Japan Intensive on the Journey

debcip

14 hours ago, Rabo said:

We just did the B2B Perth/Hong Kong/Tokyo cruise, and had booked excursions onboard during our October 2022 cruise.

I assume you meant oct 2023 above?  Or were excursions really open 18 months ahead?

On 3/30/2024 at 3:57 AM, djasinsk said:

I am doing this cruise in 2025.  When did they open up excursions for this years cruise?

Our cruise began 19-Mar-2024. Excursions became available on line sometime in the fall of 2023. We booked them in November. It may have been later for this cruise because Japan opened up to tourism fairly late after COVID. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Takamatsu

This was a half-day port. We cruised through the “Inland Sea” in the morning and all excursions were in the afternoon. 
Takamatsu has a very nice port area. There is a long pier along which one can walk, and it’s an easy walk into town. 

Excursion:  Bonsai and Ritsuren Garden

This was a restful afternoon after a number of heavy touring days. In addition, it was the first day of truly good weather, with sun and temps in the 60s. Ritsurin Garden is a beautiful garden largely populated with pine trees, most of which are curated and shaped.  There are cherry blossoms but unfortunately only a few were bloomed while we were there. This is a very nice garden but not what I would term spectacular 

We then attended a tea ceremony at the garden which was lovely (most folks sat at a table but the last ones in had to sit on the floor so note this if you can’t get up or down!)—shoes had to come off for this piece. 
we then went to a large bonsai nursery where the 5th generation grows and cares for hundreds of bonsai trees—there are a few >100 years old!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Kobe

Although this is a busy port and city, many people use this port as a way to see sights in Kyoto, Osaka or Nara. There is a shuttle bus into town, a great shopping area and a lot of street food, particularly in Chinatown. Of course there are Kobe beef restaurants, and Kobe beef takeaway in Chinatown. 

We did the 10+ hour Arashiyama, Golden Pavillion and Fushimi Imari Shrine excursion. This took us some of to the most popular sights in Japan—The Bamboo Forest, Golden Pavillion, and 10,000 red Torii gates. We were very glad to see all of these things; however, it is a bit of a trying experience. They are all extremely crowded, and it’s difficult to stop, look and appreciate it—felt very much like being on a conveyor belt. Get a quick glimpse, and a picture, without ever really stopping. The second half of the bamboo forest is quieter, and ends with a walk along the river, so that piece was more meditative. The large group was pretty unwieldy although the tour guide did a great job keeping us together. Some folks opted to do these sites on a private tour, and in retrospect I think that would have been the way to go with this one.  They were able to have enough time to see 2 more sites.  Others took the bullet train into Kyoto and got around on their own.   This is a very long day as Kyoto is 1.75 hours from Kobe and the traffic is terrible—we arrived back 20 minutes after our scheduled time. So all in all, I’m glad we did it, but I spent a lot of time reminding myself to appreciate it! 

Edited by debcip
  • Like 2

Additional note on Kobe:

The cruise ship dock was separated from the terminal exit by the on-ramps to a bridge and a commuter train. This resulted in a long and circuitous route from deck 5 on the ship, across to and underground in the terminal building and finally emerging to where the buses were waiting.  It’s a 1/4 to 1/3 mile walk, without exaggeration. Be prepared!

Shimizu

Tje excursion this day was dedicated to viewing Mt Fuji from multiple different vantage points. 

First was a stop at Shiraito waterfall.  This is a beautiful site which can be seen from above or more closely by descending about 100 steps (these are regular and have railings).  We climbed back out the same way—not sure if there is a gentler way without steps.  

We proceeded to the Fuji-San Shinto shrine, where even better views of Mt Fuji are seen 

Finally we went to a town along the Pacific Ocean, and walked through a pine grove along a boardwalk, where the ancients used to walk as a little pilgrimage.  This walk is approximately a half mile.  It ends with a fantastic view of Mt Fuji from the beach! 

• Like 1

Watch news in UK and with friends in Japanese land tour I am concerned about the recent earthquake in the region. I understand the tsunami realest has been lifted. Hope all.on board safe and well. 

21 hours ago, uktog said:

Thanks and thanks for all your great updates safe travels 

Thanks for the positive response and feedback! Wishing you a wonderful cruise!  It was a once-in-a-lifetime one for us! 

• Like 2

I know everyone’s cruise has begun but I went to Catholic school and I can’t leave a task undone—there’s one more thing to add regarding our last day in Tokyo. 

We had spent 3 days in Tokyo pre-cruise but did not do a lot of the typical “touristy” things. So on the last day, we did the Tokyo Highlights and Teppanyaki ship tour. This took us to the Meiji-Jingu shrine, for a walk around the Imperial Palace grounds,  to the Aksakusa Temple, and to the shopping area of Nakamise Dori. There was teppanyaki lunch at a very nice steakhouse. 
in all honesty the day was slightly disappointing. I think we had seen a few too many shrines and temples, and there was not too much to see at the palace grounds at the moment since nothing was in bloom. The area around the temple and on Nakamise Dori was unpleasantly crowded—I was hoping to do a bit of shopping but it was all one could do to get down the street!  The lunch was excellent, however!
None of this was an issue with the ship or the tour guide—it was just the wrong thing for us on the last day. In retrospect, I would have opted to stay on board in the morning and get my packing underway, have lunch somewhere perhaps in the ship vicinity (there are apparently some decent restaurants in that part of town), and might have taken an independent tour of some sort at night; these are available on line. 

That’s it for me!  Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of anyone currently on board for the second round of Japan!

—Debbie

• Like 4

We too were at the shrine precruise yesterday and it was madness not helped by a less than ideal guide. So hoping for a little more calm on the upcoming ports! 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, uktog said:

We too were at the shrine precruise yesterday and it was madness not helped by a less than ideal guide. So hoping for a little more calm on the upcoming ports! 

@uktog are you doing a Live report from your cruise?  
Maybe you can add some comments about how things are on Journey?

I would love to hear your impressions, if you have any time.

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I was on this sailing, as well.  Well done, Azamara Journey!!  We were welcomed by the locals in every port ( except Hiroshima) with music and dance, and colorful local garb on the locals.  They were all so kind  and helpful.  The shore excursions were all good , with some guides being great and a few others not so great and struggling a bit with English words.  I took the ship shuttle into a few port cities and had great experiences.  In Hiroshima I got off the shuttle and a local volunteer guide approached me and took me around for two hours to the Castle, grocery story  and Peace Park, giving me her family history of the aftermath of the WWII devestation.  I had booked the shore excursions prior to sailing and the prices went up allot by the time we sailed.

I also did back to back sailing  , having embarked in Hong Kong .  We sailed north to the southern Japanese islands,  ( Ishigaki, Kagoshima, Okinawa, Kochi, and Osaka which were all wonderful; more so than I had expected.

Richard the HD and Stephen CD did a wonderful job of bringing on local talent and food daily.

This was a fairly exhausting cruise as we only had one sea day first day.  I walked 5-10 miles daily .Often up slopes and high, ancient steps. The Japanese Ambassador, Tomoko, was very helpful with local information and I even bought an Haori ( Japanese robe) from a consignment vendor at the Amori port, on her suggestion to visit this  place, walkable from the ship.It was only 1000 yen, which is about 6 USD.

Wonderful sailings!

• Like 9

@tango9 I agree about the local entertainment, locally provided marvelous sail-away entertainment, and the availability of Tomoko and the local ambassadors at the ports ( wish I had asked about the Haori!!!). 
Azamara really did a wonderful job with this one!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, debcip said:

@tango9 I agree about the local entertainment, locally provided marvelous sail-away entertainment, and the availability of Tomoko and the local ambassadors at the ports ( wish I had asked about the Haori!!!). 
Azamara really did a wonderful job with this one!

And they continue to! 

• Like 3

On 4/3/2024 at 12:25 AM, debcip said:

Additional note on Kobe:

The cruise ship dock was separated from the terminal exit by the on-ramps to a bridge and a commuter train. This resulted in a long and circuitous route from deck 5 on the ship, across to and underground in the terminal building and finally emerging to where the buses were waiting.  It’s a 1/4 to 1/3 mile walk, without exaggeration. Be prepared!

Captain told me he’d be requesting to secure a closer dock on the current cruise for Kobe. We were also there in 2012 and had the dock that was more convenient.