Excursion lunch place suggestions.

Shella73

Hi, I booked 4 excursions with Italy Tours.EU. There is a core group of 6 couples I know of going on many of these excursions and a group of 8 joining that group for at least one. As a group, we are wondering what might be some recommendations for lunch near each of our tour destinations.  The tour company recommends you choose a non-sit-down (aka fast food, pizzeria type) lunch for excursions. We were wondering what you guys had found to be good.

Thanks.

1) From the port of Messina: A trip up Mt. Etna, lunch will be in Taormina on the way down.

2) From Naples: To Pompeii, lunch in Sorrento

3)From Livorno: Pisa/Florence, Lunch in Florence

4) From Villefranche: Does not mention where the lunch stop is, I will ask in the correct port forum.

They recommend a fast food type meal because you have so little time.  You'll probably have the most time in Taormina, the other two days involve so much time on the road that your time in each location will be limited.

I remember having good meals in Taormina in a couple of places off the main street but I don't remember the names of the places unfortunately.  You almost have to get off the main street as during season it becomes a river of people.

One option to consider for your Naples stop, assuming that Pompei is in the morning and Sorrento in the afternoon, is to forget about the bus or van back to the port even though you've already paid for it.  Take the ferry, which will get you there in half the time (45 minutes vs. 60 - 90 by land) and be a much more pleasant journey.  The other benefit is that it allows you the time to have a nice sit-down lunch in Sorrento.  Note that this is only an option if you have a later departure time, the late afternoon ferry departs Sorrento at 4:25 PM and arrives to Naples at 5:15 PM.

Here's my favorite restaurant in Sorrento:  Sorrento Restaurant Buffalo Mozzarella Food and Drink InnBufalito

• 1 month later...

Dining in Italy (or many places in Europe) can take somewhat longer than you would expect, since just getting a check (and paying) can be a slow process.  If on an organized tour, your guide will generally steer you to a place that is more "fast food" oriented.  If you do go to a sit down cafe, it can be helpful to have your guide nearby to help move things along.

Since the OP mentions lunch in Taormina, I should mention that this tourist-oriented town is well-known as having some of the best cannoli's on earth.  Even if you skip lunch, think about getting a cannoli :).

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Dining in Italy (or many places in Europe) can take somewhat longer than you would expect, since just getting a check (and paying) can be a slow process.  If on an organized tour, your guide will generally steer you to a place that is more "fast food" oriented.  If you do go to a sit down cafe, it can be helpful to have your guide nearby to help move things along.

Since the OP mentions lunch in Taormina, I should mention that this tourist-oriented town is well-known as having some of the best cannoli's on earth.  Even if you skip lunch, think about getting a cannoli :).

Hank

Thank you. I can definitely make a cannoil a meal lol. 

We have done many excursions with Italy Tours.EU, RomeInLimo, and others and have never had to resort to a non-sit-down (aka fast food, pizzeria type) lunch.  Perhaps you're trying to accomplish too much and your proposed itinerary doesn't leave time for a proper lunch.  For us an enjoyable lunch during which we can enjoy local foods while touring in Sicily, the Amalfi Coast, the Greek Isles, or virtually any port anywhere is more than half the fun.

We did a Viking provided excursion to Mt. Etna and Taormina last fall and had plenty of time for lunch at our favorite restaurant.

Looking back at pictures from June, I see we ate lunch at this place near the Accademia. It had nice outdoor seating and the food was very good. 

In my experience, pizza is usually relatively quick. I have in the past asked when being seated if the time I have will be enough when I know I must be somewhere after lunch. 

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d1319869-Reviews-Oliandolo_Caffe_Ristoro-Florence_Tuscany.html

IMG_2837.thumb.jpeg.8e0700c94c7aa19ab6afdd10d2261a69.jpegIMG_2836.thumb.jpeg.107112d17f6a763a1f31270f1996adb9.jpegIMG_2835.thumb.jpeg.b5709c50c499bb2561f18b433b799984.jpeg