OTC medications for European River cruise

We are going to be taking the AMA Waterways Danube cruise in May from Budapest to (ending in)
Prague.  We fly into and out of Frankfurt.

Fortunately, neither of us are on prescription medications, but we do take some supplements, such
as a generic multi-vitamin, Vit. D3, Curcumin, and a few others, and we would like to take them on our trip.

1. Do these need to be in their original bottles?  If so, this will take quite a bit of room for a 10 day trip.

2.  Will we have to go thru inspections both in Frankfurt AND Budapest?  I know that Hungary is not in the EU,
and will that make a difference?

3.  Our previous trip with AMA on the Rhine was easy, going into and out of Amsterdam, and all countries

part of the EU and Schengen area.

4.  I don't HAVE to bring an OTC liquid, but if I did, can it be in a greater than 3.4oz bottle?

Any other suggestions welcomed...

20 minutes ago, birdman518 said:

4.  I don't HAVE to bring an OTC liquid, but if I did, can it be in a greater than 3.4oz bottle?

I think you need a physician's Rx to exceed that volume.

• Like 1

I always take my Rx in those daily dispensers.  I have just put them in my carryon and have never been questioned.  I’ve never even had them pulled out and questioned.  Neither has my husband.  If I take my vitamins I put them in small snack bags and label them D, C, etc.  

re liquids.  I think you would need to keep to the allowed size unless you put in your checked bag.  Just my view. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, birdman518 said:

Thanks... the liquid is not necessary, so I will probably just skip taking it, or buy something abroad..

I take both prescription and OTC medications.  I generally ONLY travel with these pre-sorted in daily pill organizers and have never been questioned.

However, it is really not security in any country that you are concerned about, it is when you get pulled out of the line for more extensive search that you could have to justify what the pill is.  This is going to be with the deeper customs search where they are looking for things that are not allowed in the country you are in.

I feel very confident because we never get pulled out for additional inspection, but now that I have said that it will likely happen!  haha.

My opinion.  Do your OTC meds have to be in their original bottles?  No.  Take a picture of the bottle label with a pill beside it and keep these pics in your photo favourites.  This is what I do.  If you were stopped it is about being able to identify the pill and these customs agents in all countries use websites that show pics of pills.  In reality even with the original OTC bottle you could have anything in that bottle.  (I do the same with all my prescription meds too)

RE your liquid.  I have had this issue before and you have two options.  Put it in a good strength ziplock back and pack in your checked luggage, or what I have done in the past is buy a travel size (100ml) bottle - or 2 or 3 - and pour the liquid in one or more of these bottles so that you have the amount you need.  Just take a sharpie or permanent marker and mark the bottle for its contents.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Hungary IS a member of the EU and as far as I am aware, is also a SCHENGEN member country.

Correct.  Hungary doesn't use the euro,  but they're in the EU. 

I've never had an issue with OTC meds or vitamins and supplements on my last 6 European river cruises. 

we travelled with prescription meds (but same would go for OTC meds) and we had them in one of those weekly organisers - but had photo of original containers and original prescriptions and letter from Dr.

I guess you could ask for a letter from pharmacist confirming OTC meds are what you say they are.

We did this more for Singapore airport knowing Singapore is very strict on this sort of thing.

However nowhere, i n any customs airport were we asked for this - and no mention or question at all on the actual cruise. (Amsterdam to Budapest)