Starlink Upload and download speeds on HAL

Here's what my Speedtest app just reported for me. We are in the Mozambique Channel between Mozambique in east Africa and Madagascar (world cruise, Zuiderdam). I'm sure the results depend a lot on where in the world you are. We've had slower internet generally in the Indian Ocean than before since the cruise started Jan. 3.

Screenshot2024-04-12at8_07_33AM.thumb.jpeg.c47a645d618f617427a04792591f101f.jpeg

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

How would one go to upgrade the speed from the "Have it all" Surf package? Is there something online or can that be done on the ship only?

The higher cost packages don't provide more speed, there are just fewer types of sites that are blocked.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/en/us/onboard-packages/cruise-ship-wifi

• Like 2

Our experience in the Caribbean this winter was amazing. Especially when you consider how it used to be. Had no problems with video calls or browsing the Internet. Day and night difference.

6 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

How would one go to upgrade the speed from the "Have it all" Surf package? Is there something online or can that be done on the ship only?

Speed does not change. Only service portfolio.

• Like 2

On the Rotterdam in January, the internet speed was quite adequate. However, on the Nieuw Statendam in March, the internet was very, very slow. I inquired at the desk as I thought perhaps it hadn't been upgraded to Starlink, but they confirmed it was. It was very disappointing.

3 hours ago, Fly and Sail said:

That's fine, I need access to pretty much everything. Where can I upgrade the service though?

I believe you can do it through Guest Services once you are on board.

Also, just be prepared for variances in service speed and quality. It's not likely to be like on land.

Space X does have a satellite tracking program that you can enter your position via lat / longs and it will give you your coverage for that area. We found that program useful on a Seaborn trip to Greenland / Iceland.