Explora Journeys Creating a Unique Cruise Brand

I know that MSC has a ton of money but what does it take to get on the radar with a brand new cruise line these days?  Even MSC is "kinda" known these days in the US market but ask anyone to define who they are?. They have been around for 20 years still looking for their niche.  

How does Explora market themselves?  There seems to be 8 or 10 cruise lines like Explora (especially to the new to cruising crowd). Everyone wants the land resort crossovers

Never been on Explora, looks interesting, some of entry pricing is enticing. 

Posted (edited)

From the linked article:

"Unlike other upscale brands, Explora Journeys caters to families as well, he noted, with a complete entertainment program for children."

Whether Explora Journeys get these families on their ships or not, the targeting of such may very well dissuade not a few luxury cruisers.

It is no secret a good many such cruisers enjoy the nearly child-free surroundings typical of luxury cruises.

Edited by no1talks
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, no1talks said:

From the linked article:

"Unlike other upscale brands, Explora Journeys caters to families as well, he noted, with a complete entertainment program for children."

Whether Explora Journeys get these families on their ships or not, the targeting of such may very well dissuade not a few luxury cruisers.

It is no secret a good many such cruisers enjoy the nearly child-free surroundings typical of luxury cruises.

I like the Viking model of no one under 18

I know the argument  -I would rather sit with my well behaved 8 year old world traveler rather than your drunk uncle.  We did a two 100 pax Crystal River (sad to see them go). First was no kids and great.  Second was enough kids that made a big difference on a small ship. They didn't like staying in the room so it was play time in any of the lounges   Dinner was kids standing on the seats swaying to the beat with an iPad. 

No thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, tfred said:

"Second was enough kids that made a big difference on a small ship."

We've not been on a river cruise, but I've studied the subject a bit. I get the impression the small area of these boats makes for a somewhat regimented experience until one is off the boat and seeing the sights.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, no1talks said:

We've not been on a river cruise, but I've studied the subject a bit. I get the impression the small area of these boats makes for a somewhat regimented experience until one is off the boat and seeing the sights.

River ships are close to "better" ocean ships, just much smaller. 

Restaurant, bar with lounge and a few common areas - mostly on the top deck for viewing.  All of these ships are smaller than any ocean ship in every dimension. There aren't 5 restaurants, 12 bars and tons of common areas 

River cruises are port intensive and almost everyone gets off to tour. There is generally on "river day" for a scenic stretch of the river.  Parents with younger kids aren't going to hang out in the room all day or up on deck (too sunny, cold, etc).  They set up camp in the bar/lounge with a collection of toys and blankets.  

Viking and Virgin ocean ships are over 18.  Two different ends of the spectrum but they seem to be making it work. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, tfred said:

I know the argument  -I would rather sit with my well behaved 8 year old world traveler rather than your drunk uncle.

Love this quote, LOL! My experience has been that even on cruises with few children on board, in warmer climates they tend to be in the pools just about all day splashing and having fun as children do, so that can make for a not so relaxing experience poolside if looking for a more chill vibe. Hopefully the one dedicated adults only pool at the front of the ship will suffice. It doesn't really seem like much of a pool? I would think Explora would make one of the aft pools adults only since there are four of them. Just hoping that all of the kids on board for my upcoming caribbean cruise will be the more well behaved type and there are not too many roudy, drunk uncles!

Edited by joseph123

7 hours ago, joseph123 said:

Hopefully the one dedicated adults only pool at the front of the ship will suffice. It doesn't really seem like much of a pool? I would think Explora would make one of the aft pools adults only

The dedicated adult pool at the front is not open very often and is more like a hot tub than a pool. The aft pool area on deck 5 would make a good adult only area and would solve the problem of noise for the top end Residence suites that overlook it. We only had a few kids on our March cruise. But they seemed to spend most of the day loudly enjoying the lovely infinity pool at the back of the ship. We decided not to book a Christmas cruise as the number of children would likely be substantially more and the noise issue exacerbated. 

• Like 2