Last Minute Bookings .... One bad issue

raphael360

I just booked a 4-day cruise on Scarlett 37 days out, aka, last minute, because it was going to be the lowest-priced cruise available for 2024.  And I wanted to bag the $300 bonus bar tab before it expired.

The 2 problems I discovered are:

1.  The bonus bar tab promotion no longer applies or extends to inside cabins as it did on my last 6 sailings.  No biggie, I don't drink.

2.  There were almost zero dinner reservations available for any of the restaurants left by the time I was able to check on the app.  I was only able to book the Wake for 8 am on the day of disembarkation but that's it.  I know, I know... there will be Tons of availability once I board (I hope).  Again, no biggie, as I'm happy to eat all of my meals in the Galley. It is what it is... 🙂

• Like 2

2 hours ago, raphael360 said:

I just booked a 4-day cruise on Scarlett 37 days out, aka, last minute, because it was going to be the lowest-priced cruise available for 2024.  And I wanted to bag the $300 bonus bar tab before it expired.

The 2 problems I discovered are:

1.  The bonus bar tab promotion no longer applies or extends to inside cabins as it did on my last 6 sailings.  No biggie, I don't drink.

2.  There were almost zero dinner reservations available for any of the restaurants left by the time I was able to check on the app.  I was only able to book the Wake for 8 am on the day of disembarkation but that's it.  I know, I know... there will be Tons of availability once I board (I hope).  Again, no biggie, as I'm happy to eat all of my meals in the Galley. It is what it is... 🙂

Why did you want to bag the $300 bonus bar tab if you don't drink?

27 minutes ago, Sherry84 said:

I was wondering the same thing.

Perhaps the OP is travelling with someone who *does* drink and was hoping to snag that deal not for himself, but for his companion. But it still seemed odd to me.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Maybe to pay for the overpriced juices, or coffees/teas?

I don't know about the prices for the fresh squeezed juices but the specialty coffee prices are definitely in line with what I pay at my local coffee shops. Actually they are a bit cheaper and a lot better.

• Like 1

I don't think it's weird at all.  Virgin even recognizes that not everyone drinks alcohol and promotes their mocktails - https://www.virginvoyages.com/ahoy/stories/non-alcoholic-drinks-for-sober-cruises

I don't see mocktails listed as part of the free beverages under the FAQ's so wouldn't you use your bar tab to pay for them?  Not to mention specialty coffees.

6 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Mocktails,  coffees, specialty tea, smoothies/shakes, "boxed juices" (they call them cold pressed, but they come out of boxes!), sharing with others.....I certainly wouldn't go thru $300 personally, but I'd use some.  And I don't know why it is relevant that specialty coffees are in line with local coffee shops.  That is true, but if I can get them on a complimentary bar tab on board, why pay for them? (except to avoid the room service fee).

1 minute ago, cantgetin said:

Mocktails,  coffees, specialty tea, smoothies/shakes, "boxed juices" (they call them cold pressed, but they come out of boxes!), sharing with others.....I certainly wouldn't go thru $300 personally, but I'd use some.  And I don't know why it is relevant that specialty coffees are in line with local coffee shops.  That is true, but if I can get them on a complimentary bar tab on board, why pay for them? (except to avoid the room service fee).

Understood, but I suppose when someone tells me he had a $300 bar tab, my first thought isn't "oh, he must mean mocktails and coffee." 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

2 reasons: 

First, so I can bring home some bottles of wine for the family at home, all of whom still drink, and, second, so I can buy my new best friends onboard drinks.

Finally, why not?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, garycarla said:

For the vast  majority  of us that booked a year out - the dinner reservation is exactly the same.

Dinner reservations only open up for the vast majority of us 90 days out.  But with that said, I'll never book a last-minute cruise on VV again.

11 hours ago, raphael360 said:

2 reasons: 

First, so I can bring home some bottles of wine for the family at home, all of whom still drink, and, second, so I can buy my new best friends onboard drinks.

Finally, why not?

It just seemed strange. It reminded me a bit of an ad I once saw for Zipcar: "Cars for people who don't want one." 🤣

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

It just seemed strange. It reminded me a bit of an ad I once saw for Zipcar: "Cars for people who don't want one." 🤣

Sorry to disappoint

23 hours ago, Wildcatllamas said:

I don't know about the prices for the fresh squeezed juices but the specialty coffee prices are definitely in line with what I pay at my local coffee shops. Actually they are a bit cheaper and a lot better.

Yes, coffee and alcoholic drinks are reasonable. As said, it's just the juices/non-alcoholic drinks  which are ridiculously overpriced.

22 hours ago, raphael360 said:

Dinner reservations only open up for the vast majority of us 90 days out.  But with that said, I'll never book a last-minute cruise on VV again.

60 days for Rockstars.  45 Days for Sailors.  Since you've sailed on VV previously you should have known that your dining options were going to be slim to nil via the app booking 37 days out.  All dining reservations are generally gone the day after the 45 day mark. It's great to score the 'best price available' 37 days out, but you know that booking that late on any cruise line will leave you limited options when it comes to reservations. That comes with the territory.

• Like 4