Iona strange tracking

Bin man

Posted (edited)

It could mean a few things.   So for instance if a helicopter is over her (maybe) and she has to take a certain course, then she is restricted in her ability to manoevre.  It warns other ships.

Also, if it was a helicopter evacuation then the ship would have to steam into wind for the chopper.  I'm guessing here, but have seen this before.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

Would she be just wasting time to arrive in Southampton on time ? We have some relations onboard everything had tracked ok over the 14 nights strange going ons  

Posted (edited)

She is now underway and not "restricted" and turning for SOU.  My guess is a helicopter.  She will make her way into the shipping lane.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

Almost always medivacs by helo ship steams into wind speed determined by sea conditions and helo usually but not alway 8-10knots speed although I have experienced it at 16k in extreme circumstances.

49 minutes ago, Bin man said:

You was correct just looked on my aircraft tracking rescue helicopter tracked out to her 

Yep thought so.  We used to sail our own boat and I am also a Watchkeeper for National Coastwatch, so usually know these things.

• Like 4

I was on the sailing.  Yes a passenger was taken ill and was taken off by helicopter.  Before the incident we had been sailing at I think 16knots approx.  After we increased to 21 knots.

Thoughts, prayers and best wished to the passenger, family and friends.

• Like 4

Also on that cruise. Yes a medical evacuation by helicopter

in answer to Bin Man - We found the cruise most enjoyable. Some hesitancy before boarding following various reports. We were quite taken by all the ship had to offer. Have sailed on all of P&O existing fleet except Iona and Arvia. Now more than willing to sail on all ships in the fleet

• Like 1

Bin Man - Yes thank you. Bit wary with some of the reviews but no doubt far more happy cruisers that had not reviewed.  Easy to get lots of steps in with a ship that size!