90 or 120 Days PRIOR to cruise for Specialty Dining?

I’ve read on different posts in the past month two different ‘dates prior to your cruise’ when specialty dining opens for reservations. Can anyone confirm that it’s 90 days or 120 days? 

Is this also when shore excursions open for booking up as well?

Thank you! 👍

Shore excursions can be booked as soon as they appear. It can be a year away or they may only appear a few months before the cruise.

Dinners are 120 days unless you're Platinum or higher.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Dining opens at midnight eastern time 130 days for suites, 125 for club balcony and top tier latitudes members - priority guests. 

On a weeklong or longer cruises reservations open for everyone else 120 days before departure. 

It is 90 days for non-holiday cruises of 6 days or less for non-priority guests. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

On a weeklong cruise, dining opens at midnight eastern time 130 days for suites, 125 for club balcony and top tier latitudes members, and 120 days for everyone else

Would it be safe to assume that this is going to be about the same for longer 25-night repositioning cruises? 🤔

1 minute ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Would it be safe to assume that this is going to be about the same for longer 25-night repositioning cruises? 🤔

Yes. But there will be limited competition for reservations.

The upcoming transit from Miami to Vancouver is surprisingly sold out. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Yes. But there will be limited competition for reservations.

The upcoming transit from Miami to Vancouver is surprisingly sold out. 

Is that on the Norwegian Encore? To me that’s quite surprising on a ship that size with so many dining options. Wow.

I’ve got my it set now on my iPhone calendar as a reminder. Just want to make sure I can grab some of those 5:30pm time slots. 😉

IMG_7539.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

2 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Is that on the Norwegian Encore? To me that’s quite surprising on a ship that size with so many dining options. Wow.

The ship is sold out. The dining options aren't even close due to the number of days available.

Just now, UKstages said:

typically, 5:30 is no problem... generally wide open.

it's the 7 - 8 pm reservations that "sell out" more quickly.

That would be perfect! I’m booking a 7-night specialty dining package, and along with the 2 freebies have already picked out which restaurants I want to eat in. I’m hoping 9 nights will be enough! 

5 minutes ago, FPMoosally said:

The ship is sold out. The dining options aren't even close due to the number of days available.

Wow. 😳 

Despite their huge popularity there are a couple of specialty restaurants on Norwegian Jade I’m personally not that interested in: the Brazilian Steakhouse, Le Bistro, and Teppanyaki, even though I may change my mind later. Cagney’s and La Cucina will get the bulk of my reservations. 

Wow. 😳 

Despite their huge popularity there are a couple of specialty restaurants on Norwegian Jade I’m personally not that interested in: the Brazilian Steakhouse, Le Bistro, and Teppanyaki, even though I may change my mind later. Cagney’s and La Cucina will get the bulk of my reservations. 

Never been on the Jade, but Le Bistro is a "must do" for us, regardless of the ship. If you've got 9 meals, give it a try. I don't think you'll regret it. Moderno was very good on the Escape, but I've heard it can be hit and miss. Since it is gone on all new ships after the Escape, you might want to try it while you can. The meat was fantastic for me, and my wife raved about the salad bar.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FPMoosally said:

Never been on the Jade, but Le Bistro is a "must do" for us, regardless of the ship. If you've got 9 meals, give it a try. I don't think you'll regret it. Moderno was very good on the Escape, but I've heard it can be hit and miss. Since it is gone on all new ships after the Escape, you might want to try it while you can. The meat was fantastic for me, and my wife raved about the salad bar.

I’ve looked at the menu for Le Bistro and it looks fantastic, I just hear it’s more dressy in the evening for dinner? I’m not taking a suit or tux. Trying to restrict some of my clothing options due to the length of the cruise. I’ve also eaten at a Brazilian-Style steakhouse on Allure of the Seas and it wasn’t a good experience. Dining as a solo it’s kind of awkward. If it’s better on NCL it might be worth a revisit. 

8 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’ve looked at the menu for Le Bistro and it looks fantastic, I just hear it’s more dressy in the evening for dinner? I’m not taking a suit or tux. Trying to restrict some of my clothing options due to the length of the cruise. I’ve also eaten at a Brazilian-Style steakhouse on Allure of the Seas and it wasn’t a good experience. Dining as a solo it’s kind of awkward. If it’s better on NCL it might be worth a revisit. 

No shorts; men in nice jeans or slacks and a collared shirt.

• Thanks 1

No suit or tux!!

Le Bistro requires men to wear long pants and collared shirt (short or long sleeved).

If you are on the Encore, Le Bistro is high up on deck 17 port side next to the aft elevators - fantastic sea views. lovely place to dine in.

On Encore it's not La Cucina but Onda. Our fave (along with Le Bistro). If you're on a long cruise with multiple dining coupons, I bet you'll visit each of Le Bistro and Onda TWICE - just to have different entrees if you are undecided the first time, ha ha.

Another restaurant to try is Los Lobos ....

5:30 reservations are quite easy, so you'll manage!

ENJOY!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

1 minute ago, bluesea777 said:

No suit or tux!!

Le Bistro requires men to wear long pants and collared shirt (short or long sleeved).

If you are on the Encore, Le Bistro is high up on deck 17 port side next to the aft elevators - fantastic sea views. lovely place to dine in.

On Encore it's not La Cucina but Onda. Our fave (along with Le Bistro). If you're on a long cruise with multiple dining coupons, I bet you'll visit each of Le Bistro and Onda TWICE - just to have different entrees if you are undecided the first time, ha ha.

Another restaurant to try is Los Lobos ....

5:30 reservations are quite easy, so you'll manage!

ENJOY!

THANK YOU! This may have very well changed my mind! 

And I’m on the Norwegian Jade, so no Los Lobos. 🥲 My cruise is 25-nights so I’m strategically spreading out my evening meals on 9-nights of specialty dining, as well O’Sheehan’s, Jasmine Garden, the MDR, and the other complimentary venues. 

15 minutes ago, DrUrsula said:

I am bringing a couple pair of docker slacks so that should be good enough. I’m trying not to pack 2 suitcases and a carry-on, but due to the extremes in weather it may be unavoidable. Might pack a light sports jacket just in case. 😉 This is all very exciting! 

Might pack a light sports jacket just in case.

Any type of dinner jacket will put you in the top 1% of well-dressed men. Add a tie, and it will the top .1%

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FPMoosally said:

Any type of dinner jacket will put you in the top 1% of well-dressed men. Add a tie, and it will the top .1%

This made me very happy and smile. 😁

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dmwnc1959 said:

This made me very happy and smile. 😁

I wear a tie to Le Bistro, no jacket. Last cruise, a woman at the table next to us made her husband go back to the room and change. A little extreme, but he was wearing a sloppy necked t-shirt. He didn't argue. 😆 

I dress the way I want -- as long as my wife approves. I guess he felt the same way.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

THANK YOU! This may have very well changed my mind! 

And I’m on the Norwegian Jade, so no Los Lobos. 🥲 My cruise is 25-nights so I’m strategically spreading out my evening meals on 9-nights of specialty dining, as well O’Sheehan’s, Jasmine Garden, the MDR, and the other complimentary venues. 

You'll do great with the Jade especially it's a Panama Canal .... you get to go thru the old locks, not the new ones. Jade is a mid-sized ship and due to the length of cruise there probably won't be a lot of lids on board.

You mentioned that Moderno is out but why don't you go to the Sugarcane bar for a mojito one time and pop into the restaurant to take a look at the salad bar there. It's quite good!

You can use a dining coupon for sushi - 4 items off the menu.

We're on the Gem (sister ship to the Jade) for the two back to back Panama Canal cruises in December this year. First one is Miami to Panama City (Pacific side) via the ABC islands, and the second is from Panama City back to Miami via western Caribbean. We're looking forward to that.

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

You'll do great with the Jade especially it's a Panama Canal .... you get to go thru the old locks, not the new ones. Jade is a mid-sized ship and due to the length of cruise there probably won't be a lot of lids on board.

You mentioned that Moderno is out but why don't you go to the Sugarcane bar for a mojito one time and pop into the restaurant to take a look at the salad bar there. It's quite good!

You can use a dining coupon for sushi - 4 items off the menu.

We're on the Gem (sister ship to the Jade) for the two back to back Panama Canal cruises in December this year. First one is Miami to Panama City (Pacific side) via the ABC islands, and the second is from Panama City back to Miami via western Caribbean. We're looking forward to that.

I’m hoping that with the ships smaller size, lack of kid-friendly activities (compared to the much larger ships), and long repositioning cruise length that the number of kids on board will be at a minimum, even if it is over spring break and Easter. 

I got the mojito menu a couple of days ago on another thread, and it’s also a must-do on my list! The restaurant looks fairly intimate, and I think that may be why I’ve shied away from some specialty dining and opted for the buffet for dinner in years past. 

Sushi is always an option. I’m wondering though if it’s so good that it’s worth expending one of the 9-nights of specialty dining I’ll have on the reservation. 

And I’ve definitely considered the B2B Tampa-Panama City-Miami to the point I’ve held a cabin (two different times) but let them slide in favor of the much longer cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’ve got my it set now on my iPhone calendar as a reminder. Just want to make sure I can grab some of those 5:30pm time slots. 😉

The cruise is sold out. There should be limited competition for dining. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The cruise is sold out. There should be limited competition for dining. 

We've traditionally found sea days to be the most competitive, but with 8 of those (and only 3 FAS meals) I imagine it's going to be wide open. Also, the fact that it seems about 1/3 of the ship is disembarking on day 15 in LA, it should be a no-brainer.

16 minutes ago, FPMoosally said:

We've traditionally found sea days to be the most competitive, but with 8 of those (and only 3 FAS meals) I imagine it's going to be wide open. Also, the fact that it seems about 1/3 of the ship is disembarking on day 15 in LA, it should be a no-brainer.

This was/is a concern of mine for the Norwegian Jade repositioning from Tampa, and having loads of spring breakers and kids.

The cruise isn’t sold in segments (it’s one 25-night cruise) or bookable as 15-nights or 21-nights like the Norwegian Encore. This would make it seem less likely to have folks disembarking on Day 16/18 in LA or SF since they’d miss Alaska and also need to request permission for ‘early departure’ from the cruise. 

I’ve never cruised in April, so this is a leap of faith that the longer 25-night cruise will have a  more ‘aged’ passenger demographic. 😉