Getting Off The Ship After Check In And Boarding Prior To Sailing

sasset

If we board at 1130A, and do not sail until 4P, are we allowed to get off the ship and get some lunch? This would be in Tampa.

From my understanding once the ship has been zeroed out on arrival there are no departures allowed. Why not just drop off your luggage and then go for lunch? Come back and check in later when you are done.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

From my understanding once the ship has been zeroed out on arrival there are no departures allowed. Why not just drop off your luggage and then go for lunch? Come back and check in later when you are done.

We have sailed out of Puerto Rico on several occasions and after check in and boarding, have left and taken an Uber to Old San Juan for lunch, and returned prior to the 90 minute all on board prior to sailing window without issue.  I realize that is a different departure port but I would think the ability to leave and reboard would be the same.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

8 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

We have sailed out of Puerto Rico on several occasions and after check in and boarding, have left and taken an Uber to Old San Juan for lunch, and returned prior to the 90 minute all on board prior to sailing window without issue.  I realize that is a different departure port but I would think the ability to leave and reboard would be the same.

I can't speak to non-US ports. I would think it is the same as a B2B in US ports. You can't leave once you have returned back on board..

19 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

I can't speak to non-US ports. I would think it is the same as a B2B in US ports. You can't leave once you have returned back on board..

San Juan is a U.S. port.

• Like 1

this past December, we boarded at 11:30, and then I realized that I had left my purse at our pre-cruise hotel.  We were allowed to exit the ship.  Security scanned us out, and they said, "make sure you are back by 4:30 p.m. for 5 pm sail away."  Luckily, I retrieved my purse and we were back on the ship by 1 pm.  I would ask at check in, and then again once you are on the ship.  

My sister and her husband check in and then head to a wine shop for a few bottles for the cruise.  

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, RTShaker said:

As mentioned PR is considered a US port.  Regarding your comment on B2B cruises, are you speaking from experience?  A B2B is only that to you if you are a passenger on two itineraries that follow each other.  As far as the cruise line is concerned they are two separate itineraries with two separate manifests, and you just happen to be on both.  I don't see why there would be any certain restriction to getting off the ship once boarded just because you are on both manifests.

And as @screwsmcernst indicates I am apparently not the only one who as been able to board, disembark, and reboard a ship prior to departing.  Not arguing, but I believe your understanding of this is incorrect.

• Like 1

San Juan has a later departure too.    But all ships will have lunch provided.    Why would you want to check in  and get off to go eat?     Id drop my luggage  then head out   NOT check in    but make sure you are back BEFORE 3pm.    3:01 you will be denied boarding

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, serene56 said:

But all ships will have lunch provided.    Why would you want to check in  and get off to go eat?     Id drop my luggage  then head out   NOT check in   

The reasons we have checked in first is to avoid having to do that on our return as it is much easier to just reboard.  And depending on the time, it allows us to drop any carry on we have in the stateroom.  We don't only do this to go eat but also to sightsee. 

However, we have a couple of restaurants in OSJ that we enjoy.  We frequently eat lunch, and when port times allow, dinner in different ports. Part of our port of call visiting pleasure. With 50+ cruises to date we have enough opportunity for lunch on the ship during the cruise - LOL.  Just our preference.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

...Regarding your comment on B2B cruises, are you speaking from experience?  A B2B is only that to you if you are a passenger on two itineraries that follow each other.  As far as the cruise line is concerned they are two separate itineraries with two separate manifests, and you just happen to be on both.  I don't see why there would be any certain restriction to getting off the ship once boarded just because you are on both manifests...

Yes. When I did this in Miami we were told that if we wanted to do any thing ashore while in port we had to leave with all other passengers. If we chose to stay aboard we did not have the option to go ashore later. Of course this was 9 years ago and things may well have changed during this time. My bad if it has.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, RTShaker said:

Yes. When I did this in Miami we were told that if we wanted to do any thing ashore while in port we had to leave with all other passengers. If we chose to stay aboard we did not have the option to go ashore later. Of course this was 9 years ago and things may well have changed during this time. My bad if it has.

That seems unusual but I certainly have to accept your experience with this.  But you did have the option to go ashore.  You would have just checked in upon your return.  Maybe others with more recent B2B experience can confirm if that has changed.

The difference in our experience is that we left and reboarded after we initially checked in and boarded.

Recent back to backs our of Ft. Lauderdale certainly allow b2b to get off the ship and later reboard with others checking in. You get an "In Transit" pass to show checking back in. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1