Napali Coast no longer part of Kaui's scene visit for NCL's Pride of America weekly cruise ... Mahola from Beat of Hawaii

6 hours ago, Panhandle Couple said:

The balcony helps you wake up in the morning with the daylight.  I suppose ocean view would do the same.

Or, you could just set an alarm and turn on a light?  One of these is much cheaper than the others.

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Our favorite way to see the Na Pali coast and the Waimea Grand Canyon was a doors off helicopter .

And our favorite way to see the NCL POA was from the beach at Duke's Canoe Club .

Edited by scubacruiserx2

5 minutes ago, scubacruiserx2 said:

Our favorite way to see the Na Pali coast and the Waimea Grand Canyon was a doors off helicopter .

Agree...doors off! It was amazing to watch the scenery change from canyon to rainforest to the stunning Na Pali coast, complete with a rainbow. I had to keep reminding myself not to stick my head out of the helicopter.

4 minutes ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

Agree...doors off! It was amazing to watch the scenery change from canyon to rainforest to the stunning Na Pali coast, complete with a rainbow. I had to keep reminding myself not to stick my head out of the helicopter.

Doors off? You can get the same result from a Boeing 737...

• Haha 10

Just now, Sugar Magnolia said:

We did stick our heads out . But I used to work on a Bell 412 as a Flight Medic and it was the whole body sometimes wearing SCUBA gear during an air deployment .

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/22/2024 at 1:41 AM, omahabob said:

Kauai is hands down my favorite of the islands. Been there three times, but never on a cruise. We always stay in Princeville, where it's lush and green. Never understood why so many people go down to Poipu on the south coast.

Kauai is my favorite too and split my time between Princeville and Poipu for the different scenery and climate. I do prefer Princeville and miss the St Regis. But also miss Puka Dog in Poipu.

Edited by Sugar Magnolia
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Rmcferr said:

We are booked on the 1/18/25 sailing.the itenary shows leave at 2pm and shows the coast cruise in the itenary picture.

Curious as to where you're seeing a 2:00pm departure on any of the seven days. I have checked three different TA sites, along with NCL's site, and no where do I see a 2:00pm departure (or the coast cruise) on the itinerary for 1/18/25 (one of the dates we would be interested in). 

If you could steer me to where you're seeing this, I'd be interested.

Edited by schmoopie17

On 3/22/2024 at 5:39 AM, Middleager said:

...Napali Coast has the mystic feeling about it.  We've done helicopter and small plane rides to see it before, and a POA cruise in 2019.  So fortunately for us we've done all that...

No matter how many times we see it. it's still breathtaking.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

That brings up an interesting point for those who may tour Na Pali in a helicopter for the first time. If you don't get a doors off helicopter tour, your pictures will contain reflections off the inside of the helicopter plexiglass/lexan. To minimize this, get your camera as close to the 'glass' as possible. Don't actually touch it, because the vibrations can make your pictures out of focus. Use your hands to cushion it. If you're fancy enough to have a rig with a rubber lens hood, that's the best way to go.

Edited by omahabob
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Sugar Magnolia said:

...I do prefer Princeville and miss the St Regis...

It was still the Princeville Resort on our first visit, but was in the process of being gutted to eventually become the St. Regis. They were selling off everything inside, from statues right down to the silverware, and we spent hours perusing the items on sale. I don't remember buying anything, but it was very interesting.

• Like 1

It is definitely a loss for people not to have the opportunity to cruise along the Na'Pali coast.  We did the doors off helicopter (Jack Harter - we flew with him -Jack himself as our pilot- on our honeymoon.) 35 years later (6 years ago) we took our 2 adult children on the Pride of America and did the Jack Harter doors off experience with them in Kauai.  (Jack was in the office - no more flying for him.)   The kids agreed it was the experience of a lifetime- but they would never do the doors off again! 

I've got an off-topic question about POA. What's the dinner dress like? I saw someone's YouTube of their trip and they said dinner was dressy. The woman had tea length or maxi length dresses and the husband had a jacket and slacks. 

My experience in Hawaii has been more island casual. But perhaps the boat is a little more traditional dinner style?

Thanks y'all! 🙂

@ShipawayAtx  Mahalo.  Dress code onboard the POA is typically resort casual - or, Hawaii casual - neat shorts and a colorful, open collar Hawaiian shirt ... or good old Polo shirt w a collar for men, will suffice (except, perhaps in Cagney's or Le Bistro, the upscale specialty dining restaurant)   That's how we packed and dressed for our trip to Oahu and when we sail the POA then.  Seriously doubtful that most pack a blazer or jacket, dress pants w shirt, let alone a tie - and oxford shoes, unless ... they wish & choose to.  

17 minutes ago, ShipawayAtx said:

I've got an off-topic question about POA. What's the dinner dress like? I saw someone's YouTube of their trip and they said dinner was dressy. The woman had tea length or maxi length dresses and the husband had a jacket and slacks. 

My experience in Hawaii has been more island casual. But perhaps the boat is a little more traditional dinner style?

Thanks y'all! 🙂

We found that many of our fellow passengers were either first time cruisers, or first time NCL.

So it is possible some packed and dressed based on anticipated views, not knowing NCL relaxed attitude.

We didn't see any formal dress ups, but maybe "business casual" in a few specialty restaurants.

17 hours ago, ShipawayAtx said:

Thanks y'all! 🙂

The Youtuber either lied or was clueless or was not on NCL or they, themselves, decided to dress up that night.

Every NCL ship is a relaxed dress code and the PoA is even more relaxed, where you can go to the MDR in bermuda shorts and a Hawaiian shirt. Even the Jefferson Bistro only requires a slightly nicer resort casual. That said, NCL will not stop you from showing up in gowns and tuxedos if you wanted to.

• Haha 1

I am confused about our booking. My booking information  from our travel agent shows departure at  2 pm. My booking at my NCL now shows 5:30pm departure. Something changed after we paid our deposit earlier this month. I guess we have more time for shore excursions.

On 3/21/2024 at 7:56 PM, omahabob said:

Okay, the scheduled bus stop near the port is Garden Island Inn and the route is 70, which goes to Kukui Grove in pretty much a continuous loop. It's about a 1000 foot walk from the harbor.

We've used that number 70 bus several times.  It goes both clockwise and anticlockwise, take whichever comes first. It's a little minibus that is only once an hour in each direction so can be totally swamped by cruise people in the morning. 50c per trip, cash only, no change.

At Kukui Grove (the mall) you can change onto the "trunk" routes (still tiny buses) that go up and down the island.  $2 per trip.  Exact change only.

Use the transit option (image of a train) in Google Maps directions to get a live schedule with connections.  We went to Poipu Beach that way, using the 70, then the 200, then another local bus, all as shown by Google.  Total $3 each (each way) compared to $40ish quote for an Uber. Only do this if you have plenty of time (like an overnight).

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...