Haven Gratuities

30 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Didn't some one say that failure to do so would be a violation of US accounting standards as required for SEC filings?

someone may have said that and it might be true, if the ships were registered in the USA. '

NCL has only one ship that is registered in the USA.

and i can't see any SEC requirement applying to a holding company that itself is registered in bermuda and that owns three subsidiaries that use ships also registered outside of the USA.

but, hey, maybe that's just me. i'm funny that way.

31 minutes ago, julig22 said:

I've been told otherwise, that they do pool their tips.

i've also been told that cash tips are pooled among staff shift workers.

1 minute ago, UKstages said:

someone may have said that and it might be true, if the ships were registered in the USA. '

NCL has only one ship that is registered in the USA.

and i can't see any SEC requirement applying to a holding company that itself is registered in bermuda and that owns three subsidiaries that use ships also registered outside of the USA.

Where the ships are registered is irrelevant.

NCL is a publicly traded company on the NYSE.  Consequently SEC requirements to apply. 

FWIW, NCL is also based in the US.

5 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

NCL is a publicly traded company on the NYSE.  Consequently SEC requirements to apply. 

NCL is incorporated in Bermuda. The headquarters are in Miami. 

And citing NYSE/SEC rules is dubious at best, because the same could be said for Alibaba, 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

NCL is incorporated in Bermuda. The headquarters are in Miami. 

And citing NYSE/SEC rules is dubious at best, because the same could be said for Alibaba, 

There is a distinct difference between Alibaba, incorporated in China, and NCL incorporated in Bermuda.

2 minutes ago, Distinctive-Destinations said:

And what would that be? They’re both on the NYSE, getting back to your point.

I can't help  you if you can't see the difference between a Chinese company and NCL.

3 hours ago, havoc315 said:

I don’t know precisely.  But ballpark earnings are on Glassdoor and elsewhere. Yes, I do feel I can be very confident in stating the bartenders are not earning $3,000-$5,000+ per week.  

How much of that is in actual compensation and how much comes from tips. 

In may part of the good 'ole USA, a tipped worker can be paid as little as $5/hour (minimum wage is $15/hour) and the first $10/hour in tips goes to getting them up to minimum wage. 

Similarly, tipped crew members get money from the cruise line for part of their contract value (that you boldly show above). And part comes from gratuities to get them to their minimum contract value. Only if they reach their minimum contract value do they actually start "making money". 

20 hours ago, havoc315 said:

Yes, you do have that assurance on shore based restaurants where there are actual labor laws in place. 

At sea… calling it a “service charge”, they can do anything they want with the money. 

THIS!!!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dbrown84 said:

THIS!!!

19 hours ago, havoc315 said:

I think I was pretty clear in admitting that I have no idea.  Point being, we have no idea to what extent the service charge is actually shared as a “gratuity.”

The point is that it is not. While some is a gratuity, a lot goes to crew enrichment. A free beer at the crew party, a new bicycle for use in port, a specialty dinner as a reward for good hero cards. And some is to get crew compensation up to minimum contract values,,, just like in most states in the US. 

Edited by BirdTravels

24 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The point is that it is not. While some is a gratuity, a lot goes to crew enrichment. A free beer at the crew party, a new bicycle for use in port, a specialty dinner as a reward for good hero cards. And some is to get crew compensation up to minimum contract values,,, just like in most states in the US. 

not sure why I'm quoted on this.  it has nothing to do with me or my post

17 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

No....NCL is not a publicly traded company on the NYSE. NCL is wholly owned by NCLH Ltd.

BTW...NCL itself is nothing but another holding company...each and every ship is incorporated as its own individual company.

• Like 1