Park 19 on the Sun Princess

Part of the attraction of Princess for the wife and I was the fact that they were not Carnival and RCL. Their ships were not huge, floating amusement parks, and they didn't cater to families with young children. Princess needs to take this as a sign and go back to their roots.

• Like 5

Im not bothered by not having Park 19. Truth be told, I didn't like the idea.  However, that said,  its just another fail in a long list of deploying this ship. From delays in starting, to original booking, to changing booking structure and upsetting people , to delayed restaurants, shows, etc.  Its like they are just winging it. They need to get their act together.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, FLAlaska said:

Im not bothered by not having Park 19. Truth be told, I didn't like the idea.  However, that said,  its just another fail in a long list of deploying this ship. From delays in starting, to original booking, to changing booking structure and upsetting people , to delayed restaurants, shows, etc.  Its like they are just winging it. They need to get their act together.

I totally get that. As a plus though - maybe it’s good that they are being flexible, shifting as need be based on guest feedback, instead of rigidly sticking to original plans with new concepts for them that aren’t as successful as they hoped they’d be. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kit6 said:

I totally get that. As a plus though - maybe it’s good that they are being flexible, shifting as need be based on guest feedback, instead of rigidly sticking to original plans with new concepts for them that aren’t as successful as they hoped they’d be. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Going to be interesting to see what , if anything, they fix with the Star and if it will delay it. They have time to have learned and get it right

1 hour ago, IndyKid said:

Part of the attraction of Princess for the wife and I was the fact that they were not Carnival and RCL. Their ships were not huge, floating amusement parks, and they didn't cater to families with young children. Princess needs to take this as a sign and go back to their roots.

100% agree. We've cruised on all major lines and 7 or 8 years ago we realized that we did not enjoy NCL with all their parks, bumper cars, bowling alleys, water slides. We likewise realized RCI ships had grown too big with every amenity for teenagers known to man. Carnival? Well, been there done that enough to leave that to others. We started cruising on Princess and what a difference. It was so nice relaxing on a pool deck without blaring TVs, water slides and screaming kids. The food and service is generally exceptional and the product somewhat reserved and designed for people our age - 50's/60's. Leave it alone Princess.

• Like 4

If they can't accept delivery of the RollGlider, Coastal Climb, and Ropes course, is the vendor who installed them going to come back on the ship and remove them? 🤔

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

100% agree. We've cruised on all major lines and 7 or 8 years ago we realized that we did not enjoy NCL with all their parks, bumper cars, bowling alleys, water slides. We likewise realized RCI ships had grown too big with every amenity for teenagers known to man. Carnival? Well, been there done that enough to leave that to others. We started cruising on Princess and what a difference. It was so nice relaxing on a pool deck without blaring TVs, water slides and screaming kids. The food and service is generally exceptional and the product somewhat reserved and designed for people our age - 50's/60's. Leave it alone Princess.

What do you call MUTS if not a giant TV near the pool?

Problem is Princess demographics now average 65+.

Their target would be closer to 55. Basically other competing lines have made changes to get their demographics in the 50 to 60 range, while Princess passenger base ages on. New larger ships need more passengers, need to attract wider age demographic or they will be in trouble a few years down the road.

• Like 4

Just now, TRLD said:

Problem is Princess demographics now average 65+.

Their target would be closer to 55. Basically other competing lines have made changes to get their demographics in the 50 to 60 range, while Princess passenger base ages on. New larger ships need more passengers, need to attract wider age demographic or they will be in trouble a few years down the road.

Yup. And surely they've run the numbers and realize they need a wider net or they know that cruising is changing to be more multi-generational and they are missing out on that market almost entirely. Princess would not have made such a big change with the Sun/Star Princess unless they fully intended on executing a strategic shift. It's just too expensive to half-heartedly make changes like this. Expect to see even more announcements in this direction with future ships.

I think they might take Park19 in more of a pickleball/axethrowing direction to go along with the cornhole and other party games they've talked about in that area. Easy way to create a space for all ages, including yuppies and kids. Basically a "Smash Park" concept on a ship.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TRLD said:

What do you call MUTS if not a giant TV near the pool?

If you've ever been on NCL you'll know the difference. That things blares so loud all day you can barely hear yourself think. A sea on Princess it i basivally on screen saver mode. Nice and quiet.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, nbsjcruiser said:

If you've ever been on NCL you'll know the difference. That things blares so loud all day you can barely hear yourself think. A sea on Princess it i basivally on screen saver mode. Nice and quiet.

You can find plenty of posts here on CC that complain about how MUTS is too load and ruins the pool area.  Just as some make the same complaint about the Piazza and spend level in the theater.

Edited by TRLD

39 minutes ago, peder said:

Yup. And surely they've run the numbers and realize they need a wider net or they know that cruising is changing to be more multi-generational and they are missing out on that market almost entirely. Princess would not have made such a big change with the Sun/Star Princess unless they fully intended on executing a strategic shift. It's just too expensive to half-heartedly make changes like this. Expect to see even more announcements in this direction with future ships.

I think they might take Park19 in more of a pickleball/axethrowing direction to go along with the cornhole and other party games they've talked about in that area. Easy way to create a space for all ages, including yuppies and kids. Basically a "Smash Park" concept on a ship.

The biggest changes Princess is making with the new class is not the small family area. It is the move to a class system following changes that Celebrity made years ago. If they ever get that dialed in you can expect them to implement the same on the Royal class ships as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TRLD said:

The biggest changes Princess is making with the new class is not the small family area. It is the move to a class system following changes that Celebrity made years ago. If they ever get that dialed in you can expect them to implement the same on the Royal class ships as well.

I completely agree.  I think converting the Royal class may not be super easy though.  Those sanctuarys have no pool (a dedicated pool is a must if they demand a huge premium for the area) and if they take the adult pool away from the main group of passengers, there will be hell to pay.  

It will be interesting to see how well Sun Princess does ...

19 minutes ago, TRLD said:

Yup, and I'm booked on their ship-within-a-ship after having been on MSC Yacht Club and DCL Concierge. Definitely a huge change, and I think future ships will be more purpose-built around the ship-within-a-ship and probably even take more space. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more room categories like NCL's family 2-bedroom rooms offered within the Haven. That would align with Princess's multigenerational push.

The "Sanctuary Collection" will be most of Princess's strategic and executional focus for the next few years, but Park19 and other family-friendly amenities will also still be very important.

25 minutes ago, TRLD said:

You can find plenty of posts here on CC that complain about how MUTS is too load and ruins the pool area.  Just as some make the same complaint about the Piazza and spend level in the theater.

Have you been on Princess much, and experienced MUTS?  Too Loud for you?

I agree with above poster.... Muts is played later, when most aren't swimming anyway.

How about  Piazza and SOUND Level in theater.  What was Your experience?

The Sanctuary on the Sphere Class ships don't seem very private and could potentially turn into a zoo.  Princess, in their Sanctuary Collection press release, broke down the number of cabins available.  In total, there are 215 Sanctuary Collection cabins, which means based on double occupancy, up to 430 passengers would be granted access.  Yikes!  That's besides that there doesn't appear to be many shady areas.  At least on the ships prior there's a big awning.

Screenshot 2024-07-22 094442.jpg

9 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Sanctuary on the Sphere Class ships don't seem very private and could potentially turn into a zoo.  Princess, in their Sanctuary Collection press release, broke down the number of cabins available.  In total, there are 215 Sanctuary Collection cabins, which means based on double occupancy, up to 430 passengers would be granted access.  Yikes!  That's besides that there doesn't appear to be many shady areas.  At least on the ships prior there's a big awning.

I think an even bigger issue was the possibility of glider noise overhead.  Along with screaming, laughing people.  Not a very "sanctuary" experience.  Maybe the replacement fun zone will find a quiet alternative.....

And I'm told (not going on this ship until November) that at one end, people can look down at the sun bathers in the sanctuary.  

Not worth it to me, I wouldn't buy in for the old price of 40 dollars a day.  That setup wouldn't appeal to me if you paid me 40 a day.  

But I'm sure some will love it.

11 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Sanctuary on the Sphere Class ships don't seem very private and could potentially turn into a zoo.  Princess, in their Sanctuary Collection press release, broke down the number of cabins available.  In total, there are 215 Sanctuary Collection cabins, which means based on double occupancy, up to 430 passengers would be granted access.  Yikes!

It's a bit high. For comparison, the MSC World Europa has 152 Yacht Club cabins with a larger YC sundeck. But in my experience, the YCs on multiple ships have never been remotely busy, so I don't think there's a huge problem with 215 Sanctuary cabins.

13 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

The Sanctuary on the Sun is adults only and has no shade so for those two reasons we will not be availing ourselves of it even though we are in a "Sanctuary "class mini suite. I have a feeling there might be many other people like us so crowding may not be an issue.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, peder said:

It's a bit high. For comparison, the MSC World Europa has 152 Yacht Club cabins with a larger YC sundeck. But in my experience, the YCs on multiple ships have never been remotely busy, so I don't think there's a huge problem with 215 Sanctuary cabins.

Even on a sea day, only 1/3 to 1/4 will want to sun bathe.  And of those that choose to sun bathe, not all will choose the sanctuary as suite guests have more than one option.  

I also prefer shaded areas, so this sanctuary is a no go for me.

Edited by Its the journey

Just now, chamima said:

The Sanctuary on the Sun is adults only

I think they might change this going forward. From my understanding, Celebrity Retreat, MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven all have family-friendly sundecks. I don't think they'll stray too far from what the rest of the market is doing.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, peder said:

I think they might change this going forward. From my understanding, Celebrity Retreat, MSC Yacht Club, NCL Haven all have family-friendly sundecks. I don't think they'll stray too far from what the rest of the market is doing.

While I agree with you that you'd think Princess would make the Sanctuary family friendly is all ages, in line with virtually all the other lines - at least for now, they're adamant on keeping it 16+ after the changes in October..

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/sanctuary-collection

Screenshot_20240722-132409.png

17 minutes ago, peder said:

Agreed.  People paying suite prices will expect to bring their children.  They may put some age limit (12 and up is being discussed) but I'm sure Suite children will be allowed.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense.

5 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

While I agree with you that you'd think Princess would make the Sanctuary family friendly is all ages, in line with virtually all the other lines - at least for now, they're adamant on keeping it 16+ after the changes in October..

https://www.princess.com/en-us/ships-and-experience/onboard-experience/sanctuary-collection

Screenshot_20240722-132409.png

Yep, and really I don't want to make someone book Sanctuary with the expectation that the rule will eventually change, I'm just speculating based on other cruise lines.

They don't want to confuse the issue right now.  At the moment the "riff raff" can use the area for 100 per day.  If they lifted the age restriction, it would be chaos!  

I'm clutching my pearls at the thought.

Once the switch occurs in October, the rules will be updated.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Its the journey said:

They don't want to confuse the issue right now.  At the moment the "riff raff" can use the area for 100 per day.  If they lifted the age restriction, it would be chaos!  

I'm clutching my pearls at the thought.

Once the switch occurs in October, the rules will be updated.   

And you have that on what authority?

It's pretty darn clear, 16+ for Sanctuary Collection Sanctuary use - given that the info is specific to the changeover to Sanctuary Collection..

While I agree - it's ridiculous to think families would book with the knowledge that they're kids wouldn't be able to use one of the largest draws - it is quite clear that they're not changing it. At least to start.  

Whether they'll re-evaluate after a few weeks/months - anyone's guess.  Sun has been an ongoing evolution of changes...