Shorex Booking Policy Change?

FetaCheese

I received a "Final Reminder Last Chance" email today re:  Shorex Booking, from V for my upcoming cruise, 2 weeks out.

Says all shorex -- included and optional --must be booked online, prior to boarding.  Also only 2 days left to make bookings, and no bookings can be made whilst onboard.

Called V, rep says, yes that's the policy.

I do not remember this policy from 3 prior cruises.

Comments, please.

Thanks 

13 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

I received a "Final Reminder Last Chance" email today re:  Shorex Booking, from V for my upcoming cruise, 2 weeks out.

Says all shorex -- included and optional --must be booked online, prior to boarding.  Also only 2 days left to make bookings, and no bookings can be made whilst onboard.

Comments, please.

Thanks 

First I have heard of this.  We have always booked in advance, but also onboard.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

Comments, please.

Thanks 

That seems like a new policy.  We often change things once we board.  Did your Viking rep say anything about cancellations once on board?

1 minute ago, millybess said:

That seems like a new policy.  We often change things once we board.  Did your Viking rep say anything about cancellations once on board?

Said if your previously booked tour is CXL'd by V, they may make an exception, and allow you to book another onboard.

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Said if your previously booked tour is CXL'd by V, they may make an exception, and allow you to book another onboard.

I'll be interested to see how this pans out.  We sometimes cancel optional shore excursions once on board within the required timeframe and I would think they would want to fill those spots.

• Like 3

This will definitely be interesting to see if anyone else can confirm. I just can't imagine this being the policy. I know it closes 7 days out, and then people say you can make changes on board after that. Maybe the Viking rep just got confused with that policy.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

This will definitely be interesting to see if anyone else can confirm. I just can't imagine this being the policy. I know it closes 7 days out, and then people say you can make changes on board after that. Maybe the Viking rep just got confused with that policy.

From my email:

Final Reminder

As a final reminder, we ask that you review MyVikingJourney.com. Before you depart on your Viking cruise, personalize your cruise experience and ensure you have booked all of your excursions, dining and spa treatments.

MY VIKING JOURNEY

You have two days to adjust bookings online. Bookings will then close before your cruise sets sail. Once you arrive on board, you will again have the ability to manage your included and optional shore excursions and dining options, with one exception—all shore excursion bookings within the first two days of sailing will be locked-in and non-refundable. Please remember both included and optional excursions must be booked prior to departure.

Also, pre-registering your credit card prior to your departure will save you time during embarkation check-in.

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board soon!

Edited by FetaCheese
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

@FetaCheese - Oh, so just the bookings on the first 2 days are locked in. That's a different thing.

Yup. We got that in 2022, as I recall. They stopped allowing changes in the couple of days before boarding, and no changes for the first couple of days of the cruise. We did talk with the excursion people on boarding day about getting on a waiting list for a later excursion and had no problem.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Twitchly said:

Yup. We got that in 2022, as I recall. They stopped allowing changes in the couple of days before boarding, and no changes for the first couple of days of the cruise. We did talk with the excursion people on boarding day about getting on a waiting list for a later excursion and had no problem.

Yes, that I can see. It's chaotic to try and change things on the first day. However, the OP made it sound like they couldn't change ANY excursions for the entire cruise. And all the emails related to shore excursions have been saying it closes 7 days prior, which also makes sense.

5 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

Comments, please.

Thanks 

Totally ludicrous policy. Easy solution is to boycott Optional Shore-ex and only book private tours.

Sorry Viking, yet another reduction to the original exceptional customer service standards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

From my email:

Final Reminder

As a final reminder, we ask that you review MyVikingJourney.com. Before you depart on your Viking cruise, personalize your cruise experience and ensure you have booked all of your excursions, dining and spa treatments.

MY VIKING JOURNEY

You have two days to adjust bookings online. Bookings will then close before your cruise sets sail. Once you arrive on board, you will again have the ability to manage your included and optional shore excursions and dining options, with one exception—all shore excursion bookings within the first two days of sailing will be locked-in and non-refundable. Please remember both included and optional excursions must be booked prior to departure.

Also, pre-registering your credit card prior to your departure will save you time during embarkation check-in.

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board soon!

We got this exact same notice before our February 12, 2024 South America & Chilean Fjords cruise.  The reason you can't cancel excursions "within the first two days of sailing" is because of Viking's 48 hour cancellation policy for paid excursions.  We were able to cancel all booked excursions after that, and book any included or optional excursions while onboard that were not sold out.  Hope this helps. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Totally ludicrous policy. Easy solution is to boycott Optional Shore-ex and only book private tours.

Sorry Viking, yet another reduction to the original exceptional customer service standards.

On private tours we've taken there's always a cut-off date for cancellation in order to get a refund.  I think ToursByLocals is 15 days.  I guess one could buy insurance for the tour but that I think that'd be a bit silly.  

Isn't Viking's policy doing the same thing with a 2-day cancellation cut-off?  Please let me know if I don't accurately understand Viking's policy as it may change our practices.

35 minutes ago, mwike said:

On private tours we've taken there's always a cut-off date for cancellation in order to get a refund.  I think ToursByLocals is 15 days.  I guess one could buy insurance for the tour but that I think that'd be a bit silly.  

Isn't Viking's policy doing the same thing with a 2-day cancellation cut-off?  Please let me know if I don't accurately understand Viking's policy as it may change our practices.

I don't use Tours by Locals, or any of the other 3rd party booking sites. I only book directly with a vendor and many don't take payment prior to the tour and ones that do are usually 24 hr cancellation. If the ship doesn't dock, I only book tour providing a full refund.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Look at the screenshot the OP posted, it only applies to excursions within the first 2 days of sailing. That's not unreasonable at all. That's basically a 48 hour window, which many other companies have as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

Look at the screenshot the OP posted, it only applies to excursions within the first 2 days of sailing. That's not unreasonable at all. That's basically a 48 hour window, which many other companies have as well.

It’s also not a change in policy. It’s been that way since I can remember.

BTW on our Athens to Rome cruise we inadvertently pre-booked an optional excursion on our first full day on the ship that was identical to the excursion we had on our pre-cruise extension. When we boarded and explained the situation, Viking allowed us to change to a different optional excursion and reimbursed the difference. The policy is there because Viking is contracting with 3rd party tour operators which need time to schedule their resources. It would be chaotic to allow 1000 pax to make changes during a very busy embarkation window. They will however do their best to accommodate you under certain circumstances.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 9

13 minutes ago, kctwinmommy said:

Since I quoted the original post, I was commenting on the fact all optional and included tours must be booked online prior to the cruise. The OP stated no option to book onboard. The OP did not qualify application to shore-ex within the first 2-days.

We tend to book longer cruises, so if the OP is factual, this policy is ridiculous and completely unnecessary.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

That's not what it says, reading what you subsequently posted.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

That's not what it says, reading what you subsequently posted.

To me, it seems possible that the Viking rep FetaCheese talked to misinterpreted the policy.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, FetaCheese said:

OP @FetaCheese here.

Thanks to all who have provided info.  I most likely read the email to quickly.  Should have read it a couple more times, for better understanding.

It happens! I did that with a recent email regarding OBC for new bookings. I read that even if I booked a 2026 cruise, it had to be paid in full by April 30, 2024! I was like, no way am I paying $15-18,000 for a cruise 2.5 years away. I missed it, the print was so small, that it broke it down by each year. 😉 So if we booked that 2026 cruise, it was due in like April 2026.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This thread is a good illustration that even reasonable people can misinterpret what they read, that sometimes what gets posted in one part of a thread gets clarified later on, and that sadly, Viking agents on the phone still do not always have the right answer!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

As far as I know, 48 hours in advance has allways been the cut off for cancellations, booking can happen anytime. 

We have only booked a few ships tours, as we find a lot of time is wasted on them, and they are expensive 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1