Comparison between NCL Joy and RCCL's Symphony and Explorer Of the Seas

Hi!  We are looking at a Panama Canal cruise that is on the Joy.  Our one really big ship experience was on the Symphony of the Seas and we did not like it at all.  All of the extra bells and whistles aren't really important to us and the few things we enjoyed were far outnumbered by the feeling that everywhere was crowded and we were constantly waiting in line, even though for meals and entertainment, I made all of the reservations I could, on the first day it was available.

Quite a long while ago, the second largest ship we ever sailed on was the Explorer of the Seas.  We really enjoyed this ship and didn't feel the crowding issues as we did on the Symphony of the Seas. 

We aren't foodies, but I like to be able to be seated fairly quickly, early in the evening in the main dining rooms.  I like to be able to find tables at breakfast in the buffet, especially on port mornings. I like to be able to see non-reserved shows without having to line up outside of the theater to wait for the doors to open because it fills up long before the shows start. 

Any personal experience with the Joy would be appreciated, especially if you can compare it to these other ships. 

Posted (edited)

The NCL Gem and Jewel also do Panama Canal cruises.  Those ships are better if you don't like crowds or big attractions.  We sailed the Jade which is a sister to the Gem and Jewel.  It was renovated, perfect for us and didn't require any reservations.  The Joy is a big ship where you do need reservations for shows.

Edited by Crazy planning mom

22 minutes ago, Crazy planning mom said:

The NCL Gem and Jewel also do Panama Canal cruises.  Those ships are better if you don't like crowds or big attractions.  We sailed the Jade which is a sister to the Gem and Jewel.  It was renovated, perfect for us and didn't require any reservations.  The Joy is a big ship where you do need reservations for shows.

Thanks.  Our small ship option is Princess, not NCL due to times, ports,etc. 

I know the Joy is big, but how does it compare "crowd" wise to the Explorer and Symphony?  I thnk it has as much to do with layout as it does total people.  I don't mind making reservations, but I don't want to still have to show up 40 minutes and stand in line after the reservations are made.  I hope this makes sense.  I do want to sail on the Jewel class ships someday.  I just haven't found the right itinerary and timing yet.

We were on Joy last year.  Maybe it was the time of year we sailed (toward the end of Spring break), but it was very crowded.  We liked Joy, mainly because we were in the Haven.  

We've been on Explorer, and I would say it was more crowded than her.  Haven't been on Symphony yet,

• Thanks 1