"Pre-existing" vs "Unforeseen" - elderly non-travelling parent?

I've searched extensively through this very helpful forum but could not find this issue addressed. 

Situation is whether I'm covered for cancel/interrupt if my (non-travelling) elderly and very sick father is hospitalized or dies either just before or during a cruise.  I apologize in advance for what some may view as cold-hearted analysis but the reality of things requires me to be blunt.

The Oceania policy (which appears to be AON/Nationwide) is pretty clear that non-travellers are NOT covered in the definition of Pre-Existing Condition - "means an illness... for which You...or a Family member booked to travel with You..."  Thus, since Dad isn't travelling, what happens to him should not trigger the Pre-Existing Condition exclusion.  

But, the cancellation and interruption coverage applies only for "reasons that are Unforeseen" -- and "Unforeseen" is defined as "not anticipated or expected..."

In this worst-case scenario, if I'm sworn under oath, I'd say that my Dad's death (or hospitalization) was, in fact, "anticipated" or maybe even "expected" as those words are typically understood.

So, if Dad dies (or is hospitalized) the day before departure (or while I'm on the cruise), will the insurance pay the trip cancellation (or interruption) benefits?

I'd appreciate any thoughts/experiences any of you might have had.  

8 hours ago, carloff said:

I'd appreciate any thoughts/experiences any of you might have had. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

I am sorry your Dad is so poorly, but I am right there with you. Last fall, I obtained Holland America's Standard Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) cancellation protection for a 35-day cruise that would have sailed in mid-February. There is no medical included with this plan, so pre-existing conditions had no bearing. The closer the cruise got the hollower my stomach felt!

At the last possible moment (24-hours) I cancelled. The amount I calculated for refund was repaid to the penny within a week. Note, it being such a long cruise, with the protection premium and the amount withheld from refunding, it still cost us about $5,000 to cancel, but my family members' health did proceed to decline, and I was happy not to have been in the middle of the Pacific all last month!

"Worry for family members" is not covered in any plan, of course. Does Oceania not have CFAR cancellation plans? No? Maybe @iamtrustworthy knows of a third-party plan.

Good luck to you and your Dad.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and I too am sorry to hear of this situation with your Dad and it must be stressful planning anything, let alone thinking also about the potential of cancelling.  I went through this with my Mom over several years not knowing exactly when the time was going to come, but fortunately she passed when we were home and able to be with her.

Now, Canadian insurance can be different from what is available in the USA, but from my understanding in Canada anyway, a family members illness or medical situation that is not travelling is never considered anything to do with a pre-existing condition.

However, our policies have language like what you have quoted:  Unforeseen" -- and "Unforeseen" is defined as "not anticipated or expected..."

I would think that regardless of what you might "swear" that the insurance company is going to look at the doctor's reports and hospital records to determine if this could have been anticipated when you bought the trip and the insurance, and the most critical date is the date that the insurance was purchased.

In short, and in my opinion, if you are purchasing a trip and insurance with a reasonable expectation that you might have to cancel, then the insurance company is going to see it the same way and you may not be covered unless you pay for CFAR insurance.

Personally I would contact the insurance company on the phone and spell out your exact situation NOW and let them guide you.  Get it from the source.

Sorry again about your Dad.