Wine questions

Bfson

Posted (edited)

We have the Holland America credit card through Barclays bank. I have two questions:

1. if we use the points to buy the Holland America wine  card it seems to imply it’s not good in the main dining room. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?
2. One of the ways to use the points we have accumulated is what is supposed to be a Silverado Cabernet. But the photograph is of an opus one. Does anyone know which Wine we will get?

Edited by Bfson
Typo

27 minutes ago, Bfson said:

1. if we use the points to buy the Holland America wine  card it seems to imply it’s not good in the main dining room. Does anyone have any experience with this issue?

Do you mean a Sommelier Suite? Those wines are specifically intended for MDR, Lido, or your cabin use. I can't find the verbage regarding "not for drinking in lounges or bars", but you can obviously carry a glass from your stateroom to any venue and not be stopped.

I don't know about the wine in your second question, but I would trust the description before the photo. However, the fine print probably says they can substitute... 

• Like 1

Generally when you BUY wine onboard, it can be used in the dining room and they will store it for you as well (or you can take it to your cabin.)

Sounds like it's a specific bottle that applies to the reward as Silverado is not in the usual Cellar Packages so it could be onboard single purchase. However HAL does run out of specific wines at times and there is probably a disclaimer that substitutions can be made. I wouldn't count on HAL having a specific wine. It's more of a chance to hope it works out. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The language which left me confused, is as follows:

“The Holland America Line $50 Beverage Credit allows you to enjoy our finest wines and signature cocktails along any other of your favorite drinks in our beautiful bars and lounges. Redemption appears as stateroom credit on your onboard account.”

Since it doesn’t mention the main dining room, I was concerned

Edited by Bfson
Typo

5 minutes ago, Bfson said:

The language which left me confused, is as follows:

“The Holland America Line $50 Beverage Credit allows you to enjoy our finest wines and signature cocktails along any other of your favorite drinks in our beautiful bars and lounges. Redemption appears as stateroom credit on your onboard account.”

Since it doesn’t mention the main dining room, I was concerned

This appears to be a drink credit or onboard credit. Your statement will show a beginning credit that charges will be applied (deducted) as you order. Keep in mind that charges will add 18% gratuity to the cost of the drink. Even if you order in dining room, the charge on your statement will be deducted from that credit. So it appears to be a wash. You can also order at the bar and bring to dinner, but it shows on your statement the same way. 

2 hours ago, Bfson said:

OIC! Not a Wine Card but a Beverage Card. You will have no problem using this in the MDR or anywhere where you are asked for your room-key (card) to charge a beverage.

I (obviously?) do not have the Barclays credit card! 

If you can get either Silverado cab or Opus One for a $50 credit, take the latter first. It retails for around $450. The Silverado sells for around $50. Given the normal cruise ship or restaurant mark up, the Silverado is a deal. The Opus is a steal.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We've had a HAL Barclay Card for years and we've stopped using it and we are trying to use up our rewards and it is very difficult.

For us, the items for redemption are not really available when we try to redeem....For instance, we attempt to buy a 7 day spa pass but it does not work on a 14 day cruise....and you do not know that until the requested redemption never arrives.  Yes, it is in the fine print.

My advice is to attempt to call the rewards number and get them to explain it to you....and answer your questions...although we find they are not very familiar with the HAL items.

My other piece of advice is to just use the card towards HAL charges.  That's easy to redeem when the charge hits w/a click online. 

We are ditching the card because of the above as well as the redemption rate.....It's not that great for HAL purchases and our other cards have higher cash back.

I wish HAL would roll out a credit card that really gives value....we'd be all over it!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, POA1 said:

If you can get either Silverado cab or Opus One for a $50 credit, take the latter first. It retails for around $450. The Silverado sells for around $50. Given the normal cruise ship or restaurant mark up, the Silverado is a deal. The Opus is a steal.

You can use a $50 drink card to buy any bottle you wish (even Petrus if that is what you want).  All you need to do is pay the wine list price less your $50 credit !

Edited by taxmantoo