Park 19 on the Sun Princess

I'm assuming because child numbers are relatively low, they often merge all the 0-12 year olds into the firefly room (Neon Grove is supposed to be the space for 8-12 year olds)  This will hopefully change when there are more kiddos on board, I hope. But because I have an active boy with lots of energy, he is pretty bored with the kids club overall. He enjoys the video games and elements of it but he needs more opportunities to run around and get energy out- park 19 would be perfect, ughhh! He is not a big crafter which is mostly what they have been doing. Also close to park 19 there's a netted area with some large connect 4 games (both faulty though), a bean bag toss and little trikes for 2-5 year olds, again not much going on for older kids. We are a pretty easy going family overall but this cruise just doesn't seem that kid friendly to us. There isn't even a kids section in the eatery(buffet) which I also assumed was standard on princess cruises??? Luckily, he can live off the pizza which happens to be amazing! We will have dinner in the MDR tomorrow night and I really hope there's a kid menu! But yeah, for our first ever cruise as a family with a 9 year old, maybe Royal Caribbean would have been the better choice for his sake. For adults though, this cruise is paradise!! 

We are on the ship until Sat, so if you have anymore questions, ask away 🙂

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kris1981 said:

Hey again, 

My partner just got back from guest services and questioned what is going on. After insisting on some answers, he finally got some!! Because the ship was built in Italy, Park 19 passed all Italian regulations BUT did not pass international safety tests but they keep saying they're hopeful it will open soon! But they are definitely beating around the bush and being secretive about it. 

Did they hint at a price for the Roller glider?

9 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Huge kids play area, no retreat for adults.  Turning into carnival 

Will singing and dancing waiters in the MDR be next?

3 hours ago, Kris1981 said:

I'm assuming because child numbers are relatively low, they often merge all the 0-12 year olds into the firefly room (Neon Grove is supposed to be the space for 8-12 year olds)  This will hopefully change when there are more kiddos on board, I hope. But because I have an active boy with lots of energy, he is pretty bored with the kids club overall. He enjoys the video games and elements of it but he needs more opportunities to run around and get energy out- park 19 would be perfect, ughhh! He is not a big crafter which is mostly what they have been doing. Also close to park 19 there's a netted area with some large connect 4 games (both faulty though), a bean bag toss and little trikes for 2-5 year olds, again not much going on for older kids. We are a pretty easy going family overall but this cruise just doesn't seem that kid friendly to us. There isn't even a kids section in the eatery(buffet) which I also assumed was standard on princess cruises??? Luckily, he can live off the pizza which happens to be amazing! We will have dinner in the MDR tomorrow night and I really hope there's a kid menu! But yeah, for our first ever cruise as a family with a 9 year old, maybe Royal Caribbean would have been the better choice for his sake. For adults though, this cruise is paradise!! 

I do have a question. I heard they were starting to charge for soft serve ice cream on the sun princess. Is this true? Or did they see the error of their ways? 

4 hours ago, Mary Kelly said:

I do have a question. I heard they were starting to charge for soft serve ice cream on the sun princess. Is this true? Or did they see the error of their ways? 

I'm still unsure about this myself! We got a soft serve cone yesterday for my son and it says $4 for premium soft serve at coffee and cones but included in premier package. We have the plus package and I don't see a charge on our folio but maybe it will be added later? There is another soft serve section in the eatery ( outdoor section) that we will check out later today which is definitely included 🙂

On 5/7/2024 at 10:07 AM, levonfan said:

Anyone have an update on Park 19 opening??? We are scheduled to go in 3 weeks. 

Not open yet sadly! We are currently on the ship. 

The soft serve at cones is free to plus and premium packages. $4 for non packages.   It is gelato soft serve.  Which is why it isn't free. Hope that helps

14 hours ago, EDDY0827 said:

Will singing and dancing waiters in the MDR be next?

Yep, and they'll make them sing "America the Beautiful" as you eat dinner. 

9 hours ago, Kris1981 said:

I'm still unsure about this myself! We got a soft serve cone yesterday for my son and it says $4 for premium soft serve at coffee and cones but included in premier package. We have the plus package and I don't see a charge on our folio but maybe it will be added later? There is another soft serve section in the eatery ( outdoor section) that we will check out later today which is definitely included 🙂

Please do. I find it hard to believe they're charging for soft serve. 

5 hours ago, ILUVHOCKEY said:

The soft serve at cones is free to plus and premium packages. $4 for non packages.   It is gelato soft serve.  Which is why it isn't free. Hope that helps

Could there possible be regular sort serve and gelato sort serve at a different location?

34 minutes ago, 555 said:

Yep, and they'll make them sing "America the Beautiful" as you eat dinner. 

Please do. I find it hard to believe they're charging for soft serve. 

Could there possible be regular sort serve and gelato sort serve at a different location?

When the ship first launched someone mentioned that the free soft serve is not on the lido deck, but rather on deck 9.  I am not sure if that is still the case, but maybe post on a Live thread to see if they will check.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Amy G said:

When the ship first launched someone mentioned that the free soft serve is not on the lido deck, but rather on deck 9.  I am not sure if that is still the case, but maybe post on a Live thread to see if they will check.

I recall that post and that was the last I heard about it. 

No one ever confirmed if it was free on deck 9. 

24 minutes ago, 555 said:

I recall that post and that was the last I heard about it. 

No one ever confirmed if it was free on deck 9. 

It is indeed included in base fare on deck 9 but not on lido, very odd 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kris1981 said:

Man, Princess really is turning into other cruise lines.  It's a shame.  

Oh well, until they modify the older ships,  we still have those.   I hope they get tons of negative feedback on these new ships and realize their loyal customers do not want carnival or royal caribbean 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Kris1981 said:

We'll at least it where the buffet is located. 

7 minutes ago, JimmyVWine said:

Learn something new every day.  Didn't know it existed.

https://www.italiangelato.info/gelato/soft-serve.kl

I've ordered the gelato in their DR a few times and it didn't seem much different than regular ice cream... but then again neither does the gelato near the IC compared what I've experienced off the ship.

14 minutes ago, kywildcatfanone said:

Man, Princess really is turning into other cruise lines.  It's a shame.  

Oh well, until they modify the older ships,  we still have those.   I hope they get tons of negative feedback on these new ships and realize their loyal customers do not want carnival or royal caribbean 

I'm beginning to think the same way. The more I hear about all these changes on the Sun, the more it's making me want to stick with the Royal class. 

We're not the type to change for the sake of it.

I guess were just getting to old. 🧓👴

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kris1981 said:

This could be because schools in the United States aren’t out yet (can’t comment about schools anywhere else). 

We were on the Sky Princess last spring break and the kids clubs were packed. Our teen loved it. We’ll be on the Sun Princess in a month and am sure there will be lots of kids at least the first day or two, when the kids seem to make their connections. And the Kids Clubs aren’t for every kid. We met a pre-teen on the last cruise who hated it and preferred to spend time with their parents. 

I am disappointed about Park 19. We were really hoping by now it would be open b/c our teen was really looking forward to it and they advertised it so much. I’m just assuming by mid-June when we sail, it will still be closed. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GK95 said:

I am disappointed about Park 19. We were really hoping by now it would be open b/c our teen was really looking forward to it and they advertised it so much. I’m just assuming by mid-June when we sail, it will still be closed. 

That's sad.

• Like 1

On 5/13/2024 at 7:15 PM, Kris1981 said:

Hey again, 

My partner just got back from guest services and questioned what is going on. After insisting on some answers, he finally got some!! Because the ship was built in Italy, Park 19 passed all Italian regulations BUT did not pass international safety tests but they keep saying they're hopeful it will open soon! But they are definitely beating around the bush and being secretive about it. 

Hmmm, that does not ring true. Italy is in the EU, so would have to comply with EU safety regs, which are generally very high. 

1 hour ago, Scirocco Breeze said:

Hmmm, that does not ring true. Italy is in the EU, so would have to comply with EU safety regs, which are generally very high. 

Really? Well then they're lying about it in that case because that's what guest service rep told my husband 😞