Live from the Jewel April 29-May 13, 2024: will definitely contain sarcasm and grumpiness

Just now, graphicguy said:

I love it.

If you don't mind, it would save me some time if you have the template.  email is my Cruise Critic moniker at Yahoo.

You got it.  Will come from mrstocko (my screen name) at gmail.  Will even throw in my itinerary file, use it if you want.  I stole it from some one else my self.

I really hope to bump into you on board or in the spa 🙂

I too love to read - and sadly, I also have an ailing parent ( I REALLY need this vacation, so I may end up not being that sociable...).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more, whether or not I manage to meet you.

• Like 2

On 4/22/2024 at 6:04 PM, natefish95 said:

You mentioned trivia earlier…I can foresee a very angry man with how trivia is done on the ship (from my experience). Numerous questions were worded poorly or just wrong. 

Reminds me of sailing roundtrip from Buenos Aires to Antarctica on the Star, some of the Spanish speaking passengers requested that the question be translated to Spanish as they did not recognize one of the words. The questions was "What country is named for the saviour?"  Once translated, the answer became self-evident - El Salvador.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Posted (edited)

Hi Yvonne, we hope to visit Granville Market the day before our cruise. We had not planned on getting any CDN currency.  Do most shops/vendors in the market take USD or credit cards?  Apple Pay?  

Thanks…and really looking forward to your travel adventures with Dad.  We’re on the sailing after yours

Bon Voyage!

Edited by laudergayle
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, NillaB said:

I really hope to bump into you on board or in the spa 🙂

I too love to read - and sadly, I also have an ailing parent ( I REALLY need this vacation, so I may end up not being that sociable...).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading more, whether or not I manage to meet you.

I want to meet you too!

6 hours ago, laudergayle said:

Hi Yvonne, we hope to visit Granville Market the day before our cruise. We had not planned on getting any CDN currency.  Do most shops/vendors in the market take USD or credit cards?  Apple Pay?  

Thanks…and really looking forward to your travel adventures with Dad.  We’re on the sailing after yours

Bon Voyage!

Hi!

All the stalls at Granville Island as well as all the shops and restaurants will take credit cards. When I was there last week one store had a sign stating, “we are cashless.” I never use cash in Vancouver.

I don’t think paying in US cash would be a good idea. 

Best wishes for a fabulous pre-cruise stay in Vancouver! I’m happy to answer any other questions.

I hope one day we’ll be on the same sailing!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, GALSews said:

Reminds me of sailing roundtrip from Buenos Aires to Antarctica on the Star, some of the Spanish speaking passengers requested that the question be translated to Spanish as they did not recognize one of the words. The questions was "What country is named for the saviour?"  Once translated, the answer became self-evident - El Salvador.

Maybe this question will come up in trivia! Thanks to you I now know the answer.

I remember the first question I was ever asked in NCL trivia: what colour is yak’s milk?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Monday April 22 was Earth Day. If anyone wants a powerful and inspiring true story with gorgeous artwork, this is the anchor text I’ve been using with all my classes

IMG_3963.thumb.jpeg.bc61ef68dcd263b22ac93a24b7de2a1e.jpeg

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 8

Following along as usual!  I remembered your Encore encore live review and reread it since you included the link. Did you realize that whole review was a total of 4 pages long? This review will surely be at 4 pages or more before you embark on Monday.

Wishing you and your Dad a wonderful birthday celebration cruise! 🎂🥳

I look forward to a summer of live reviews from you no matter the cruise line if you plan to keep writing about your adventures.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, MrsTocko said:

You got it.  Will come from mrstocko (my screen name) at gmail.  Will even throw in my itinerary file, use it if you want.  I stole it from some one else my self.

Thanks a bunch!!!!!!

Posted (edited)

My hopes for this trip

1. 1.  For my dad to have a great time and feel safe, secure and confident. I discovered during the spring break cruise how much I love unscheduled days but my dad takes immense pleasure from circling all the desired events in the Freestyle Daily. Along with this, he also loves finding and circling typos in the Freestyle Daily and leaving these for the room steward. I make sure he leaves the room first so I can garbage them before the room steward sees them. 

1. 2.  Walk every day. When we did the full Panama Canal crossing on the Gem I made sure I walked 10000 steps before having a drink each day. That won’t be happening on this trip as I am having pineapple mimosas upon waking.

1. 3.  To avoid all possible encounters with all forms of Sweet Caroline. The blue-sequined jacket wearing impersonator from Howl at the Moon on the  Breakaway broke my last Neil Diamond straw.

1. 4.  To inhale clean air in Icy Strait Point. They have excellent air which, unlike Free at Sea, is actually free.

1. 5.  Build a snowperson atop Mount Hoonah

1. 6.  Buy huckleberry truffles for myself, dad and @ceilidh1 Remember last year when I put my truffles in the fridge and my dad secured his in the safe? @ChiefMateJRK said dad is always right!

7.  Cake. I would like some cake. I would also like a doughnut from Jellyfish. Did you know they opened a location in Juneau in addition to the one on Water Street in Ketchikan? This allows for a 4/14 chance of doughnuts in cruise ship math. It increases to 5/14 when we factor in the mini doughnuts in Icy Strait Point.

1. 8.  Maybe play some crib.  My dad and I used to spend hours playing Scrabble throughout different seasons of life. From when I was a kid and he ruthlessly beat me (he is a world Scrabble champion) to playing on motor home road trips and cruise ship sea days, we played and played and played. He now says Scrabble hurts his brain so maybe he would enjoy a game of crib with a beer. We play crib at pubs especially when there are outdoor picnic tables.  Too bad there isn’t a District Brew Pub on the Jewel but there are plenty of other places to get beer for dad and whiskey for me.

1. 9.  Sit at the bow in a deck chair on deck 13 and just watch the ocean. This would be better during a UV emitting time rather than an umbrella needing time. 

1. 10.  Watch the docking and departing. I love this and don’t always put myself in a place to see it. Cheryl Strayed said there’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it. I feel this way about dockside procedures and I think @shadowmeboy does too. I like it when they throw ropes and miss!

1. 11.  Of course, I’d love to bask in the slow settings of the sun that turn the skies crimsons and ambers and violets. There’s hope in a sunset and promise in a sunrise but I don’t see many of those in a year because I like to sleep in. A lot.

1. 12. Go to Asylum in Ketchikan and Klondike Brewing in Skagway. Looking at you, @theliterateleprechaun (my friend from grade 1 is going to be on another ship and we have two ports together!)

1. 13.  Maybe buy a waterproof jacket at the Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan, upstairs where the real clothes are, not downstairs with the tourist crap.

1. 14.  Read. This is what I want most of all.  I packed a bunch of Purdy’s chocolates for crew-members-become-friends and this took up book space so I am going to play book roulette and take my chances with the library onboard. This is risky! (This is also about as risky as I get: I’m a rule follower!)

Edited by YVRteacher
  • Like 15

3 hours ago, Seas2mountains said:

Following along as usual!  I remembered your Encore encore live review and reread it since you included the link. Did you realize that whole review was a total of 4 pages long? This review will surely be at 4 pages or more before you embark on Monday.

Wishing you and your Dad a wonderful birthday celebration cruise! 🎂🥳

I look forward to a summer of live reviews from you no matter the cruise line if you plan to keep writing about your adventures.  

That’s funny! I never go back and read my previous reviews. I booked that trip a few days before sailing and was onboard to spend time with a friend who is a bartender so I didn’t have much to say. The Encore is such a beautiful ship and Deepak is a top notch GM.

Thank you for the birthday wishes!

When is your next cruise?

• Like 1

@libtrek I have an idea! We could register my dad and your husband for adult Splash Academy. They could watch Grumpy Old Men and Benny Hill skits, eat soup and pudding, play 1950s records and have nap time.

I just packed a stack of Post-It Notes so I can do errands and go get ice cream and my dad will know where I am and not forget and panic.

I do realize the stuff that comes out of the ice cream machine isn’t real ice cream. I know this because I have to be careful with dairy and that stuff is just fine.

Speaking of ice cream, the parents at my school got together and paid off the ice cream man to stop driving by every day at 3:04pm (school gets out at 3:03pm.)

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

You forgot:

15. Treat dad to a luxurious heated lounger in the thermal suite and delight in his joy at how comfortable they are.

ps I have a secret. But I can’t tell you. All will be revealed in due course (I hope. I’ve lost all faith in relying on people to do their job this week so who knows) Shhhhhh

• Like 8

Wait!  Are you quitting your job for a life at sea? Are you going to be one of those people who has their own designated seat in the theatre and sits at the same spot by the pool every day, writing postcards to people saying “wish you were here” when really you have no desire for them to be there? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

My hopes for this trip

1. 1.  For my dad to have a great time and feel safe, secure and confident. I discovered during the spring break cruise how much I love unscheduled days but my dad takes immense pleasure from circling all the desired events in the Freestyle Daily. Along with this, he also loves finding and circling typos in the Freestyle Daily and leaving these for the room steward. I make sure he leaves the room first so I can garbage them before the room steward sees them. 

1. 2.  Walk every day. When we did the full Panama Canal crossing on the Gem I made sure I walked 10000 steps before having a drink each day. That won’t be happening on this trip as I am having pineapple mimosas upon waking.

1. 3.  To avoid all possible encounters with all forms of Sweet Caroline. The blue-sequined jacket wearing impersonator from Howl at the Moon on the  Breakaway broke my last Neil Diamond straw.

1. 4.  To inhale clean air in Icy Strait Point. They have excellent air which, unlike Free at Sea, is actually free.

1. 5.  Build a snowperson atop Mount Hoonah

1. 6.  Buy huckleberry truffles for myself, dad and @ceilidh1 Remember last year when I put my truffles in the fridge and my dad secured his in the safe? @ChiefMateJRK said dad is always right!

7.  Cake. I would like some cake. I would also like a doughnut from Jellyfish. Did you know they opened a location in Juneau in addition to the one on Water Street in Ketchikan? This allows for a 4/14 chance of doughnuts in cruise ship math. It increases to 5/14 when we factor in the mini doughnuts in Icy Strait Point.

1. 8.  Maybe play some crib.  My dad and I used to spend hours playing Scrabble throughout different seasons of life. From when I was a kid and he ruthlessly beat me (he is a world Scrabble champion) to playing on motor home road trips and cruise ship sea days, we played and played and played. He now says Scrabble hurts his brain so maybe he would enjoy a game of crib with a beer. We play crib at pubs especially when there are outdoor picnic tables.  Too bad there isn’t a District Brew Pub on the Jewel but there are plenty of other places to get beer for dad and whiskey for me.

1. 9.  Sit at the bow in a deck chair on deck 13 and just watch the ocean. This would be better during a UV emitting time rather than an umbrella needing time. 

1. 10.  Watch the docking and departing. I love this and don’t always put myself in a place to see it. Cheryl Strayed said there’s always a sunrise and always a sunset and it’s up to you to choose to be there for it. I feel this way about dockside procedures and I think @shadowmeboy does too. I like it when they throw ropes and miss!

1. 11.  Of course, I’d love to bask in the slow settings of the sun that turn the skies crimsons and ambers and violets. There’s hope in a sunset and promise in a sunrise but I don’t see many of those in a year because I like to sleep in. A lot.

1. 12. Go to Asylum in Ketchikan and Klondike Brewing in Skagway. Looking at you, @theliterateleprechaun (my friend from grade 1 is going to be on another ship and we have two ports together!)

1. 13.  Maybe buy a waterproof jacket at the Tongass Trading Company in Ketchikan, upstairs where the real clothes are, not downstairs with the tourist crap.

1. 14.  Read. This is what I want most of all.  I packed a bunch of Purdy’s chocolates for crew-members-become-friends and this took up book space so I am going to play book roulette and take my chances with the library onboard. This is risky! (This is also about as risky as I get: I’m a rule follower!)

1. Too Funny!

2. A Pineapple Mimosa sounds awesome (checks NCL app for # of days till next sailing), I wish I had one right now!

3. Lol!

4. Yes! The Halibut Fish & Chips from the restaurant down by the cannery are good too!

5. That sounds like a lot of walking, with no bar at the top!

6. Yum!

7. Good to know!

8. I love playing Crib!

9. I prefer the great outdoors, but that is personal preference. I hate the tall wind screens. Tougher to get good pictures though.

10. Yes! I love watching docking and undocking. We got to see the Bliss leave Ketchikan while on the Sun last summer. We stood not 5 feet from the guys throwing the bow lines as the Bliss was departing. So amazing! Whales and Sunrise/Sunsets are right up there too!

11. Love it!

12. It’s always fun meeting friends in port when they are on a different ship!

13. Nice!

14. Good luck on the book roulette! You could always pick up a book in Alaska if the mission fails onboard.

Have an amazing trip!

Matthew

• Like 6

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

@libtrek I have an idea! We could register my dad and your husband for adult Splash Academy. They could watch Grumpy Old Men and Benny Hill skits, eat soup and pudding, play 1950s records and have nap time.

I just packed a stack of Post-It Notes so I can do errands and go get ice cream and my dad will know where I am and not forget and panic.

I do realize the stuff that comes out of the ice cream machine isn’t real ice cream. I know this because I have to be careful with dairy and that stuff is just fine.

Speaking of ice cream, the parents at my school got together and paid off the ice cream man to stop driving by every day at 3:04pm (school gets out at 3:03pm.)

Yes, yes! BTW, I actually found little books of post-it notes. I shall bring you a few. R has been a bit mellower lately, hope it continues. I think ice cream in all varieties is a useful bribe. R cannot have booze with his Alzheimer drugs. So, I will be quietly ordering n/a beer, mock Long Island Ice Tea, etc. I just noticed that R has hidden the bolero tie he has been wearing under his shirt for months. Maybe it can stay lost? C U soon. Maltings bar at 4:30 on Monday?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Wait, what - huckleberry truffles?? Where, when, how?

My list:

1. Naps 

2. At least 2 Aperol Spritz every day (can on odd days be exchanged for mojitos or g&t's)

3. Stare out at water and views cocooned in the spa, completely forgetting my book (kindle)

4. Hopefully find the energi to meet as many nice people as I usually do 🙂

5. Buy weird candy for my kids

6. Eat crepes and nutella creme brulee - missed that last cruise!

7. Spot a lot of wildlife, except:

8. NOT to see a bear!

9. Find the courage to do the trams

10. Renew my energi for coming back home

🙂

• Like 3

6 hours ago, YVRteacher said:

Wait!  Are you quitting your job for a life at sea? Are you going to be one of those people who has their own designated seat in the theatre and sits at the same spot by the pool every day, writing postcards to people saying “wish you were here” when really you have no desire for them to be there? 

This is what I will be doing when I finally find my old, rich guy. Sadly, I currently keep winding up with poor, young dudes....#fail 

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

Posted (edited)

@YVRteacher good luck with #3 on your list. We survived 11 days on Jade without hearing Sweet Caroline once! 😁Unlike on Carnival Celebration where we heard it multiple times a day. 🤪And I thought we'd be hearing Kool and the Gang's Celebrate.

Edited by SenatorsFan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

Wait, what - huckleberry truffles?? Where, when, how?

🙂

Sorry, I didn't mean to post my list in your thread - I thought I was posting in the group for the sailing 🙄 (yes, I need a vacation...)

I would still like to hear about the truffles, though 😁

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NillaB said:

Sorry, I didn't mean to post my list in your thread - I thought I was posting in the group for the sailing 🙄 (yes, I need a vacation...)

I would still like to hear about the truffles, though 😁

I love that you posted in this thread!

Huckleberry truffles are a must! They are at the Alaskan Fudge Company in Juneau. Check out their website for all the flavours!

• Like 3

Just now, YVRteacher said:

Huckleberry truffles are a must! They are at the Alaskan Fudge Company in Juneau. Check out their website for all the flavours!

They will ship stuff as well! We have done that multiple times!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

I'm making a list of places we may need to visit. Thanks,

• Like 1