Messina to Taormina - car rental

Gem9739

Hi

We have part of a group of 11 this summer. NCL tours are too expensive for us (we have 3 teens) after paying for the cruise. Plus we have travelled extensively in Europe on our own so reluctant to pay fortune for transfer type tours. Messina is a great example - hundreds of £s just to ferry us on a coach to Taormina. 

So, does any one have any experience of hiring a car on Sicily? Rental companies near Messina port that are good? 

Please don't tell me to Google car rental companies as I have done that but am looking for personal experience. We have driven in several European companies and hired cars in Italy and France previously so not concerned about driving abroad.  

Thanks

I went to hertz.com and started a reservation for car pickup in Messina, Italy.  It looks like their location is at Via G. Garibaldi 128, Messina,98122, which would appear to be very close to the port.  I would try other international car rental company websites directly rather than using Google.

Thanks. Frustratingly on the 16th August which is when we dock in Messina Hertz is apparently temporarily closed (perhaps due to the national holiday the previous day).

On 4/4/2024 at 1:07 PM, Gem9739 said:

We have part of a group of 11 this summer. NCL tours are too expensive for us (we have 3 teens)

Another point to consider. Are all children in the group  in their teens or are there any younger than 12 years, because car seats are a legal requirement in Italy for that age group and would need to be pre-ordered.

On 4/6/2024 at 9:58 AM, Hlitner said:

Renting a vehicle to carry 11 is going to be a problem.  

Yes, we would hire 3 cars for us all. We have 6 adults who can all drive. 

On 4/6/2024 at 11:56 AM, edinburgher said:

Another point to consider. Are all children in the group  in their teens or are there any younger than 12 years, because car seats are a legal requirement in Italy for that age group and would need to be pre-ordered.

Thanks we have 1 but can carry a car seat so not an issue.