Prescription medication form for Japan

globalgertie

I've heard from other travelers that they were never asked about medications even after they filled out the import forms. I've also heard that it can be a nightmare if you don't obtain the permission ahead of arrival. I recently had to complete the medicine import forms even though I will only be transitioning for four days. My issue was that I would be bringing in excess of thirty days supply because of B2B2B cruises leaving from Japan. I needed a letter from my MD listing all of my Rx, with the dosages. You then have to make certain none of your meds are on the banned list, plus you need to list ingredients and manufacture information. It was very frustrating, and had to be resubmitted several times before it was approved. Now that I have the approval letters I probably will never be asked for them during the customs clearance procedure. I still felt better about having jumped through the hoops before I arrived. No one likes a nasty surprise after a 20 hour travel day 😁

I hope you don't have any headaches with the forms, or your trip.

Best wishes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a few related issues.  We have gone through the trouble of getting the necessary Japanese approval for our meds (in a sense it is akin to an import permit).  It is a royal pain to fill out the forms, but they can now be submitted via e-mail and will generally get approved within a few days.  So, when we entered Japan last March (with a 90 day supply of our meds) we did have the required (by law) approval.

However, on our trips to Japan (over many years) nobody has ever asked to see the med approval.  In fact, nobody at Japan customs has even asked about our drugs.  That being said, Japan is a country that takes their laws very serious and there is no telling on how much hassle you could go through if you get caught violating their drug import rules.  

One other issue which we think is very important.  Japan also has very strict regulations on what drugs can and cannot be brought into their country.  So, for example, just traveling with non-prescription Sudafed could get you into very hot water.  And do not even think about bringing in controlled substances (i.e. narcotics).  Even NyQuil is banned in Japan.

I guess the simple answer to the OPs question is that old saying, "are you feeling lucky today?"

Hank

• Like 1