Choose your favorite current HAL ship!!!

Choose your favorite current HAL Ship!  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Choose your favorite!!!

• Zaandam
    • Volendam
    • Oosterdam
    • Westerdam
    • Zuiderdam
    • Noordam
    • Eurodam
    • Nieuw Amsterdam
    • Koningsdam
    • Nieuw Statendam
    • Rotterdam

So, I am back from a wonderful 9 day cruise aboard the Rotterdam!  I, of course, was a little jealous of the cruisers who booked a b2b on the Rotterdam.  Being a teacher, I have to get back to my job.  The cruise was very relaxing.  I know  several of you (including me) have been on cruises in which you NEED a vacation for taking a vacation!  This cruise allowed me to recharge my batteries to finish the school year. 

If I saw a problem with the Rotterdam, it would be the lack of staff.  

I know I always read about people complaining about the food, but no complaints from me!  When I got home, I noticed I gained 4 pounds.  The food, in my opinion, was delicious!  I really liked that the staff always served you on the buffet.  And they always had someone near the washing stations to encourage hand washings.  I didn't really see anyone complain about this, but more of an appreciation to make sure sickness would not spread.  

Rotterdam = 5 STARS

• Like 4

It's very easy to state the Dam one I'm on now but the answer gives no indication of why you like a certain class of ship more or less than another.

In the last two years we have sailed on N Statendam for 10 weeks, Zaandam for two weeks, Zuiderdam for two weeks and are booked on Volendam in September.

We love the variety of the new Pinnacle Class but we found the quality of the entertainers/Musicians varied greatly.  If you have booked an inside cabin on N Statendam you have successfully downsized to  minimalized environment.  We loved the Crow's nest and the Dutch Cafe.  The smaller ships are wonderful for cruising in the traditional way.  The Zuiderdam was the biggest disappointment for the lack of activities for cruisers who enjoy life onboard.

I would vote for Pinnacle class for variety and thank HAL for not going the mega ship route.

• Like 1

Speaking of class…. the Pinnacle Class is the overwhelming favourite, so far.  Signature leads the rest of the classes, but not by much.  Interestingly, I would put them in this same order.

SHIP CLASS

PERCENTAGE

Pinnacle

52%

Signature

17%

Rotterdam

16%

Vista

15%

Add on question - what is your favorite ship in each class?  This assumes that you've sailed on all ships in a class somewhat recently and I'm sure that list of cruisers is pretty short for the Vista class ships and the Pinnacle class ships.

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, singleflyer said:

I'm curious why Oosterdam is in last.  I have a sailing on the Oosterdam coming up... is it really the worst ship?

You are reading too much into an unofficial survey of only CC’ers and no actual guidelines.  It is an unofficial poll!  We sailed the Oosterdam, recently, and have no complaints.  We totally enjoyed our cruise!  There are just preferences but you will find that every HAL ship is wonderful.  Enjoy your cruise!

Editing to add:  The Vista-Class ships cut through marine conditions like a hot knife through butter.  If you are going to encounter rough water, a Vista-Class ship is a great ship to be on.

Edited by *Miss G*
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

You are reading too much into an unofficial survey of only CC’ers and no actual guidelines.  It is an unofficial poll!  We sailed the Oosterdam, recently, and have no complaints.  We totally enjoyed our cruise!  There are just preferences but you will find that every HAL ship is wonderful.  Enjoy your cruise!

Editing to add:  The Vista-Class ships cut through marine conditions like a hot knife through butter.  If you are going to encounter rough water, a Vista-Class ship is a great ship to be on.

Agree.  The Oosterdam is awesome....was on her last year (South America) and boarding her in a few weeks to head to Europe...enjoyed her so much...No issues..clean, everything worked, great staff.......Less votes does not mean there is an issue....

Enjoy the journey....on any of the 'dam ships.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, singleflyer said:

I'm curious why Oosterdam is in last.  I have a sailing on the Oosterdam coming up... is it really the worst ship?

We were on the Oosterdam for a month last fall and totally enjoyed being on her. As Miss G said, this is a very limited polling group. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jljcruise said:

We were on the Oosterdam for a month last fall and totally enjoyed being on her. As Miss G said, this is a very limited polling group. Enjoy your cruise!

We sailed on her last year to South America and loved the ship!  The Captain would always refer to the ship as "the lovely elegant Oosterdam"!!  We totally agreed with that.  Lovely art work all around the ship.  We really enjoyed the Gallery Bar, the bartenders were so fun!!  Never had a bad meal and the ship was spotless!

• Like 3

21 hours ago, singleflyer said:

Oosterdam suffers in this poll because it doesn’t usually do sailings from US/Canada ports, at least over the past few years. So not as many North Americans have experienced her.

• Like 1