Key card for two cabins

Haven't cruised in seven years.  Kids are bigger now so we decided to book two cabins.  Wife doesn't drink and didn't want to pay the gratuities for a bar package she wouldn't get much use out of.  Teenage son doesn't drink much soda and doesn't want the soda package either.

So for booking purposes, I booked my daugher and I into one cabin and took the bar/soda package for the two of us.  Wife and son are booked in the second cabin and did not take the bar/soda package.

For sleeping purposes, my wife wants our daughter in her room.  Our cabins are not right next to each other.  Hers is a balcony.  Mine is an inside and because of the layout, I have to go down a little corridor.

This is our first time ever cruising with two cabins, so I have questions:

1) If I go to guest services on Day One and have them key my daughter's card to my wife's room and my son's card to my room, will my daughter lose her soda package?

2)  Can I have them key our cards so they open both cabins?

3)  If no to 2), can I get duplicate cards that will unlock the cabins (but not have charging abilities, in case they are concerned about unauthorized charges or duplicate use of my bar package).

Thank you!

Whatever you do, make sure you pay the small gratuity for the FAS specialty meals on both cabins. Otherwise, the other cabin will not get the specialty meals, and your daughter will not be able to give hers to your wife.

38 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Before this thread reaches DEFCON 1, option #3 is what you are looking for. 

Thanks for the quick answer!  We will ask for duplicate cards.  And sorry, it appears this topic might be sensitive, not sure why?

32 minutes ago, IAcruising said:

Whatever you do, make sure you pay the small gratuity for the FAS specialty meals on both cabins. Otherwise, the other cabin will not get the specialty meals, and your daughter will not be able to give hers to your wife.

Yes, we did so.  The balcony cabin gets two meals each and the inside gets one each.

12 minutes ago, blackwing said:

Thanks for the quick answer!  We will ask for duplicate cards.  And sorry, it appears this topic might be sensitive, not sure why?

The "sensitivity" has been deleted by mods.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, n4w said:

The "sensitivity" has been deleted by mods.

Ah, I understand now.  No worries here... wife and daughter will be in balcony room.  Son and I will be in inside room.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, blackwing said:

It's not a sensitive topic, you are fine.  We had a similar thread a week ago where a parent did the opposite of you.  Basically wanted to skirt the rules and get a cabin for herself/daughter, and another for husband.  Then just put daughter by herself in the room.

You aren't doing that.  You're splitting parental duties, which is how it should be done.

Definitely get duplicate keys.  Done and done.  

Edited by LongIsland-Cruiser
  • Like 2

there is zero sensitivity or controversy to this topic... none.

some overzealous folks may be confusing the OP's clearly stated question and intent for the subterfuge and misdirection expressed by a poster in another thread.

• Like 1