Viking Rhone River Cruise Review with Lots of Photos and Menus

MVPinBoynton

Posted (edited)
LauraS
This post was recognized by LauraS!

"Thank you for sharing your review with everyone at Cruise Critic. Please consider submitting it to the site for publication as well: Click: Write a Review"

MVPinBoynton was awarded the badge 'Great Review'

I have just posted a review to my website with lots of photos of the Rhone River cruise on the Viking Delling.  I also have the menus from the restaurant and lounge.

When we booked this trip, we knew that we would see a lot of beautiful places and have some wonderful experiences.  This trip far exceeded our expectations.  We knew that the Viking long ships are perfect for river cruises and that their staff is friendly and very customer focused.  We didn’t expect to meet so many enjoyable cruise mates on this cruise.  Everyone was so friendly and fun loving.  We looked forward to seeing our friends every day.  We knew the ports would be pretty, but they were so much better than we thought they would be.  So much beauty and so much history.  The outstanding Viking tour guides made every tour so special.

In Arles, we saw one of the best-preserved Roman amphitheaters in the world.

Rhone_IP-0006.jpg

In Avignon, we were impressed with the beautiful massive walls around the town and the Palace of the Popes where seven popes lived after leaving Rome.

Rhone_IP-9904.jpg Rhone_IP-9907.jpg

Rhone_IP-0236.jpg

In Lyon, we visited the Notre Dame Basilica.  It is certainly one of the most beautiful churches I have ever been in, and I have been a bunch of them.

Rhone_IP-1347.jpg

We also traveled out to the beautiful, lush wine country for tastings.  So gorgeous.

Rhone_IP-2008.jpg

Our only disappointment was that we should have added additional days in Paris so we could experience so much more.  But on the plus side, we now have a very good reason to plan a return trip on our own sooner rather than later.  If you are thinking about doing a river cruise, I would highly recommend doing the Rhone.  It is a winner!

Edited by MVPinBoynton
  • Thanks 2

I'm with @CDNPolar , really great review and great pics.

I did this cruise on Viking Delling in August 2023 and it was interesting to see the differences.

Our Tournon train ride was in open carriages and the river below was dry, just a few pools left, so it was most interesting for me to see it in flood in your pictures. And we made it all way.

But we didn't get to Vienne. The boat was delayed and the included tour cancelled.

We visited different wineries, and I thought the optional Chateau Neuf du Pape was poor - and it caused me to write the only letter of complaint to Viking in 13 cruises with them, on the other hand the included tour to Beaujolais was first rate.

A couple of points. Your description mentions the coffee station "just before you enter the lounge on the port side" which reads like there is only one coffee station, but there's an identical one in the same position in the starboard side. 

The description "a unisex bathroom with two stalls.  Men and women could be in there at the same time, which was a bit different." caused me a double take but I think it's a matter of interpretation. Just a shared washbasin.

On the upper deck the stalls each have a washbasin and there's no shared door.

My briefer review our our trip  is here

3 minutes ago, pontac said:

I'm with @CDNPolar , really great review and great pics.

I did this cruise on Viking Delling in August 2023 and it was interesting to see the differences.

Our Tournon train ride was in open carriages and the river below was dry, just a few pools left, so it was most interesting for me to see it in flood in your pictures. And we made it all way.

But we didn't get to Vienne. The boat was delayed and the included tour cancelled.

We visited different wineries, and I thought the optional Chateau Neuf du Pape was poor - and it caused me to write the only letter of complaint to Viking in 13 cruises with them, on the other hand the included tour to Beaujolais was first rate.

A couple of points. Your description mentions the coffee station "just before you enter the lounge on the port side" which reads like there is only one coffee station, but there's an identical one in the same position in the starboard side. 

The description "a unisex bathroom with two stalls.  Men and women could be in there at the same time, which was a bit different." caused me a double take but I think it's a matter of interpretation. Just a shared washbasin.

On the upper deck the stalls each have a washbasin and there's no shared door.

My briefer review our our trip  is here

It is interesting how the same cruise can be so different.  Thanks for your comments. I’m will make a couple modifications based on them. 

Thank-you so much for this wonderful review. I am doing this cruise in June on the Buri and really enjoyed seeing your pictures and reading your comments. My first time on Viking so seeing the menus was helpful to me. I will probably read this several more times before I leave. BTW, I signed up for the Pont du Gard and Lyon culinary optional tours. I will probably skip the Lyon winery tour as I’m not much of a drinker. I think I will visit the resistance museum that morning. Thank-you again!

• Like 1