TA SBC and Excursions

soccermom4

First time Oceania (possibly) cruiser - the TA I plan to use pays gratuities and gives SBC.  I heard that booking excursions in advance to use SM excursion credit is important - and that a certain number booked can give you a discount.  We're looking at 18 nights to SA and Antarctica.  If I book excursions in advance and go over the SM limit, can TA SBC be used?  I know on HAL, TA SBC doesn't show up until you are actually on board.  Therefore, people pay for excursions with a credit card and then have the Shore Excursions desk switch it to SBC when they arrive on board, in order to use it up.

Is that how it works on Oceania?

No. The payment for the excursions will remain on your credit cards. If the tour is cancelled on board, it will be credited to your onboard account. Your TA should be providing refundable OBC. Any such funds remaining in your account at cruise end, will be returned to you, typically in cash (US$).

Hmmm - in the past, our TA OBC has been non-refundable.  I guess we could chance it, and wait to book some shore excursions when we get aboard.  Not sure how else I would spend $1000 onboard with all that is included on Oceania.  Has anyone ever tried to get excursions converted to OBC after they have been paid for?

3 minutes ago, soccermom4 said:

Hmmm - in the past, our TA OBC has been non-refundable.  I guess we could chance it, and wait to book some shore excursions when we get aboard.  Not sure how else I would spend $1000 onboard with all that is included on Oceania.  Has anyone ever tried to get excursions converted to OBC after they have been paid for?

If it was non refundable, it most likely was coming from your TA.  It came from Oceania or if your TA is part of a travel consortium.  The TA we us always gives refundable.

Posted (edited)

I will check. Haven’t booked yet but they are one of the big cruise agencies that I’m not allowed to name and I believe their X% back on cruise fare is non-refundable. In the past, never a problem to spend it because not the inclusions that Oceania SM gives..thus my question about swapping and applying it to excursions once on board ship. 

Edited by soccermom4

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

If it was non refundable, it most likely was coming from your TA.  It came from Oceania or if your TA is part of a travel consortium.  The TA we us always gives refundable.

Shouldn't that say "wasn't"?

• Like 2