Coughing

hutch1994

19 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Unfortunately, most of the tables for 2 are side by side with just barely enough room to get between them.

Yeah... many people don't like sharing tables on River ships, but you are right about the tables for two in The Restaurant and even the row of tables for 2 or 4 in the World Cafe - you are so close, that you might as well be sitting with the other people.

• Like 2

On 4/1/2024 at 4:59 AM, CDNPolar said:

This is how Norovirus spreads.  Folks think that hand sanitizer is good enough, but if you do your research you will find that hand sanitizer does not kill the Norovirus, only hand washing does.

I also have been amazed at the large large number of men (I've witnessed it!) who don't wash their hands after being in the bathroom (next to the World Cafe) and then just walk in and start grabbing the serving tongs....     

We made a habbit of getting our food at World Cafe back to the table and then going and washing our hands again.  Rinse and repeat everytime we went up for more food.    You aren't going to stop the large amount of ignorant behavior so all you can do is protect yourselves.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

I also have been amazed at the large large number of men (I've witnessed it!) who don't wash their hands after being in the bathroom (next to the World Cafe) and then just walk in and start grabbing the serving tongs....     

We made a habbit of getting our food at World Cafe back to the table and then going and washing our hands again.  Rinse and repeat everytime we went up for more food.    You aren't going to stop the large amount of ignorant behavior so all you can do is protect yourselves.

Exactly.  You might see me using a napkin to hold the tongs when I serve myself and you may also see us go wash hands again, especially with the washing station at the entrance.

You are right - we are never going to change the behaviour of others.  All we can do is protect ourselves.

Although we cannot protect ourselves if Norovirus was transferred to the food from staff, we can protect ourselves from Norovirus transferred from other guests not washing their hands by washing and rewashing our hands.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Exactly.  You might see me using a napkin to hold the tongs when I serve myself and you may also see us go wash hands again, especially with the washing station at the entrance.

You are right - we are never going to change the behaviour of others.  All we can do is protect ourselves.

Although we cannot protect ourselves if Norovirus was transferred to the food from staff, we can protect ourselves from Norovirus transferred from other guests not washing their hands by washing and rewashing our hands.

Now I’m getting paranoid! All good advice.  Perhaps I should consider bringing my own food prep gloves for the buffets.

• Haha 1

My sister sails on Celebrity and has mentioned that some people visiting the buffet do so with disposable gloves! They definitely stand out but maybe not a bad idea. Clear plastic would be the way to go, not surgical blue!

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Now I’m getting paranoid! All good advice.  Perhaps I should consider bringing my own food prep gloves for the buffets.

20 minutes ago, Insanityx4 said:

My sister sails on Celebrity and has mentioned that some people visiting the buffet do so with disposable gloves! They definitely stand out but maybe not a bad idea. Clear plastic would be the way to go, not surgical blue!

At this time in society, I don't care what others think.  I know where the germs come from and if gloves keeps me well when 200+ others are in their cabins sick then so be it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

At this time in society, I don't care what others think.  I know where the germs come from and if gloves keeps me well when 200+ others are in their cabins sick then so be it. 

We definitely think alike!  Have enjoyed your posts.  Hoping we get to travel on the same cruise together sometime in the future!

• Like 1

Two cruises ago, a gentleman sat beside us and I started coughing.  He said I should be isolating.  I should have told him to go and shower off his cologne.  Instead, I had my dh run to the cabin for my inhaler as a gasped and hacked and headed to the washroom.  Our kind waiter moved us & food & drink to another table away from the sickening smell. I don't think the guy even realized the problem.  I now carry the inhaler with me on board. I do have a fear that some day a cologne or perfume will kill me. 

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, 2cruisecats said:

Two cruises ago, a gentleman sat beside us and I started coughing.  He said I should be isolating.  I should have told him to go and shower off his cologne.  Instead, I had my dh run to the cabin for my inhaler as a gasped and hacked and headed to the washroom.  Our kind waiter moved us & food & drink to another table away from the sickening smell. I don't think the guy even realized the problem.  I now carry the inhaler with me on board. I do have a fear that some day a cologne or perfume will kill me. 

I don’t need to use an inhaler but I’m extremely chemically sensitive and get migraines from perfumes/cologne/chlorox/ammonia, etc. I too always move when seated next to someone with strong perfume. I’m glad you have help from your inhaler.

Edited by LindaS272
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

Very true

Never have been in a women's restroom but on every ship I've been on, there are indeed older men above 50 that don't wash their hands after using the bathrooms.

It's also not an issue of the cruise line in question... They all have plenty that don't wash their hands. I'm also not even going to high volume restrooms either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

We definitely think alike!  Have enjoyed your posts.  Hoping we get to travel on the same cruise together sometime in the future!

Likewise!  Let's hope we cross!  October West Indies and November Grand European.  Jump on one of those!

• Like 1