ITINERARY CHANGE NCL VIVA AUG 31... NO MORE KUSADASI TURKEY ANYONE KNOW WHY?

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I'm not trying to say it. I have said it, several times. I'm sorry you can't grasp things outside of your experience, but we have discussed this enough now.

Pardon? LOL!

CHEERS MATE

Edited by Oxo

On 4/19/2024 at 5:37 PM, zqvol said:

Kusadasi is a small port with room for only two ships. No docking space is likely the reason. 

Kusadasi has two piers for 4 cruise ships at the same time.

On August 31st there are only three ships in port, so no docking space actually can`t be the reason.

21 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

On August 31st there are only three ships in port, so no docking space actually can`t be the reason.

We have sailed in the Eastern Mediterranean several times.  On many more occasions we looked into cruises there before deciding to travel somewhere else.  There have been many times when Kusadasi and/or Istanbul have been removed from the itinerary on short notice.  There could be any of a wide variety of reasons.  The time that we were on a cruise for which they were removed, there had been some political unrest in Turkey just prior to our cruise.  We assumed that the itinerary change was for passenger safety. 

Roughly half of the 40 or so cruises we have taken with NCL have undergone some itinerary change, rarely prior to final payment, frequently after final payment but weeks before sailing, and sometimes after embarkation.  As someone else on this board has said, ship happens.  NCL probably could do a better job in promoting transparency in their communication on matters such as this, but the bottom line is that the cruise contract gives them great latitude to make changes without requiring them to offer any explanation.  Unfortunately, that's just part of cruising.

The Viva will be in Piraeus on August 31st, that's a dis/embarkation day. According to the advertised itinerary on NCL.com, it should be in Kusadasi on August 28th and then again September 1st, and Cruisetimetables says the same. If this has changed, the news hasn't gotten to them yet. 

If this is in fact what happened, the problem might not be Kusadasi but another port. This cruise also hits Mykonos and Santorini which are both notoriously crowded ports. They might have shifted around the itineraries to reduce congestion in those places. I'm booked on a HAL cruise which is doing that. That could mean Kusadasi has just been moved to another day. I could already be looking at the updated itineraries, for all I know.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Menocchio said:

The Viva will be in Piraeus on August 31st, that's a dis/embarkation day. According to the advertised itinerary on NCL.com, it should be in Kusadasi on August 28th and then again September 1st, and Cruisetimetables says the same. If this has changed, the news hasn't gotten to them yet. 

If this is in fact what happened, the problem might not be Kusadasi but another port. This cruise also hits Mykonos and Santorini which are both notoriously crowded ports. They might have shifted around the itineraries to reduce congestion in those places. I'm booked on a HAL cruise which is doing that. That could mean Kusadasi has just been moved to another day. I could already be looking at the updated itineraries, for all I know.

Folks on my Getaway sailing have expressed concern that NCL has yet to offer excursions for Kusadasi on 9/2. It already is an abbreviated stop, between the hours of 6:30 am- 1:30 pm. I saw from the cruisetimetables app that a Crystal ship will arrive at 1:30 pm and there will be 4 ships at the port at all given times. I guess that accounts for Getaways 1:30 pm departure.

I guess we’ll know when we know (if NCL will keep the port)!  

Edited by roddy good boy

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Oxo said:

I cannot recall a ship that I have been on that did not use a lifeboat as a tender.

Are you trying to say that on ships they have two different boats? Lifeboat & tenders?

The Prima's lifeboats are not used as tenders.  This became in issue in  Isafjorour, Iceland, a small port where the Icelandic government is trying to deepen the harbor so larger ships can dock there directly.  That project was originally scheduled to be completed prior to last summer's cruise season, but the work was delayed and all of the Prima's stops to Isafjorour were canceled last year (some were replaced by overnights in the capital, others with sea days).

IT has been reported on these forums that the Prima has been able to tender in ports like Grand Cayman, where the local authorities run their own tender ships but passengers were told the Prima does not have its own tender boats available.  

There are more stops scheduled this summer for the Prima in  Isafjorour, so hopefully that work will be completed prior to the season starting.

Edited by kitkat343

51 minutes ago, kitkat343 said:

The Prima's lifeboats are not used as tenders.  This became in issue in  Isafjorour, Iceland, a small port where the Icelandic government is trying to deepen the harbor so larger ships can dock there directly.  That project was originally scheduled to be completed prior to last summer's cruise season, but the work was delayed and all of the Prima's stops to Isafjorour were canceled last year (some were replaced by overnights in the capital, others with sea days).

IT has been reported on these forums that the Prima has been able to tender in ports like Grand Cayman, where the local authorities run their own tender ships but passengers were told the Prima does not have its own tender boats available.  

There are more stops scheduled this summer for the Prima in  Isafjorour, so hopefully that work will be completed prior to the season starting.

Screenshot_20240421_164331.jpg

2 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

Folks on my Getaway sailing have expressed concern that NCL has yet to offer excursions for Kusadasi on 9/2. It already is an abbreviated stop, between the hours of 6:30 am- 1:30 pm. I saw from the cruisetimetables app that a Crystal ship will arrive at 1:30 pm and there will be 4 ships at the port at all given times. I guess that accounts for Getaways 1:30 pm departure.

I guess we’ll know when we know (if NCL will keep the port)!  

We're on the Viva on 5/25 and the Kusadasi excursions have never showed up, and now in the app, our Santorini excursions show up on that day. We booked a third party excursions since NCL offered none, but now I'm very suspicious that we'll be going there.

As early as February, when people called NCL, they were saying that our itinerary was changing but haven't released it yet. Now, the changed their story and the official stance is "it's an app glitch" and the Senior VP of Guest Services says "We encourage you to read any correspondence that comes from us rather than rely on social media platforms for information." They say that even though NCL reps have told me the itinerary will be changing over the phone, and that some of the local port's official websites have revised dates and times which changed in February when the problem happened. 

It won't ruin my vacation or anything, but don't think I'll ever book an NCL cruise again for a sailing that's about the destinations; they're too shady with their itinerary changes and I don't trust them. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, ray985 said:

We're on the Viva on 5/25 and the Kusadasi excursions have never showed up, and now in the app, our Santorini excursions show up on that day. We booked a third party excursions since NCL offered none, but now I'm very suspicious that we'll be going there.

As early as February, when people called NCL, they were saying that our itinerary was changing but haven't released it yet. Now, the changed their story and the official stance is "it's an app glitch" and the Senior VP of Guest Services says "We encourage you to read any correspondence that comes from us rather than rely on social media platforms for information." They say that even though NCL reps have told me the itinerary will be changing over the phone, and that some of the local port's official websites have revised dates and times which changed in February when the problem happened. 

It won't ruin my vacation or anything, but don't think I'll ever book an NCL cruise again for a sailing that's about the destinations; they're too shady with their itinerary changes and I don't trust them. 

Sheesh!!! We’re already scheduled for Santorini so if they remove Kasadasi it’ll likely be a sea day or another Greek port. I’m trying to stay positive. We’re currently scheduled for two days in Istanbul, as well, but they only have excursions offered at 5 hours, or less. The all day, more desirable ones aren’t listed. Not sure what that’s about. 

I was originally on one of the Israel, Egypt, Greece, Turkey cruises that were cancelled. First they understandably took off Israel,  but pretended like we would still go to Egypt for months, prior to just cancelling the cruise.

I’ve previously been to Athens, Greece and enjoyed it, but I didn’t want to go on an all Greek Isle cruise.  Getting up in age and have some bucket list places I’d like to experience. However, I’m sure we’ll make the best of it, if it comes to that. Blessed to be able to go anywhere! 

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

The following is a (generally reliable but not always up to date) third party web site, not the official port site, but it shows the Getaway in Kusadasi on Sept. 2, 2024.  (You didn't say what ship you are on.)

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/kusadasi-ephesus-turkey-cruise-ship-schedule.html

The site shows no NCL ship there on August 31, 2024, the date the OP said the VIVA was supposed to be there.

I am not sure if the original poster meant their sail date is 08-31. That is what shows on NCL. They would then be in their 1st port which is Kusadasi on 09-01. The ship stills shows as in port on the 1st on the site you referenced. Since we are 1 day behind I am concerned especially as I have not seen anyone post the reason

On 4/18/2024 at 8:50 PM, Lolomazz said:

GRRRR is it me or are people at Norwegian Cruise Line extremely rude...i was hung up on 3 times... apparently they canceled the kusadasi turkeys port..for AUG 31 2024.  and nobody even emailed me does anybody know anything about this! why was it canceled? I find that I can get better advice posting on here versus calling the cruise line

sorry sept 1 kusadasi was scheduled and canceled now aug 31 sailing from athens has 2 days in istanbul!!! wow i was told no itinerary change for my cruises then called a very helpful agent at fhe shore excursion ncl number and BINGO NO MORE KUSADASI BUT 2 FULL DAYS IN ISTANBUL... the reason I found out about all this is because I logged into my account and my short Excursion for Santorini moved to September 1st prompted the call I said what happened to Turkey kusadasi They told me there was an itinerary change And we get two full days and Istanbul wish to me is a lot more exciting... Agents at Norwegian do not Have updated information and every time you phone there's a different Answer I received 10 different answers for other things from 10 different agents

11 hours ago, CruiseMH said:

It's for September 1st

8 hours ago, roddy good boy said:

Sheesh!!! We’re already scheduled for Santorini so if they remove Kasadasi it’ll likely be a sea day or another Greek port. I’m trying to stay positive. We’re currently scheduled for two days in Istanbul, as well, but they only have excursions offered at 5 hours, or less. The all day, more desirable ones aren’t listed. Not sure what that’s about. 

I was originally on one of the Israel, Egypt, Greece, Turkey cruises that were cancelled. First they understandably took off Israel,  but pretended like we would still go to Egypt for months, prior to just cancelling the cruise.

I’ve previously been to Athens, Greece and enjoyed it, but I didn’t want to go on an all Greek Isle cruise.  Getting up in age and have some bucket list places I’d like to experience. However, I’m sure we’ll make the best of it, if it comes to that. Blessed to be able to go anywhere! 

when does your viva cruise start may 25 and you said 2 days in instabul now? no kusadasi? can you post your itinerary?

Posted (edited)

shouldi  be regretting booking my dream Mediterranean cruise with NCl?? dont even know where im traveling to Aug 31 2024 it leaves sfhens to rome why on earth would they change ports so close to sailing

Edited by Lolomazz

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Lolomazz said:

when does your viva cruise start may 25 and you said 2 days in instabul now? no kusadasi? can you post your itinerary?

No. I’m on the Getaway, which starts on Sept. 1. Currently, the itinerary still lists Kusadasi for Sept. 2. I’m hoping it remains. 

Ray985 is on the May 25 sailing of Viva.

Edited by roddy good boy

RE: tenders vs. life boats. Capt. Kate (an actual guest-relations minded captain, unlike NCL masters of old world stodginess) provided a lovely explanation of a tender vs. a life boat on her "captain's log." Look up day 68 when she's in St. Lucia. You can find it on the various socials. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruiseny4life said:

RE: tenders vs. life boats. Capt. Kate (an actual guest-relations minded captain, unlike NCL masters of old world stodginess) provided a lovely explanation of a tender vs. a life boat on her "captain's log." Look up day 68 when she's in St. Lucia. You can find it on the various socials. 

Thank You!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2024 at 12:57 AM, Lolomazz said:

sorry sept 1 kusadasi was scheduled and canceled now aug 31 sailing from athens has 2 days in istanbul!!! wow i was told no itinerary change for my cruises then called a very helpful agent at fhe shore excursion ncl number and BINGO NO MORE KUSADASI BUT 2 FULL DAYS IN ISTANBUL... the reason I found out about all this is because I logged into my account and my short Excursion for Santorini moved to September 1st prompted the call I said what happened to Turkey kusadasi They told me there was an itinerary change And we get two full days and Istanbul wish to me is a lot more exciting... Agents at Norwegian do not Have updated information and every time you phone there's a different Answer I received 10 different answers for other things from 10 different agents

On 4/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, CruiseMH said:

On 4/21/2024 at 1:14 PM, CruiseMH said:

Wait a minute things are getting me even more shady is NCL itinerary changes I received an email yesterday we leave out of Athens August 31st we're supposed to be in Santorini September 1st and now my app says it's a c-day and they've moved Santorini down a few days and took off kusadasi turkey final payment is in like two days what the heck are they doing? I'm a Royal Caribbean loyal fan I should have stuck with them but it's the itinerary that got me this itinerary goes to niece Monaco Istanbul Santorini Naples Messina Florence Pisa nobody else has this itinerary so I booked with Norwegian however I've been warmed about Norwegian many times to stay away from them I can see why now I received an official itinerary change email yesterday in fact I received two that had cuz of dossi turkey on it and apologize for the changes but we were not losing ports and all of a sudden we are losing a part today after they sent the correspondence kusadasi disappeared and now we have a sea day.. I have all my flights booked and everything is non-refundable I am kicking myself trusting Norwegian Cruise Line and booking with them I sense a disaster!!+

On 4/18/2024 at 9:50 PM, Lolomazz said:

GRRRR is it me or are people at Norwegian Cruise Line extremely rude...i was hung up on 3 times... apparently they canceled the kusadasi turkeys port..for AUG 31 2024.  and nobody even emailed me does anybody know anything about this! why was it canceled? I find that I can get better advice posting on here versus calling the cruise line

No matter what the reason is, does it change the fact that the port is cancelled?  You say you were hung up on, did you actually get to talk to someone or was the call dropped while your were in the call hold queue?  Were you on a cell phone or landline?  Your call was DROPPED three times.  You really have no idea if anyone actually hung up on you.

Bottom line is that, as we all know, ports can be cancelled at any tiem for any reason with NO EXPLANaTION required.  If you do not liker that concept then quite possibly taking a cruise is not for you!  It has happened on all cruise lines and will happen in the future on all cruise lines as well.  Yeah it sucks when a port you really wanted to go to is dropped, but that is part of what can happen on a cruise.

Go on your cruise and have a great time.  Don't choose to ruin your own cruise before you even get on the ship!

On 4/19/2024 at 10:12 AM, Distinctive-Destinations said:

Could be citing the same nonsensical reason they told me that Grenada was cancelled on our current cruise: safety.

Or the other version I’ve heard onboard that the slip was $250k/day so they cancelled it for that reason.

Or the other other version I’ve heard: to save fuel/help the environment.

Or none of the above.  In the end does it change the fact that the port was cancelled?

On 4/21/2024 at 2:14 PM, CruiseMH said:

Invalid conclusion.  There is more to the eqiuation than than simply the numebr of ships in port.  For example in this case size DOES matter!

On 5/2/2024 at 9:02 PM, PartyPlannerLady said:

Invalid conclusion.  There is more to the eqiuation than than simply the numebr of ships in port.  For example in this case size DOES matter!

Just have a look at pictures on the web from Kusadasi cruise port and you will see that four big ships do fit in there. 😉