Is Seabourn still 6*?

2 minutes ago, SDuckers said:

As a proud Native Kansan, I think I'm glad I missed the post.

Don't worry. I think the post was more in relation to a Wizard of Oz reference. Well I think so?

The whole twist and turns of this conversation is both fascinating and repellant from a psychological point of view.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SDuckers said:

As a proud Native Kansan, I think I'm glad I missed the post.

My apologies to all those wonderful people from Kansas, some of whom I have sailed with, for insinuating that someone on this thread was kicked in the head by a horse there. Metaphorically speaking.

17 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I will add that on the new Explora Journeys you will only find caviar in one of their 4 restaurants (Marble and Co) so you might prefer that line :).  

Same supplier as Silversea, yet a very different product.  Explora paying the higher price (today).

15 hours ago, frantic36 said:

Don't worry. I think the post was more in relation to a Wizard of Oz reference. Well I think so?

The whole twist and turns of this conversation is both fascinating and repellant from a psychological point of view.

Of course you are right. In the Wizard of Oz, Dorothy wants to go home because there is no place like home. When people get annoyed about anything that is different from home - like having champagne and caviar — they are sometimes called Dorothy and/or advised to remain in Kansas. It’s an Oz metaphor.

This is a hoot! For non-Canadians this exchange between Montreal & Toronto covers so many topics...Habs & Leafs anyone if you want to see gloves come off!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Cantara24 said:

This is a hoot! For non-Canadians this exchange between Montreal & Toronto covers so many topics...Habs & Leafs anyone if you want to see gloves come off!

Thanks for the insight. I did a google search.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, formaggio pantoufle said:

Who even gives out more than five stars?????

Many travel sites do.  Here's one (I think I'm not supposed to say the name of the group here).

And, yes, all of Seabourn's ships are 6* on this site.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 16-44-27 Seabourn Cruises Seabourn Seabourn Cruise Line Seabourn Cruise Discounts Seabourn Cruise.png

On 3/5/2024 at 4:08 PM, Astride said:

No, they are not contradictory. The first sentence expresses lack of understanding of an obsession. The second sentence expresses lack of empathy for that obsession. What I am saying is that, if one of the chief reasons for cruising on SB is the availability of free caviar & champagne, why not save yourself a lot of money & buy a large supply of caviar & champagne & stay home.

A lack of empathy leads to a lack of understanding.

• Like 1

I noted that one popular travel agent site cites that Seadream Yacht Club is 5 1/2 stars.  So I guess the raters can be very particular.  Guessing they deducted 1/2 star for old ships.  

18 hours ago, skybluewaters said:

Many travel sites do.  Here's one (I think I'm not supposed to say the name of the group here).

And, yes, all of Seabourn's ships are 6* on this site.

Screenshot 2024-03-07 at 16-44-27 Seabourn Cruises Seabourn Seabourn Cruise Line Seabourn Cruise Discounts Seabourn Cruise.png

without knowing the source, it is difficult to assess what this means.

When Michelin  provides a rating, you know what the criteria are and who the judges are.  You still may or may not agree with them, but at least you have a context.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JPH814 said:

without knowing the source, it is difficult to assess what this means.

When Michelin  provides a rating, you know what the criteria are and who the judges are.  You still may or may not agree with them, but at least you have a context.

I agree.

Posted (edited)

Seabourn is not 6*. Whoever said it was, as posters above question? Seabourn? And what about their competitors ie Silversea and Regent? If they are 6* Seabourn, and we all have our opinions about them and their particular ships, well, Seabourn just plain isn’t. (And I do not consider Viking, Oceania and Azamara contenders for this cohort at all.)

The ships’ designs - apart from the fabulous Venture and Pursuit - are outdated. No walking track and the pool is tiny relative to passenger numbers. 

Here we are in Indonesia for a few days with 6 ports where it is very hot and humid. On all port days the MDR is closed for lunch leaving the Colonnade and poolside Patio the only options for lunch. In the past several days we have had the awful and cheap Philippine buffet in the Colonnade but at least that is regional. We have also had Scandinavian, Baltic and Norwegian buffets or dinners there, the same as on all the other Seabourn ships on the same days. Yesterday’s “Norwegian rice pudding” was so thick and dry you could not tip it out if you flipped the bowl and shook it.

Like it or not this is the way it is and it’s been that way for many years no matter how ridiculous that sounds from here. Corporate’s laziness and/or craziness always rules. So we have lots of salad- Caesar, mixed etc and also soup.

Fortunately, we have a fine, talented and resourceful French chef in charge of MDR dinners. He promises to have an Indonesian buffet at lunch with fish he purchased in Banda Naira yesterday. That is 5* initiative and I fully expect a delicious execution.

On the positive side, Seabourn has the most engaging officers and crew complement I have encountered on any cruise line. Their engaging manner make Seabourn a “family”, and this helps explain the comfort levels we feel here. Our cabin is well maintained and comfortable. Our fellow passengers are well mannered on this long cruise. So all is well there. But to overlook the lack of creativity and the irony that we see at the Colonnade, virtually our only venue available with air conditioning at lunchtimes, is wrong. Surely Seabourn can do better if it wants to move up the ratings. Sadly, I doubt they will though.

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 5

Remaining convinced Seabourn is anywhere near 6*? 

Yesterday we ordered Kir Royale at the Obs Bar. Big mistake, but revealing. What we were served was lavender colored, not the ruby you would see on any quality cruise line. I looked at the “cassis” and it was Mr Boston. Whereas the real thing retails in the US for $30 and up this fraternity party budget mixer is $6.99.

You have got to be kidding me! Is it time to hands-on manage the managers onboard and scrounge around the cabinets for better brands? I shudder at the thought. The irony is Seabourn still pours a reasonable brand of house champagne and then ruins it.

Happy and healthy sailing!