MDR Food To Go

We will be on the Celebration in June and I really love the bitter and blanc, but in Aruba the day it appears to be going to be served in the MDR (know things are subject to change as well).   Can you get food to go from the MDR?   I have seen people take food back to the room after table service, but not just waiting around on the food at the entrance like it is Texas Roadhouse.  

We will not be getting back on the ship until late and will not be able to shower and be back out for the dinner time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeblack1 said:

We will be on the Celebration in Can you get food to go from the MDR?

No.

There's no rule that you have to order and eat all 3 courses.  If you go towards the end of the night and explain that you just want dessert, they may be open to seating you even if you're dressed casually.

I have personally asked for items to go from the main dining room after seeing other people do so several times. You just ask the hostess and they will get a server to bring the item to you. Takes about 5 minutes. On every cruise I see this happen multiple times so it is not unusual. One caveat, I always do my time dining, so I'm not sure if it would be any different in the dining room with conventional seating.

• Like 1

We've eaten at the buffet and then go to the MDR for the kids' menu as my daughter loves the nuggets. I would just ask the hostess for a serving of nuggets to go and they bring it out in those neato room service trays.

The last couple cruises we have taken, they no longer allow the food to be taken out of the dining room.  I used to always order the fruit plate for dessert a night or two on my past cruises and been able to take back to my cabin.  Apparently, people were spilling the covered plates of food on the way out of the dining room so they aren't allowing it anymore.  At least that's what we were told by the wait staff on the last 2 cruises.  

About 6 months ago john heald posted that they did not want people taking food to go from mdr. That said, just like all other rules, some staff may allow it, especially with a nice tip

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I asked once if I could take a dessert to go and was told no. That was a few years ago and I haven't asked since.

I could see where that might be a precedent they would not want to set. There's a potential of the front of the MDR clogged with dozens of people getting melting cakes to go every night. 

• Like 1

Just now, staceyglow said:

I could see where that might be a precedent they would not want to set. There's a potential of the front of the MDR clogged with dozens of people getting melting cakes to go every night. 

I was at a table. And just wanted to take my dessert to go. The concern seemed to be about the dish the dessert was in leaving the dining room.

• Like 1

It was Princess, not Carnival, and several years ago (pre-COVID).  My wife had the flu and was confined to our cabin.  I tried to order food for her from the MDR menu to take back to our cabin and I was told that it was not permitted.  She was limited to what I brought her from the buffet, the International Cafe and the room service menu. 

Covid quarantines might have changed the rules -- I've seen lots of small tables outside of Covid rooms for delivery and pick up of meals.

Sooo....it seems I will have to try this and report back.  Sounds like it will likely be a "no,"  but may try it anyway and see what happens.  🙂   Thank you to everyone for the comments!