Need small/private whale watching option in Ketchikan or Skagway

CVW

Juneau is already booked with glacier/sled dogs. I need a nice whale watching excursion out of Skagway or Ketchikan. Which is better for whales, and what are some of our options? We’re willing to spend a little extra, but probably not thousands for the private charters I’ve been looking at. Thanks!

How important is it that the tour be private.  The cruise ships offer larger boat whale watching excursions and also whale watching excursions on boats that hold maybe 10 or 12 people.  We have done the latter several times and they work well.  

DON

I don't live in Alaska like @wolfie11 does (so they are more the experts) but I haven't seen whale watching excursions in either of those ports. Juneau is going to be your best bet for whales. I would be afraid if you go in the other ports - you will be disappointed.

Do you have time to do 2 excursions in Juneau. That would be what I would do. Expensive day, yes, priceless though.

Agree that I have never seen whale watching excursions in either Ketchikan or Skagway. What I have noted in Ketchikan are what are referred to as scenic and wildlife boat tours that mention whale sightings as one of the possibilities - but definitely not a guarantee like in Juneau or ISP. More luck of the draw likely. 

But here is one that seems to be focused on whale watching:

https://ketchikanfishfinder.com/ketchikan-whale-watching.html

17 minutes ago, karatemom2 said:

Agree that I have never seen whale watching excursions in either Ketchikan or Skagway. What I have noted in Ketchikan are what are referred to as scenic and wildlife boat tours that mention whale sightings as one of the possibilities - but definitely not a guarantee like in Juneau or ISP. More luck of the draw likely. 

But here is one that seems to be focused on whale watching:

https://ketchikanfishfinder.com/ketchikan-whale-watching.html

I did find that also after @wolfie11 posted. I had to search.

I honestly have never seen anyone say "I had a great whale watching experience in Ketchikan" on this board. I am not even sure I have seen anyone say they went whale watching in Ketchikan on this board.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Coral said:

I did find that also after @wolfie11 posted. I had to search.

I honestly have never seen anyone say "I had a great whale watching experience in Ketchikan" on this board. I am not even sure I have seen anyone say they went whale watching in Ketchikan on this board.

Somebody started one last year I think.  Notice they call it a whale search and don’t guarantee whales like they do in Juneau and ISP.

image.thumb.jpeg.50538ba51b4b78b33134328e8e3e6402.jpeg

The other option is to switch your sled dog excursion to Skagway and then do whale watching in Juneau.

Though - there is a chance in both ports that weather or other conditions could prevent the helicopter ride from happening.

Thanks. I think the best option will be Vancouver the day before the cruise. Just booked it! Thanks for your help.