Price/Sales Question

DH and I are seriously considering a 2025 14 night Med cruise.  The pricing seems fine right now but I’ve never sailed Cunard before, nor watched pricing/incentives.  We are going with Balcony (non obstructed) and not the club Britannia option due to budget (flights alone will be almost as much as the cruise.) I’m guessing some of you know the ins/ours on best time to book/promotions/etc.  I do not use a TA simply because outside of big box stores I don’t have one as I always book trips on my own so I have no level of trust with anyone.

33 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

DH and I are seriously considering a 2025 14 night Med cruise.  The pricing seems fine right now but I’ve never sailed Cunard before, nor watched pricing/incentives.  We are going with Balcony (non obstructed) and not the club Britannia option due to budget (flights alone will be almost as much as the cruise.) I’m guessing some of you know the ins/ours on best time to book/promotions/etc.  I do not use a TA simply because outside of big box stores I don’t have one as I always book trips on my own so I have no level of trust with anyone.

How awful not to trust anyone.

The last two Med. cruises I have gone on from Soton, one before, one after, Covid, both went up considerably in price for my grade of cabin, and I think most others. I don’t think those that start in the Med. rise in the same way. So, it might depend where you are intending to embark.

At the end of the day there is no way of knowing when the best price/offer will be - if there was then I would be a millionaire by now instead of a pauper!

You just have to make a decision that the price on offer on a given day is the one that you are prepared to pay and once booked don't look at prices again.

You don't say where you are from but if you are from the USA then there are different rules about price drops than there are in the UK

• Like 1

In the US, you can “refinance” your cruise before the final payment date. Since you’re taking an expensive flight, it sounds like you’re in the US. I booked directly this time and took advantage of two price drops. You have to randomly look at the prices online and call in to make price changes. Ask them to keep your original booking number. 

In the US I usually find the best cruise rate best as soon as published .

Cuinard always has a Sale going on , mostly adding OBC or upgrades .

Should I find something better before Final ,I can cancel , rebook and move my deposit .

I always use a TA as they are permitted to discount Cunard rates and Groups which may add OBC , and other amenities.

I always compare booking Direct and via my TA . TA always wins out as the best deal 100% of the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, MCC retired said:

In the US I usually find the best cruise rate best as soon as published .

Cuinard always has a Sale going on , mostly adding OBC or upgrades .

Should I find something better before Final ,I can cancel , rebook and move my deposit .

I always use a TA as they are permitted to discount Cunard rates and Groups which may add OBC , and other amenities.

I always compare booking Direct and via my TA . TA always wins out as the best deal 100% of the time.

Makes sense but I don’t have a relationship with one so I’d be randomly picking.  That makes me uneasy so I guess I pay more. 😂

3 minutes ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

Makes sense but I don’t have a relationship with one so I’d be randomly picking.  That makes me uneasy so I guess I pay more. 😂

You can't have a relationship with a TA until you start one.

Ask frequent cruisers that you know for recommendations.

Keep in mind that most cruise lines prohibit TA's in the US from advertising their best rates so you must make contact .

If it’s a fly cruise also check out if it’s available as 2 separate week cruises. This can sometimes be cheaper or work out better with more on board spend. I’ve got a 3 week cruise later this year booked as 3 cruises but all in the same cabin. A TA can help with this😉

1 hour ago, cruisetonowhere10 said:

If you need or want to find a good travel agent, I would suggest that you contact a few.

Start by phoning them and having a discussion about your future needs rather than something you want to book at that time. Make sure that you are always going to be dealing with the same person, although it might be reassuring to know that they have some sort of backup if they were to take ill or not be available for some other reason. Decide from initial calls if you like them, at least from the point of being comfortable talking to them. If you don't like them look elsewhere.

Ideally you want to know that if you send them an email, SMS, WhatsApp or Messenger message that it is answered within a few hours. If you call and get an answering machine, that might not be a bad sign. It could mean they have plenty of business, which you would expect from a good agent. Leave a message and then judge them on how quickly they respond to your message.

By coincidence I'd left a message for our agent having found their site online and was talking to a frequent cruising friend in Scotland when they called back, just as the friend was recommending that agent as the best they'd ever encountered.

But I doubt you'll find one by making online bookings through an agent then hoping they'll be proactive if anything goes wrong or needs changed. If you're not going to do some work to identify a good agent you are as well sticking to direct bookings.

• Thanks 1