Local tours using a mobility scooter?

dleahy4444

We will be on the Eclipse on the 6/23 sailing which spends 3 days in Bermuda. I’ve never done overnight at this port before. We are traveling with someone with health and mobility issues who will be bringing her own scooter on the ship. However she can walk short distances such as in and out of buses or cabs. Any tour recommendations by local companies? She is interested in cultural or culinary experiences. Thank you all. 

8 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

Thank you, I will check it out 

And to further expand, if Heidi isn't available, you can take what is called a Blue Flag taxi which is one that is specially licenced to give tours. This is the same classification that Heidi falls under. 

A majority of taxis in Bermuda are minivans that are either compact European versions or more full sized American built ones. If the scooter can be collapsed my guess is that it COULD fit into one of the larger sized minivans. But you should confirm that when booking a tour. 

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:
9 hours ago, dleahy4444 said:

And to further expand, if Heidi isn't available, you can take what is called a Blue Flag taxi which is one that is specially licenced to give tours. This is the same classification that Heidi falls under. 

No, Heidi is not the same as a Blue Flag taxi. She probably has some kind of license from the government for tours as Bermuda seems regulate everything. Maybe it is a minibus tour license. Her vehicle is larger than a taxi. Taxis hold a max of 7. Her vehicle can an hold I think 14 but she takes a maximum of ten leaving empty rows. So that’s why I was thinking of her for the mobility scooter if she was available. 

If it is the right kind of mobility scooter, designed for travel that can be disassembled then possibly some blue flag taxis could handle it. 

Edited by Charles4515

On 3/11/2024 at 8:42 PM, dleahy4444 said:

We will be on the Eclipse on the 6/23 sailing which spends 3 days in Bermuda. I’ve never done overnight at this port before. We are traveling with someone with health and mobility issues who will be bringing her own scooter on the ship. However she can walk short distances such as in and out of buses or cabs. Any tour recommendations by local companies? She is interested in cultural or culinary experiences. Thank you all. 

This page on the Bermuda Tourism Authority's website provides the names of two companies providing accessible tours:

https://www.gotobermuda.com/inspiration/article/accessible-bermuda

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

A majority of taxis in Bermuda are minivans that are either compact European versions or more full sized American built ones. If the scooter can be collapsed my guess is that it COULD fit into one of the larger sized minivans. But you should confirm that when booking a tour. 

Thank you. 

12 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

12 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

No, Heidi is not the same as a Blue Flag taxi. She probably has some kind of license from the government for tours as Bermuda seems regulate everything. Maybe it is a minibus tour license. Her vehicle is larger than a taxi. Taxis hold a max of 7. Her vehicle can an hold I think 14 but she takes a maximum of ten leaving empty rows. So that’s why I was thinking of her for the mobility scooter if she was available. 

If it is the right kind of mobility scooter, designed for travel that can be disassembled then possibly some blue flag taxis could handle it. 

It is a collapsible scooter. I looked into the Heidi website and it sounds great but the tours are 6 hours and I think that is too long for her.. ( she has an underlying illness) I will look into the taxis as well as the other link someone else posted. Thank you

Celebrity always offers at least one accessible tour in Bermuda which is geared specifically for individuals in wheelchairs/scooters and their companions. 

I don't know the tour specifics but it will be listed under shore excursions in the cruise planner. 

• Thanks 1