People of size?

Bibifamily

Hello,
We are a family of five and we are going on our very first cruise. We chose an MSC cruise around Scandinavia. Here is the thing... Two of our three boys are fairly overweight, and one of them is scared he'll be the only "fat kid" on the whole boat, as he put it, since we chose a trip "for old people". When I offered him the option to stay at home and keep things tidy while we were gone, he said he preferred to go on the cruise anyway. Children...
I told him it was very unlikely he would be the only big boy on the boat. But I wanted to make sure I didn't mislead him. Could someone who has been on one of these cruises give my husband and me some feedback? And are these cruises generally accommodating for overweight individuals?

I've never been on a cruise ship that had only one fat kid or only one fat adult.

Typically, cruisers are more overweight than the general population.

However, any cruise ship will have smaller stateroom accommodations than the usual land hotel. If the 5 of you are sharing a room, it will be tight no matter what size the people are.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Irrespective of where you're cruising from or the cruise line, there will passengers who are young, elderly, immobile, fat / thin etc from lots of countries around the world - everyone from buggies to mobility scooters and everything in between.   Your sons will in no way be conscious, or made to be because of their size.   As TWO said above, space in cabins and bathrooms can be on the snug side irrespective, but enjoy the cruise and the beauty of Scandinavia.   It sounds as if your son really does want to go, despite the impassive response.

• Like 1

You didn’t say which ship you are on, although it probably doesn’t make a difference…but one of the things that may surprise you is how small the bathrooms are, particularly the showers.  At least most have plexiglas doors rather than friendly curtains.  EM

Hug your kid and tell him he is great the way he is. I say that as a person of size who is constantly thinking about it and what others might be thinking of me. With that said, I avoided doing things I would have enjoyed for a long time worrying about others. One day it hit me, while I was on vacation with my young kids we were going to the pool. I hadn't been comfortable in a swim suit and avoided getting in with them many times. I realized NONE of the people there knew me or would see me again. The only people being harmed were myself and my kids and I had to get over it.  I had fun!

My husband and I have been traveling Europe now for six weeks. I definitely notice people are much thinner.  I may have felt some judgement, but nothing obvious.  But, a still won't let it take the enjoyment of travel from me.

I can't speak to how other kids will be, but as far as a cruise, he should be fine.

18 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

if he's a complainer have him get is own account on CC . he will fit right in 🙂

Haha maybe he ll make a post when we come back!

18 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i dare say well over 50 percent of all folks on any cruise are overweight. we are the majority there 🙂

The point my son was making was precisely about a cruise around Scandinavia. He has this idea that it's a destination only old people would choose, or "smug people" who "hate fatties" (my son's words again), like some of the people replying to my question here. It's true we are not taking them on a Disney cruise down in the Caribbean...

14 hours ago, mnpurple said:

Hug your kid and tell him he is great the way he is.

Done every day! Thanks for your kind words.

17 hours ago, Bibifamily said:

The point my son was making was precisely about a cruise around Scandinavia.

You might try to get him interested in the history - specifically the Norsemen/Vikings. I loved that stuff when I was a (fluffy) kid.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, rbelshaw said:

You might try to get him interested in the history - specifically the Norsemen/Vikings. I loved that stuff when I was a (fluffy) kid.

He has nothing against going to Scandinavia! And just like your young self he is happy to see the land of the Vikings and all that. We are totally bringing that up to make the boys thrill about our trip. They like the word "fjord" too for whatever reasons.

And I noticed that most of the ill advised comments have been removed. We didn't ask for that. People are entitled to their opinion. It was not kind nor wise, but we could take it.

Edited by Bibifamily

9 hours ago, Bibifamily said:

They like the word "fjord" too for whatever reasons.

We leave for Norway on the Euribia next week and (not young) hubby and myself crack up every time we say FEEEE-YOOORD 🙂