Cancel 4th Passenger or Add Later?

mrecc

Hello! I am planning to book a room for four, but there is a chance my daughter may not join us. Is it better to book for four now and remove her if she can’t come or book for three and add her later? Assuming this is even allowed. Thanks for any advice or insight based on your experiences!

From my understanding (could be wrong) any change to the reservation requires re-booking, therefore when the decision is made who is going and a change is needed you would have to re-book at whatever the going rate is.  So, its really a financial decision on your part.  If you book the cabin for four and only three show up, no biggie and you get taxes and port fees refunded for the "no show"   If you think its a good deal now for four book four.  If you want to play the cruise price lottery then wait until the decision has been made.

• Like 1

Book your daughter now and then have her be a 'no show' if she can't make it.

Adding a 4th person at a later date will be subject to muster station capacity - even if the cabin accommodates a 4th person.  If the muster station is already full, you may not be able to add her.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, janabellev2.0 said:

Adding a 4th person at a later date will be subject to muster station capacity - even if the cabin accommodates a 4th person.  If the muster station is already full, you may not be able to add her.

There is another consideration and that is that the stateroom you book originally for the three passengers is also one that is configured for a fourth. If not the fourth person cannot be added. That just needs to be confirmed with the booking.

I agree to book the fourth person now and remove her later if she cannot go.  My understanding is this can be done up to 72 hours prior to sailing. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, mrecc said:

Hello! I am planning to book a room for four, but there is a chance my daughter may not join us. Is it better to book for four now and remove her if she can’t come or book for three and add her later? Assuming this is even allowed. Thanks for any advice or insight based on your experiences!

If your daughter will know whether she will be able to make it or not before the final payment deadline, then I prefer booking four and cancelling the 4th before final payment if the 4th can't make it:

1. cancelling the 4th does not change the price for the other 3.

2. you also have the option of substituting another name for the 4th person if that option is appealing.

3. if you book a non-refundable fare, then you will lose the deposit for cancelling the 4th person (before final payment is made).  You could book the cabin under the refundable rate which makes cancelling with no penalty but the cruise rate for all 4 of you will be much more expensive.

If your daughter doesn't know if she will be able to go on the cruise until after final payment, then it depends on how much her fare costs.  If you add her and she doesn't make it, you end up losing her cruise fare (although you can make a substitution).  I have booked cruises with our two adult kids (four of us) knowing that I may risk them bailing out after final payment and thus losing their fare(s).. 

• Like 2