River cruise recommendations for France, including wineries.

rhbphoto

My wife and I are long-time independent travelers but not so much cruisers. For an upcoming special birthday in 2025, we are considering a week-long fall river cruise in France, something my wife has always hinted at trying.  We both enjoy good food and especially wine and often plan our travels to include such, which incidentally coincides with wonderful art, history, and landscapes.  Initial research has been interesting as reviews are always subjective.  Dining, for instance,  can be perfectly acceptable on a ship but if it isn't of the region you are in that's always, or in most instances kind of questionable. 

Additionally, it is of interest to see what excursions are included on the various itineraries and which ones are additionally priced. Any insights would be most helpful.

Thanks     

Posted (edited)

When anyone is asking regarding a first time experience, while there will be a lot of very good ideas and experiences related here, I always suggest talking with a live travel agent experienced in (this case) river cruises.  They would have all of the comparative information available regarding the different river cruise lines as well as on board styles, itinerary options, land tours, etc., and could best fit your expectations, desires, and budget with options that would best address that.

For additional information from Cruise Critic, I would also suggest posting this on the River Cruising forum at this link:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

You do have a good point about an agent, it's always good to seek out an expert, especially when the topic is out of your wheelhouse, so to speak. I/we haven't used a travel agent in a very, very long time. I see there is a Cruise Lines Internation Assoc. that can refer specific agents. 

Thanks, safe travels

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, rhbphoto said:

We both enjoy good food and especially wine and often plan our travels to include such

For an even  more  intensive French experience, you could begin by researching  and reading reviews of Ponant and CroisiEurope lines and their river boats.😀.

Edited by edinburgher

Posted (edited)

I will be taking a river cruise at the end of this month on a Viking river cruise that's called "Chateaux, Rivers, and Wine". It is round-trip from Bordeaux and visits a number of areas well known for producing excellent wines (St. Emilion, Sauternes, Medoc, etc.)

It might be a good starting point for you. The cruise is offered from April through October (I think) on various dates.

I am also planning to spend additional time in the area before the cruise to see more of the region on my own, including some days in Bordeaux, a visit to the Lascaux caves and various other places such as Sarlat and Poitiers.

Edited by cruisemom42

Posted (edited)

@RH Cruiser Oops, I meant to address this to @rhbphoto! You might also want to post on the River Cruising forum:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/115-river-cruising/

Given that you are incurring the costs to get to Europe I would recommend back to back river cruises (2+ weeks):  Bordeaux and the Rhone.  Some lines offer them as a single cruise including the ground transportation between them.  Otherwise getting from the first cruise's disembarkation point to the second cruise's embarkation point can be done by local transportation (France has high speed trains).  I know Uniworld offers a three part Grand France itinerary (Seine, Rhone, Bordeaux).  In 2016 we couldn't take the 3 weeks off for that entire trip so we did parts 1 (Seine) and 2 (Rhone).  Bordeaux is still on our wish list.

Edited by capriccio

Capriccio, how did you find Uniworld as a cruise line, food and beverage quality, and excursions?  Indeed, while we are in Europe we will take in some other experiences. My wife and I have only done two expedition-type cruises in 40 years so I need to expand my usual sources. As someone mentioned I may seek out an agent who has cruise knowledge, if nothing else to pick their brain. The European lines look interesting, CroisiEurope especially since they are French and we will be going to France after all. 

Our last European river cruise (we did a New Orleans to Memphis cruise in 2019) was the one I mentioned.  We had cruised on Uniworld the year before Budapest to Amsterdam so my opinions may be dated. 

We were very impressed the cruise directors (very important on river ships), and the included excursions and found the food and drink offerings (all included) excellent.  The chefs would get fresh baked goods from local bakeries in the morning.  On one of our excursions to a Chateauneuf du Pape winery, we had to wait 5 minutes on the bus while the winery staff loaded cases of wine.  When we returned to the ship, the entire crew including the captains were lined up to pass the cases from the bus onto the ship. Uniworld's passenger capacity is smaller than Viking and many other ships which I like. 

One of my brothers has cruised with them 3 times in the interim but not post covid.  In September we (me, my DH, that DB and SIL plus our other DB and SIL on their first river cruise) are going to Madrid for 4 days and then on a Uniworld 11 day Duoro (Portugal) cruise which ends with a couple of days in Lisbon so I'll have a more informed opinion on how Uniworld has changed (or not) post covid. 

I encourage you to post your questions and take a look at other threads on the River Cruising forum.  There are lots of experienced and helpful river cruisers posting there.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, rhbphoto said:

CroisiEurope especially since they are French and we will be going to France after all. 

Ponant is also French,😀 (and sail under a French flag)one of the reasons I suggested it alongside CroisiEurope.

Edited by edinburgher