Waitlist Experience

ICUQT

I am interested in a cruise for October 2025 specifically the second leg of the 29 day transpacific embarking Tokyo to Singapore on the Discovery Princess. The second leg shows "sold out" the 29 day is still open but due to my wife's employment we are unable to do it. I called my PCC and was put on a waitlist my position on the list is 89. I know we are about 17 months out and anything can happen in front of me. I also believe that Princess is holding back inventory and that 50% of the folks in front of me may drop for a variety of reasons. Wishful thinking? Anyway, I would be interested in what others have experienced in similar situation and whether or not they were successful. Should I be looking for something similar on another cruise line?

We wanted the same cruise as you. I keep checking but am not on the waitlist. The Discovery is mostly full for the first leg from Alaska to Tokyo, as well as Tokyo to Singapore. (A suite is now $34k per person.😬) I don't believe Princess will offer any more cabins for less than the entire 29-day cruise.

We booked a 12-day Southeast Asia cruise on the Diamond Princess instead. It begins in Tokyo November 25, 2025, and ends in Singapore on Dec. 7th, 2025. Fewer ports/more sea days but visits the same countries. Check it out. Cruise # M535.

Good luck!

You stand a chance. Lots of people buy multiple FCC's onboard and use them to hold several cruises, fully intending to cancel the majority of them. But "89"? Wow!

I don't know how solid your dates are nor your desire for that specific departure port, but rather than hope to get on an apparently full ship (and understand that, despite liking Princess I have an anti-Royal Class bias) I would be considering one of these...

Diamond Princess, 11/12/25, as Teechur suggested. Smaller ship but just 1 day in Hong Kong.

Celebrity Millenium, 10/29/25, also Tokyo to Singapore with 2 days in Hong Kong

HAL Westerdam, 11/9/25, Hong Kong to Singapore.

Oceania Riviera (my top pick), 11/6/25, Bangkok to Singapore or 10/22/25, Hong Kong to Bangkok. 

Good luck!

Thanks, folks, for the input. I have checked out the suggestions and the wife and I think the 12-day Princess will work out. What I am probably going to do is add a Pre-Cruise and Post cruise stay. I would like a tour out of Tokyo and get on their bullet train to Mt Fuji (?) if that is even possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ICUQT said:

Thanks, folks, for the input. I have checked out the suggestions and the wife and I think the 12-day Princess will work out. What I am probably going to do is add a Pre-Cruise and Post cruise stay. I would like a tour out of Tokyo and get on their bullet train to Mt Fuji (?) if that is even possible.

Agree.  Do a bit of research.  Your train to Mt Fuji is pretty easy.  Lots of day and short tours.

4 hours ago, ICUQT said:

We will do the same. I noticed that the hotels in Yokohama appear to be nicer, newer, larger rooms, and cheaper. For example:

Hyatt Regency Yokohama | A Luxury Hotel in Yokohama, a port town

We will probably hire a vehicle with driver and guide for an all-day loop around Tokyo. For example: 

2024 Tokyo Private Driving Tour by Car or Van with Chauffeur (tripadvisor.com)

Two of us have been to most of these places in the past, but Taiwan and Vietnam will be new for all four of us. 

Whenever there is a cruise that can be booked as an entire cruise or broken up into legs they usually have some cabins for legs and others for the whole thing