HAL Guy Went Over to Carnival for the Right Itinerary and Actually Really Liked It!!

Just now, jimdee3636 said:

@rodndonna

FYI: The Yacht Club on MSC ships has inside cabins, for considerably less than balconies. (I haven't sailed on MSC but I just checked out the YC pricing on a 7-night cruise out of Miami in November, and YC insides were $1,800 pp less than YC balconies, but with all of the YC perks). So maybe you can splurge while still keeping to a reasonable budget.

Jim

I know - that's how MSC Yacht Club got on the list to start with - lol! (I am pretty "frugal")

Not on all ships apparently, but some do have YC insides cabins and that would be what we will book.

3 hours ago, Bostonjetset said:

Ooooh I am interested to read your comparisons. I’m interested in MSC too. We’ve yet to sail with them but probably will eventually as they are in NYC year round and have super cheap deals so would be great for a cheap getaway. Don’t know I’d risk an expensive trip with them until I’ve tried them first though as I’ve heard so many mixed reviews. My next is with HAL and then our first with Disney next year. 

I tried MSC Meraviglia out of Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Quite pleased and impressed by the ship. I was in YC which was special. Still, I found that I like the ship's design and ambiance, even though the ship is best on warm weather itineraries.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2999977-review-meraviglia-march-2024/#comment-67150398

BTW, there are significant changes in the layout between the Meraviglia (2017) and the Seascape (2022 and better for cold climates) etc. So, consult the deckplan to make sure that the ship is suitable for your itinerary.

IMHO, MSC has crafted a serious value proposition for YC and non-YC pax. So sad, that HAL is in decline.😒

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your experience.....

We are hardcore HAL 4* Mariners who graduated from Carnival 25 years ago.....but we have booked a Carnival repositioning cruise from Singapore to LAX this fall.....The price and itinerary sold us and we think the itinerary will keep the perceptions we have of Carnival (loud party ship w/walmart atmosphere) at bay.....

This review helps confirm our Carnival choice....and we are looking forward to the "fun ship" cruise.....

• Like 4

@Bostonjetset  thank you for your comments.  I, too, am once again going to sail Princess as they have a transatlantic that fits perfectly into my land travel schedule.  HAL is great for their unique itineraries but they certainly aren’t the only quality cruise line out there. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

Thanks for sharing your experience.....

We are hardcore HAL 4* Mariners who graduated from Carnival 25 years ago.....but we have booked a Carnival repositioning cruise from Singapore to LAX this fall.....The price and itinerary sold us and we think the itinerary will keep the perceptions we have of Carnival (loud party ship w/walmart atmosphere) at bay.....

This review helps confirm our Carnival choice....and we are looking forward to the "fun ship" cruise.....

Oh that sounds like a great itinerary. I think the longer and more unusual itineraries should help avoid the stereotypical Carnival atmosphere. I feel even my 8 night cruise helped. 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

@Bostonjetset  thank you for your comments.  I, too, am once again going to sail Princess as they have a transatlantic that fits perfectly into my land travel schedule.  HAL is great for their unique itineraries but they certainly aren’t the only quality cruise line out there. 

I like Princess but haven’t sailed them since Covid. Let us know how it is and how they do transatlantic. I love transatlantics but have only crossed on the QM2 which is a different beast. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HappyInVan said:

IMHO, MSC has crafted a serious value proposition for YC and non-YC pax. 

Agree about YC value. No one can touch it. They are 75% the price of Neptune and offers so much more. However, we would never sail MSC in non YC from what we see walking around. Plus the ships are too big for us. 

• Thanks 1