Independent Excursions

JohnJ144

The are two large consignment apps that showcase independent tours Viator and Get Your Guide. I’ve used both over the years with only a minor problem or two. There are others. Search for “shore excursions”. 

14 minutes ago, CruzR887 said:

The are two large consignment apps that showcase independent tours Viator and Get Your Guide. I’ve used both over the years with only a minor problem or two. There are others. Search for “shore excursions”. 

It is also useful to look at what's available from the consolidators and then try to contact/book directly with the tour provider.  It cuts out the middleman of Viator, although you often lose the ability to book now and pay later that Viator provides.

Posted (edited)

Check out Trip Advisor.  Search your port and then things to do, then under experiences there should be tabs for day trips, walking tours, shore excursions, private tours, etc.

You can also read the ports of call section here on cruise critic for your specific ports.  You should find threads with independent tour suggestions there as well.  

Edited by pompeii

Here's another vote for TripAdvisor and the Ports of Call section, plus sometimes just googling for private tours in X location.  I've set up small independent tours for 20+ years for ourselves and a few others (all met on Roll Calls).  We've never had a bad experience with those I've set up, and we've had some truly amazing ones.  I've even set up small private tours in places such as Sumatra, Togo, and the Gambia.  It just takes research and patience to find the right guide.  I respect those who take ship excursions, but we've been DIY people all our lives.  I always go to the farthest place we want to see first, and work our way back to port in plenty of time, and I make sure there is plenty of elbow room in the vehicle.

• Like 1

Just be mindful of cancellation policies. We had to skip a few ports due to weather and the excursion that I booked would not refund my money. My fault because I did not thoroughly read the cancellation policy of 72 hours.  

2 hours ago, lisacdmartin said:

Just be mindful of cancellation policies. We had to skip a few ports due to weather and the excursion that I booked would not refund my money. My fault because I did not thoroughly read the cancellation policy of 72 hours.  

We had a situation in Wales in 2019 where the ship could not get into port due to the seas and the independent guide I had booked with was very unhappy and rude when I had to contact her.  We eventually sent her $100 because she complained so much about having driven to the port to pick us up.  I won't book any independent/private tours that don't offer a refund if the ship isn't able to dock but more likely I would only book tours that allow us to pay in cash on the day of the tour.  Thirty years of doing private tours we only had that one bad experience! 

11 minutes ago, texswamper said:

We had a situation in Wales in 2019 where the ship could not get into port due to the seas and the independent guide I had booked with was very unhappy and rude when I had to contact her.  We eventually sent her $100 because she complained so much about having driven to the port to pick us up.  I won't book any independent/private tours that don't offer a refund if the ship isn't able to dock but more likely I would only book tours that allow us to pay in cash on the day of the tour.  Thirty years of doing private tours we only had that one bad experience! 

This was the first time I had a problem also. The ship did not go to the port because of a hurricane. It was a group tour and I think the group consisted of cruise ship passengers because the tour did not take place. But since I did not cancel before the 72 hour timeframe they did not refund me any money even though they didn't even conduct the tour. I'll just have to be more mindful next time. 

• Like 1