Paid $134 for a New Zealand Visa

oskidunker

NZeTA application - request an NZeTA | Immigration New Zealand

NZD $17 on the free App or NZD $23 if completed online.

I'm sorry this happened to you.  I got caught in a third-party website for a hotel booking even though I know to be careful because they are so sneaky on how they name their sites.  It only cost me $15 for the "booking" fee but I was so mad...at myself and them!

~Nancy

From travel.state.gov:

New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA):

• U.S. citizens traveling to or transiting through New Zealand under the visa waiver program are required to have an NZeTA. This is also true for cruise ship passengers. It can take up to 72 hours to process an NZeTA so apply well in advance of your trip. The NZeTA is valid for multiple visits for up to two years.
  • If your NZeTA application is denied, you will need to apply for a visa. Visit the Embassy of New Zealand website for the most current visa information.
  •  

International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL):

• U.S. citizens traveling to New Zealand for tourism, certain student programs, and short-term business trips are required to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL). This levy is assessed when a person applies for an NZeTA or New Zealand visa. The IVL is not required of passengers that are transiting New Zealand on a transit visa or transit ETA.

There is a difference between a NZe TAand a visa. I took the test to see if I could use a NZe TA. I failed the test. Were I going to NZ at this time, I would need to apply for a visa  (or to take the test again, taking care that I understand what I'm being asked).

55 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Does that sound right? I hope I did not use a third party site. The Australian visa was only $20. 

Each country sets its own rules and fees for visas. Whether you need a visa at all depends on the passport you carry. The fees you pay also depend on the passport you carry. 

Note also that what you paid may also include the IVL mentioned on travel.state.gov

If you have questions about the visa, you really should ask the New Zealand Consular office in Los Angeles; they may even have a website. They know a lot more about their visas than most of us here -- and not having the right paperwork can cost you your whole trip.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 4:42 PM, oskidunker said:

Does that sound right? I hope I did not use a third party site. The Australian visa was only $20. 

Sounds like yor inadvertently used a visa broker.  The evisa is NZD $17 or NZD $23, depending on whether you use their app or do it online, but there is an addtional charge of NZD $35 tourist fee tacked on when you check out.  At least that was true when we got ours for our January cruise.

https://nzeta.immigration.govt.nz/

Edited by 1985rz1

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 4:42 PM, oskidunker said:

Hmmm.  I noticed that a standard visitor visa (not an eVisa) is NZD $211 which is pretty close to the $134 you quoted if you quoted US $.  Could that be what you applied for?

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-zealand-visas/visas/visa/visitor-visa

Edited by 1985rz1