VV not allowing it any more is not a reason to not use a super agent.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

It's certain agency affiliations. 🙂

On 2/29/2024 at 7:48 PM, MisterBill99 said:

She did not offer me any this time and said that VV is no longer allowing it on bookings using MNVV. Is that true?

That is correct. The $100 Sailor Loot automatically given by Gold Certified First Mates is no longer combinable with the MNVV. Hasn't been since January I believe. 

Posted (edited)
On 2/29/2024 at 10:11 PM, CineGraphic said:

No VV took away the ability to combine Gold Certified First Mate Sailor Loot with the MNVV back in January. It's still available for The Sea Terrace or above if you're not using an MNVV.

Edited by CruisingWalter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

It's not just agents with status.

Virgin has made most of the $100 loot offers that TAs have had available (Gold Tier, Cruise Night calls, and the "Exclusive" loot some agencies still have) no longer combinable with MNVV. Most of the offers are still there, but not if you use an MNVV.

However, TAs who belong to certain large consortia can still add $100 per cabin regardless of category, that combines with MNVV, but only on select sailings.

MNVVs are still an excellent value and many TAs stock up on them for their clients use. Sadly, the glory days of piling loot upon loot is over, at least for now.

On 3/1/2024 at 4:39 AM, cantgetin said:

I choose my TA for service.  Yes, she is in the top 10 again this year, but I think she is there because of her service.  Sure, $100 in loot was nice, but she has saved me more than that twice by doing a cancel and rebook when VV came out with a better pricing deal, and does this automatically for all of her bookings.  She re-runs the numbers and contacts those who could get a better price to verify this is OK with them.  She deals with VV for me....and their shoreside service is a pain.  She makes my dining reservations thru her portal when the app crashes. She loads all of our info into an app so I have everything at my fingertips--addresses, phone numbers, confirmation numbers and I can track members of my party who are flying from other places (we often do this and meet up in Miami).

My first VV cruise, I booked on my own.  Sure, I can do it...but her service is well worth using.  The extra $100 has been nice, but  VV not allowing it any more is not a reason to not use a super agent.

I also use my TA for the service.  I have had to change my sailings a couple times and I was glad to not have to wait on hold to do it my self.  I love that your agent continues to look for better pricing; I do this for myself for all of the other parts of the trip that I book myself...airfair, hotels etc.  I have save myself $$$ many times.