enchanted chardonnays

You will not know until you are on board.  They change both by where you are cruising and according to availability.  They also varied from bar to bar and changed as the cruise progressed and they sold out of some.

The wine bar had a dozen last cruise and usually several in the MDR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Star Voyager said:

Leaving next week out of Ft Lauderdale, just wondering if I should bring my own. Thanks

If you like an oaky/buttery Chardonnay, you may want to bring your own if it’s easy to do.  It’s been every hit or miss over the last year.  
I was so very happy last year when I got Rombauer, then I found Hartford and the Mer Soleil in the bottle with the yellow label and the Kendall Jackson Private Reserve, a nice Beringer, so those were all great but I sometimes struggle as they’ve gone to only the Flowers on the premier package, which isn’t that great IMO.  On the Plus package, it’s all Canyon Road, which is total ICK!  

If you have the ability to bring your own, I would. This has been one of the most disappointing changes by Princess over the last few years. Chardonnay selection by the glass has really gone downhill. Historically, I would go on a cruise, try the Chardonnay offerings by the glass and often found some of my new favorites that I would then drink at home. Canyon Road is the only Chardonnay regularly included in the Plus package on North America sailings. Depending on the ship, Vines might have another. Canyon Road is truly awful and I can't understand why Princess continues to serve it. Canyon Road is also the Plus option for Pinot Grigio...maybe a little better, but still pretty bad. My cruise last month, I found a Sauvignon Blanc included with Plus by the glass that I preferred to either the Chardonnay or the Pinot Grigio, though Chardonnay is usually my 'go to'.

I complain every survey and certainly hope others do too.....

• Like 1

Yikes yes I do like full bodied buttery chardonnay, guess I will have to bring a few bottles. was hoping   since we  had plus pkg I would find something drinkable. Kendall Jackson would be ok but was hoping for something better.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2024 at 6:19 AM, Star Voyager said:

Leaving next week out of Ft Lauderdale, just wondering if I should bring my own. Thanks

I'll be on the end of May and would love to know what options you had to choose from.  If you think of it could you come back here and post what you experienced for yourself?  Please and thank you!!

21 hours ago, Star Voyager said:

Yikes yes I do like full bodied buttery chardonnay, guess I will have to bring a few bottles. was hoping   since we  had plus pkg I would find something drinkable. Kendall Jackson would be ok but was hoping for something better.

If you can't find anything drinkable in the Plus package listings, you can always choose from the higher priced offerings in the Premier package and pay the few dollars upcharge. On the Discovery a few weeks ago we drank the Flowers Chardonnay regularly. Hardly award winning but a LONG way above the rotgut Canyon Road stuff.

1 hour ago, lx200gps said:

If you can't find anything drinkable in the Plus package listings, you can always choose from the higher priced offerings in the Premier package and pay the few dollars upcharge. On the Discovery a few weeks ago we drank the Flowers Chardonnay regularly. Hardly award winning but a LONG way above the rotgut Canyon Road stuff.

Canyon Road makes a nice spritzer.  DW likes it mixed 50/50 with tonic.

As for having the buttery chardonnays we are used to finding in the US, simply put more and more the wineries are either not able to supply the cruise line and the huge orders (with hug discount) the cruise lines demand.  Lots easier to sell to wholesalers in each state and more profitable.

Also chardonnays elsewhere tendcto have a drier lighter style.

2 hours ago, Star Voyager said:

I will let you know after our cruise what is available, we are able to bring 1 bottle per person, each additional bottle is 20 dollars.

So is that $20 the corkage? May I take it to any dining venue no charge after that?

There are so many very good Burgundy's at very affordable price. No reason why a company as large as Carnival/Princess couldn't buy an entire run from a winery.

Instead they list a $20-$25 (retail in a local wine shop) Burgundy as a ultra-premium at $60+ by the bottle. The domestics are almost all butter bombs.

A shame really, considering that the Princess wine offerings were once highly regarded by the wine industry. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pickypicky said:

So is that $20 the corkage? May I take it to any dining venue no charge after that?

$20 is for the corkage and yes, you can take it to any dining venue or even just pour a glass in your cabin to take with you.  
if opened but not finished, they will store the bottle for you and it can be retried from any dining room for you.